The Student Room Group

Switzerland. An Amazing underrated country

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Aceadria
What do you mean by 'having access to'?

That is precisely where you are wrong. Openly criticising a dictator and openly opposing Nazism increased its risk of invasion. Moreover, the freedom you claim it now enjoys is not only due to that fact; its sound governmental and political system, symbolised by a direct democracy is the driving force behind its freedom.

Are you therefore suggesting that opposition to a regime can only be manifested by military intervention?

You actually think Switzerland opposed Hitler?

I am sure they did that when they took all the Jew money and art and whatnot and kept it safe for the Nazis.
Switzerland doesn't have nuclear weapons and is not a member of NATO or the EU.

Perhaps the UK should follow its lead.
Original post by inhuman
You actually think Switzerland opposed Hitler?

What I think is irrelevant. I'm simply voicing the facts here.

Original post by inhuman
I am sure they did that when they took all the Jew money and art and whatnot and kept it safe for the Nazis.

I don't think you've fully understood how banking secrecy worked. Moreover, I fail to see how 'Nazi gold' is linked to public and governmental opinion of the Nazi state.
Reply 43
What I think is irrelevant. I'm simply voicing the facts here.

I don't think you've fully understood how banking secrecy worked. Moreover, I fail to see how 'Nazi gold' is linked to public and governmental opinion of the Nazi state.

What facts are you voicing?

It's all business brah, innit?
Original post by inhuman
What facts are you voicing?

Read my previous replies. Not in the habit of repeating myself.

Original post by inhuman
It's all business brah, innit?

Perhaps, but to state that it's only business is misrepresenting historical facts.
Reply 45
Read my previous replies. Not in the habit of repeating myself.

Perhaps, but to state that it's only business is misrepresenting historical facts.

Yes, and I read no facts, hence I asked. What do you think are the facts you are writing that support the idea that Switzerland opposed Hitler?

So why did you ask what they had to do with the governmental view of the Nazi state?
Original post by inhuman
Yes, and I read no facts, hence I asked. What do you think are the facts you are writing that support the idea that Switzerland opposed Hitler?

Geistige Landesverteidigung.

Original post by inhuman
So why did you ask what they had to do with the governmental view of the Nazi state?

Care to clarify?
Reply 47
Geistige Landesverteidigung.

Care to clarify?

I actually laughed out loud. These Swiss huh, the masters of double think. Yea, you fight those Germans in your head.

"Moreover, I fail to see how 'Nazi gold' is linked to public and governmental opinion of the Nazi state."
Original post by inhuman
I actually laughed out loud. These Swiss huh, the masters of double think. Yea, you fight those Germans in your head.

We were not discussing 'fighting' but 'opposing'. These are two very different things.

Original post by inhuman
"Moreover, I fail to see how 'Nazi gold' is linked to public and governmental opinion of the Nazi state."

Your answer does not answer this question. It does not take into consideration that banking secrecy and governmental policy in the interwar and WWII period were separate.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Switzerland doesn't have nuclear weapons and is not a member of NATO or the EU.

Perhaps the UK should follow its lead.

In other words,Switzerland is heaven on earth. Even Swiss choc will make you feel good about yourself. We love you Switzerland <3
Reply 50
Original post by queen-bee
In other words,Switzerland is heaven on earth. Even Swiss choc will make you feel good about yourself. We love you Switzerland <3

They also have watch shops like rolex on nearly every corner.
Original post by Listers
They also have watch shops like rolex on nearly every corner.

Coz they want you feeling rich. It's a beautiful place. I usually just go to visit family or for chocolate,but the scenery is also breathtaking
Reply 52
Coz they want you feeling rich. It's a beautiful place. I usually just go to visit family or for chocolate,but the scenery is also breathtaking

I didn't say that was bad.

They are one of the richest countries in the world and the richest in Europe, so i would expect that from them.
Coz they want you feeling rich.

Or the fact that the watch industry remains crucial to the Swiss economy.
Reply 54
Original post by Listers
I didn't say that was bad.

They are one of the richest countries in the world and the richest in Europe, so i would expect that from them.

By what measure are they the richest?

I would have thought that Luxembourg or Liechtenstein have an even higher average standard of living, because yes if you have a good job in CH you will be doing well, but there are many, mostly foreigners from the Balkan, that have poorly paid jobs and in an expensive country like CH they will have it tough.

Aye,when you think of Rolex the first thing that comes to mind is Switzerland. Do you know the history of the watch industry in Switzerland?
Reply 56
Original post by inhuman
By what measure are they the richest?

I would have thought that Luxembourg or Liechtenstein have an even higher average standard of living, because yes if you have a good job in CH you will be doing well, but there are many, mostly foreigners from the Balkan, that have poorly paid jobs and in an expensive country like CH they will have it tough.

http://www.thelocal.ch/20150930/swiss-households-remain-richest-in-the-world

It's solely based on their GDP per capita not how much money the countries has in trades.

Norway, Finland etc are also very rich countries.
Reply 57

The Swiss are great at finding ways of making money.
If they were IN THE EU they would have pavements literally paved with 24ct gold and ISIS would be loving caring philantropists SMH
Reply 59
Original post by Listers
http://www.thelocal.ch/20150930/swiss-households-remain-richest-in-the-world

It's solely based on their GDP per capita not how much money the countries has in trades.

Norway, Finland etc are also very rich countries.

**** me, I am poor by Swiss standards :/

Although I guess I have some years to build up my assets.

Quick Reply