The Student Room Group

PY3 and PY4 2016

Hi, so ive been really stupid and left my revision for pyschology late. Ive made all my model answers however i just need to learn then. The first exam is PY3 which is june 8th, that exam doesnt seem so hard because the questions are kinda easy but still i dont have so long, same with PY4, how long does it usually take to memorise one model answer? Thankssss
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
It usually takes me around one week to learn an essay if I go through it a few times with somebody testing me. I usually just put the essay plan into bullet points, then a mindmap and get someone to test me and It seems to go in my head. But I always have to go over it to make it stick.

Which areas are you doing? I'm doing memory, levels of consciousness & forensics.

Yeah I agree the py3 doesn't seem too bad, but I'm just worried about the 2 questions you've got to pick at the end!
Reply 3
[QUOTE= but still i dont have so long, same with PY4, how long does it usually take to memorise one model answer? Thankssss

around 1.30-2 hours? You've got plenty of time dw just start revising now :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Pinky018
Hi, so ive been really stupid and left my revision for pyschology late. Ive made all my model answers however i just need to learn then. The first exam is PY3 which is june 8th, that exam doesnt seem so hard because the questions are kinda easy but still i dont have so long, same with PY4, how long does it usually take to memorise one model answer? Thankssss

WJEC hate replications of model answers. You're best off writing the essay fresh in the exam so that it flows.

This is from the 2015 examiner's report for PY4:

"The ‘cloning’ of essays was commented on by far too many examiners; many centres appear to have a standard essay in detail that is memorised by students, rather than an outline that is embellished by further individual study. It is assumed that this has grown as a response to institutional pressures on teachers. However, it is not seen as an effective way of preparing for the exam, due to the lack of basic understanding resulting in some muddled and confused responses given the pressure of the situation. This is a concern and teachers are strongly advised not to pursue this route to give their students, especially those targeting A* - B grades the best opportunity for success."

I've condensed all of the studies into small summaries (if you have the Flanagan A2 Psychology Textbook it does that for you in the end of chapter summaries) that I'm memorising so that in the exam I can extrapolate and elaborate what I know into an essay.

I would seriously recommend reading through the examiner's reports here - you gain an understanding for what the examiner really wants (and also understand how picky WJEC are).

If you need any resources: please let me know and I'll see what I can do :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by charthec
WJEC hate replications of model answers. You're best off writing the essay fresh in the exam so that it flows.

This is from the 2015 examiner's report for PY4:

"The ‘cloning’ of essays was commented on by far too many examiners; many centres appear to have a standard essay in detail that is memorised by students, rather than an outline that is embellished by further individual study. It is assumed that this has grown as a response to institutional pressures on teachers. However, it is not seen as an effective way of preparing for the exam, due to the lack of basic understanding resulting in some muddled and confused responses given the pressure of the situation. This is a concern and teachers are strongly advised not to pursue this route to give their students, especially those targeting A* - B grades the best opportunity for success."

I've condensed all of the studies into small summaries (if you have the Flanagan A2 Psychology Textbook it does that for you in the end of chapter summaries) that I'm memorising so that in the exam I can extrapolate and elaborate what I know into an essay.

I would seriously recommend reading through the examiner's reports here - you gain an understanding for what the examiner really wants (and also understand how picky WJEC are).

If you need any resources: please let me know and I'll see what I can do :smile:

I think the report is more about centre based answers which will be boring as for the examiners (think fatigue effects).

As long as you write out your essays to a good standard and either script learn them or learn each section loosely you should be alright
Reply 6
Original post by AlteredBoy
I think the report is more about centre based answers which will be boring as for the examiners (think fatigue effects).

As long as you write out your essays to a good standard and either script learn them or learn each section loosely you should be alright

I suppose, but my teacher's told me not to do it so I'm going to follow her advice. I'm memorising essay plans anyway so that I can fill in in the exam. :smile:

It's just so much and I'm panicking.
Original post by charthec
I suppose, but my teacher's told me not to do it so I'm going to follow her advice. I'm memorising essay plans anyway so that I can fill in in the exam. :smile:

It's just so much and I'm panicking.

I get you :/ If you have essays or notes or anything, put them through fromtexttospeech.com and save them to your phone. I find it helpful to listen to them to get them in my head and its useful if I'm out and dont have notes with me (plus I'm saving money not paying for Spotify premium 😂)
Heey guys, what are your predictions for wjec py3??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elchapo97

I really hope inferential tests, not too keen on dealing with reliability/validity though and I don't think they came up last year
I really hope inferential tests, not too keen on dealing with reliability/validity though and I don't think they came up last year

wb for the 15 markers??
wb for the 15 markers??

Dealing with ethical issues is a gut feeling, ethics with humans and disadvantages of the scientific method possibly
I get you :/ If you have essays or notes or anything, put them through fromtexttospeech.com and save them to your phone. I find it helpful to listen to them to get them in my head and its useful if I'm out and dont have notes with me (plus I'm saving money not paying for Spotify premium 😂)

I have hearing loss so I can't really do that, but thank you for the advice 😊

I have no idea 😢
its never too late to start learning, you can EASILY learn an essay a day its achievable if your focused and serious about working hard now. Just put in the time and effort now and you'll be fine, good luck :smile:
yeah but if the persons only starting revising nowww, they are pushing it abit they don't really have the time to be going through their notes making unique essays, best just to get something learnt quicker tbh and still pull a decent grade on it.
Does anyone know the AO1/AO2 requirements for the PY3 essays?

Im pretty sure on the mark scheme it says its all just AO2, we have been told to write counter arguments throughout e.g. for use of animals and against use of animals, as a back and forth argument.

Original post by chelseynicolexx
Im pretty sure on the mark scheme it says its all just AO2, we have been told to write counter arguments throughout e.g. for use of animals and against use of animals, as a back and forth argument.

From the spec:

"Section C requires two short essays from a choice of three. These essays test the AO3 skill and are worth 15 marks each."

"AO3 How science works - Psychology
- Designing, conducting and reporting psychological investigation(s); choosing from a range of methods; and taking into account the issues of reliability, validity and ethics.
- Draw conclusions from data with precision and accuracy.
- Analyse, interpret, explain and evaluate the methodology, results and impact of investigative activities in a variety of ways.
- In addition A level candidates should be able to:design investigations and draw valid conclusions from them; analyse data including the use of inferential statistics; and understand the scientific nature of Psychology"

I'm pretty sure it tests AO1+2 though???
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending