The Student Room Group

Boss underpaid me £37

I just started a part time job. I'm 21 and the minimum salary for my age is £6.50. I work for a small company, it's based inside the bosses house. It's only the boss and 3 employees. When she initially emailed me about the job, she said my salary would be 7.20 an hour. I did 30 hours this week and counted my money when I got home (she paid in cash because I wasn't on payroll yet) and counted 183 as opposed to 216. What do I do? It could just be a mistake but I'm pretty pissed off right now. I'm super uncomfortable asking her about it as we basically work in the same room for 10 hours a day. What should I do? Does this possibly include tax?
Ask her for the working out of how she reached that amount. Obviously it looks like some tax will come off, but hard to say until you have a calculation.
Reply 2
I wouldn't imagine you'd be getting taxed...
I had a similar problem to this. Is this your only job? If you have two then you will get taxed by at least one (about 20% I think). However with that pay there is no way you should be taxed with only one job.. Ask your boss politely, she'll understand
It sounds like she's paid you in cash legally with tax not "cash in hand". If this is your only job however you shouldn't be paying that much, you get £11k tax free and £216 per week works out at £11232 per annum so your tax payment should only be a few pence plus a few pounds for National Insurance.

Don't feel uncomfortable about asking her, money's money and it's yours that you're entitled to. It's likely just an oversight anyway.
I'd say you've probably been taxed

Just ask your boss politely, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation behind it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
One of the most annoying problems with these kinds of pay-checks is a cut-off date. This means that you will get it added on to your next pay check, and only your first and last month with the company will be different. It seems as if that's what the issue is here :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Wesleigh
One of the most annoying problems with these kinds of pay-checks is a cut-off date. This means that you will get it added on to your next pay check, and only your first and last month with the company will be different. It seems as if that's what the issue is here :smile:
*cheque.

And that reminds me, I have to look into voluntary NI contributions...
Reply 8
Original post by Tootles
*cheque.

Wikipedia
A paycheck, also spelt pay cheque

It's personal preference which of the two you decide to use, and it's pointless pulling conversation away for such a minor mistake. Get a life.

On-topic: I doubt that the OP would get taxed for a ~£10,000/annum salary.
I am leaning towards not asking her. You don't want her to make you redundant and you don't have a job.
Original post by Wired_1800
I am leaning towards not asking her. You don't want her to make you redundant and you don't have a job.

Asking politely is much, much better than just ignoring it. If you joined the company after being promised one salary, and they pay another, you need to address the issue.

Just asking for clarification is most likely going to be the best idea.
Original post by Envee
I just started a part time job. I'm 21 and the minimum salary for my age is £6.50. I work for a small company, it's based inside the bosses house. It's only the boss and 3 employees. When she initially emailed me about the job, she said my salary would be 7.20 an hour. I did 30 hours this week and counted my money when I got home (she paid in cash because I wasn't on payroll yet) and counted 183 as opposed to 216. What do I do? It could just be a mistake but I'm pretty pissed off right now. I'm super uncomfortable asking her about it as we basically work in the same room for 10 hours a day. What should I do? Does this possibly include tax?

maybe a national insurance deduction ? the best thing is to ask your boss politely to go over the payment to help you understand... not to accuse her of ripping you off :h:
Asking politely is much, much better than just ignoring it. If you joined the company after being promised one salary, and they pay another, you need to address the issue.

Just asking for clarification is most likely going to be the best idea.

True. I was just concerned that the woman may take it the wrong way and create a reason to make him redundant. £37 is not worth the risk to lose your job IMO.
get someone to slaughter him/her
Have you accounted for unpaid breaks?
It's personal preference which of the two you decide to use, and it's pointless pulling conversation away for such a minor mistake. Get a life.

On-topic: I doubt that the OP would get taxed for a ~£10,000/annum salary.
... (or check in American English)
:rolleyes:
Original post by Redflag99
get someone to slaughter him/her

Don't you think that is a tiny bit too much for 37 quid?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending