The Student Room Group

How did you find AQA AS PHYSICS 24TH MAY

Poll

How did you find AQA AS physics

I've heard mixed responses. Is there a lot of difference between the new and old spec. Is the new spec easier or harder?
I would say it's harder than the old papers but then you get an extra 15 minutes so it's really fine :3 only question i struggled was the 1 mark stopping voltage thing (used emf = E/Q)

I was expecting bogusly hard questions like the specimen papers.
Reply 2
Original post by middleagedpotato
I would say it's harder than the old papers but then you get an extra 15 minutes so it's really fine :3 only question i struggled was the 1 mark stopping voltage thing (used emf = E/Q)

Want do you think you got. Also, isn't stopping voltage where you just covert joules into electron volts.
I found it really difficult

Spoiler

Reply 4

your doing joules per coulomb for voltage so that is right :smile:
Alot easier than expected compared to those nasty specimen papers. But ive got a feeling the paper 2 with the practical and multiple choice aint gonna be as easy.
Original post by BioMan231
Alot easier than expected compared to those nasty specimen papers. But ive got a feeling the paper 2 with the practical and multiple choice aint gonna be as easy.

stop talking like yo ass in black.

black boyzz not good at physics, embrace stererotype
Stopping potential is eV=KE
E= charge of an electron
V= stopping potential
KE= kinetic energy
Reply 8
The answer was 0.84V if I remember correctly
Reply 9
I believe I did well enough to get a high A but... this makes me a little considerate on whether I should actually avoid past papers and focus on content? All the past papers had not aided one bit in that paper(maybe worth 3 marks, in this case only gained me 1 mark) , but it wasn't hard either more theory in depth based though.

Anyone have any comments on that?
Reply 10
I got 0.90 (rounded) for stopping potential. Divide EK by e.
Reply 11
Original post by jtru
I believe I did well enough to get a high A but... this makes me a little considerate on whether I should actually avoid past papers and focus on content? All the past papers had not aided one bit in that paper(maybe worth 3 marks, in this case only gained me 1 mark) , but it wasn't hard either more theory in depth based though.

Anyone have any comments on that?

Was it easier than the past papers?
Reply 12
Original post by Pra99
I've heard mixed responses. Is there a lot of difference between the new and old spec. Is the new spec easier or harder?

I did quite a lot of preparation for this exam but felt entirely screwed when I looked at past paper questions and the specimen papers. However, the paper seemed fairly nice. I think I got a B or a C in this one (which for physics, to me is pretty outstanding lol)

The paper was so much different to any of the specimen papers etc

However I have heard very mixed opinions. Quite a few thought it was terrible...
Original post by babyetu
I got 0.90 (rounded) for stopping potential. Divide EK by e.

I believe so, I checked with my friends and 2 of us got 0.88V while the other got 0.89V
Reply 14
Why is everyone talking about emf=e/q for the stopping potential question? How can you work outstopping potential from that equation?
Reply 15
I believe so, I checked with my friends and 2 of us got 0.88V while the other got 0.89V

Ohhh, so it just divide by 1.6*10^-16
Reply 16
Original post by Pra99
Was it easier than the past papers?

Well... If I was to say honestly, it is not truly easier than a past paper,

(given that I finished this paper 10 minutes to the end whereas I have 30 minutes extra time on a past paper; working at the same pace)

however it will seem easier to answer because most of the questions we were asked, tested understanding over memorization/equations to a far greater extend. You had to know why this was like this , but because of that you didn't have to face any complex calculations or specific questions. It was like asking a student why does gravity act on an object as oppose to calculate the time that object is in the air for, if it is falling from height x. So if you had not memorized anything and simply understood the content you would do better than you would normally , whereas those who have studied and understood the content are not at a incomparable greater advantage unless they have gone more in depth. If I was really to compare, it was like replacing every state , with why does this happen. what if this happens, and then leaving a state or two to avoid suspicion.

For everyone who was hoping that paper to be similar to a past paper me included, it was simply a shock, it really makes me reconsider doing past papers at all, and instead marking on my specification "why?" on every point.

Quick Reply