The Student Room Group

Latin Prose Higher Paper 2016

Hello everybody!

I hope that all of your exams went well. I opted for the Pliny half of the paper which included 3 extracts from Avunculus Meus 1&2 and Arria. Struggled a little bit on the 8 marker to do literary analysis..What did you all do?

Good luck with the Poetry exam on Thursday afternoon?

Ps. was huic referring to her son..?
You don't have to analyse his language do you? I'm not sure you have to to get full marks.

I put that for huic as well.

I came out paranoid that I skipped a page (but I don't actually know) because the test felt a little shorter than normal - can you remember any little questions so I can check that I did them? It would be so helpful - I'm pretty stressed!

Good luck with Thursday's paper! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by metellaest
You don't have to analyse his language do you? I'm not sure you have to to get full marks.

I put that for huic as well.

I came out paranoid that I skipped a page (but I don't actually know) because the test felt a little shorter than normal - can you remember any little questions so I can check that I did them? It would be so helpful - I'm pretty stressed!

Good luck with Thursday's paper! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

50 marks in total - the first 9 mark were to do with the extracts of the day in the life on pliny the elder.
Afterwards was about the death of pliny the elder which included the 10 mark essay and a further 10 marks in short-answer questions.
Following this was the 8 mark essay about how pliny the elder was presented as admirable.
Finally it was the questions about Arria (roughly 13 marks?)which ended with a four mark question asking you to make two bullets and reference the Latin.
Thanks! Can you think of an example of any of the death questions?
Thanks! Can you think of an example of any of the death questions?

These are not the exact questions but very similar:
1) Why did Pliny the younger choose not to go with his Uncle? (1)

2) Why was Rectina in danger? Give two points (2)

3) How did she convince Pliny to come save her? (1)

4) illic nox omnibus noctibus nigrior densiorque - How does Pliny emphasise the darkness: Give two bullet points and refer to the Latin. (4)

5) What would Pliny be using "faces" for? - (1)

6) placuit egredi in latus, et ex proximo ad spicere, num mare fugare praeberat.
a) Where was Pliny the Older off to? (1)

b) Why was he going there? (2)
Ahhhhhhhhh I didn't do some of those

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually maybe I did I'm not sure...oh I'm so stressed! If I do very well in both languages and Aeneid, is it still possible for me to get an A* overall if I get an A in this paper?

Thank you so much for replying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually maybe I did I'm not sure...oh I'm so stressed! If I do very well in both languages and Aeneid, is it still possible for me to get an A* overall if I get an A in this paper?

Thank you so much for replying

Posted from TSR Mobile

I phrased them slightly differently but yes it's still possible but it really depends on how well you did in the languages and will do in Aenied
Original post by Magenta AF
I phrased them slightly differently but yes it's still possible but it really depends on how well you did in the languages and will do in Aenied

Once again - thank you so much for posting! I definitely did 1-5; I'm not sure about 6...

Pretty sure language went well (how about you?) and I enjoy the Aeneid - so hopefully that's okay...

One last question, and then I'll stop bothering you! Were the Arria questions just over two pages (one on the right hand side, then one on the final left hand side)?
Pretty sure language went well (how about you?) and I enjoy the Aeneid - so hopefully that's okay...

One last question, and then I'll stop bothering you! Were the Arria questions just over two pages (one on the right hand side, then one on the final left hand side)?

Haha it's fine, I know how it much sucks being unsure whether you answered everything correctly and whether you answered the whole paper - it's why people make unofficial mark schemes for that peace of mind.

Yeah, the language papers went ok and Arria questions were just over two pages, like you said, with only one four-mark question being on the final page.
Haha it's fine, I know how it much sucks being unsure whether you answered everything correctly and whether you answered the whole paper - it's why people make unofficial mark schemes for that peace of mind.

Yeah, the language papers went ok and Arria questions were just over two pages, like you said, with only one four-mark question being on the final page.

Perfect. Thank you for saving my frame of mind! Eugh now I've got to move on to the deathness that is Greek and Physics tomorrow :frown:

Thanks once again!
Reply 12
Can anyone make a mark scheme for the caesar Tacitus Cicero section?
These are not the exact questions but very similar:
1) Why did Pliny the younger choose not to go with his Uncle? (1)

2) Why was Rectina in danger? Give two points (2)

3) How did she convince Pliny to come save her? (1)

4) illic nox omnibus noctibus nigrior densiorque - How does Pliny emphasise the darkness: Give two bullet points and refer to the Latin. (4)

5) What would Pliny be using "faces" for? - (1)

6) placuit egredi in latus, et ex proximo ad spicere, num mare fugare praeberat.
a) Where was Pliny the Older off to? (1)

b) Why was he going there? (2)

1) he prefered to study
2) . her house was at the bottom of the mountain
. the only escape was by boat
3) she was begging
4) illic... densiorque meaning now all the nights were darker and thicker
the bit before meaning there was daylight everywhere
5) relieveing the darkness
6)a) to the shore to investigate from close
b) to see if the sea might permit any escape
Original post by ajeffries111
1) he prefered to study
2) . her house was at the bottom of the mountain
. the only escape was by boat
3) she was begging
4) illic... densiorque meaning now all the nights were darker and thicker
the bit before meaning there was daylight everywhere
5) relieveing the darkness
6)a) to the shore to investigate from close
b) to see if the sea might permit any escape

Can anyone remember the Arria questions so we can do an unofficial markscheme?

Quick Reply

Latest