The Student Room Group

Hijabi and finding it hard to find someone. Suggestions?

I know my parents will be looking for someone for me after my education. But I don't just want to rely on my parents to look since it'll lower my chances of finding someone I truly connect with.

However its difficult for me to find someone myself due to these following reasons.

- None of my friends have male friends, as I've been in a girls school throughout secondary and college.

- I attend a majority white and non-muslim uni. I'm fine with getting to know someone of another race, but I feel like my hijab acts as a sign saying "Don't talk to me", so they don't try to talk to me.

- I hardly have any societies in my uni, even if I do they're hardly active.

- I have 3 muslim males in my course.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?

Scroll to see replies

The main advice I can give is don't rush into things, with time insha Allah you will definitely come across someone you like x
I guess just continue to try and talk to different people, sometimes you could meet someone via friends or something. Just be friendly and I'm sure you'll find someone you connect with eventually. Just don't put any pressure on yourself or get desperate lol.
Original post by Anonymous
I know my parents will be looking for someone for me after my education. But I don't just want to rely on my parents to look since it'll lower my chances of finding someone I truly connect with.

However its difficult for me to find someone myself due to these following reasons.

- None of my friends have male friends, as I've been in a girls school throughout secondary and college.

- I attend a majority white and non-muslim uni. I'm fine with getting to know someone of another race, but I feel like my hijab acts as a sign saying "Don't talk to me", so they don't try to talk to me.

- I have 3 muslim males in my course. But the one I actually felt attracted to and got along with turned out to be a fvckboy.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?

Salaam sister.. I do really feel your pain, but just have patience and inshallah Allah will guide you through and you'll surely find someone in the near future, indeed Allah sets trials for the people he loves:-) stay strong!
Have you tried Muslim speed-dating? I have a Pakistani Muslim (albeit non-hijabi friend) best mate and a friend of hers told her that this happens somewhere in Central London, and was trying to persuade my best mate to go! I can't remember where it is exactly but it was definitely a thing! Might be worth a try :smile:
Reply 5

Wait, so you're fine with a relationship with a non-muslim dude?!
Original post by ANM775
Suggestions?

Yes.

Take off the damn hijab

woooooooooooooooooooooow
Reply 7

- I have 3 muslim males in my course. But the one I actually felt attracted to and got along with turned out to be a fvckboy.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?

Stop wearing your hijab?
Original post by haj101
The main advice I can give is don't rush into things, with time insha Allah you will definitely come across someone you like x

Agree with this, don't rush to to find a husband before your parents suggest one, just be honest with your parents, they'll likely ask what you'd prefer in a husband.
Reply 9
there's loads of Muslims here on TSR, take your pick :lol:
Original post by inhuman
Stop wearing your hijab?

Uh no, surprisingly there are Muslims who adhere to their faith (and abide by the etiquette that stems from it), and are able to find perfectly suited partners without having to compromise their ideals.
Reply 12
Original post by getfunky!
Uh no, surprisingly there are Muslims who adhere to their faith (and abide by the etiquette that stems from it), and are able to find perfectly suited partners without having to compromise their ideals.

Get off your high horse. OP is finding it hard to find a potential mate, this suggestion reduces the barrier to her quest. No one ever said that no Muslim girl will find a spouse while wearing the Hijab.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?

Try non Muslim
Hindus are cool, so are the East Asians
Reply 14
Agree with this, don't rush to to find a husband before your parents suggest one, just be honest with your parents, they'll likely ask what you'd prefer in a husband.

Way to promote liberty in our youth :rolleyes:
I know the struggle, believe me. I guess only time will tell, and Allah has everything planned so don't worry too much about it. I find that it helps to keep busy, then you don't think about it as much.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?
Original post by inhuman
Way to promote liberty in our youth :rolleyes:

Bruh, liberty involves the freedom of choosing what to wear, you may perceive it as restrictive but others would just as strongly believe the hijab to be liberating, ipso facto stop obstructing liberty in youth by being on "a high horse" and telling others to shed their ideals.

Assuming OPs young, they still have plenty of time to find an ideal spouse, just have a bit of patience and talk to your parents.
As many above have said, take off the Hijab.

Spoiler

Reply 18
Bruh, liberty involves the freedom of choosing what to wear, you may perceive it as restrictive but others would just as strongly believe the hijab to be liberating, ipso facto stop obstructing liberty in youth by being on "a high horse" and telling others to shed their ideals.

Assuming OPs young, they still have plenty of time to find an ideal spouse, just have a bit of patience and talk to your parents.

The first part is wholly irrelevant, as it has nothing to do with her parents, though you are quite right, even though OP is a Muslim, she is free (or at least should be free) to choose to not wear the hijab.

Why should she talk to her parents? "don't rush to to find a husband before your parents suggest one", so I repeat way to promote oppressing OP, bruh.
Original post by fr0sr_
As many above have said, take off the Hijab.

Spoiler

A symbol of oppression based on your cultural beliefs and ideas, not OPs. Her ideas of what is oppression and liberation are different to yours, and that doesn't make either of you wrong. If she choses to wear a Hijab, that is entirely her decision, and I would argue that she probably doesn't want to be with someone who can't accept her in it.

Latest

Trending

Trending