The Student Room Group

Gap year before applying to medicine help

xx
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hi guys, I've really messed up with my A-levels this year and i know my AS grades in august will be really bad because I haven't revised.

I did well in my GCSE's and got 9A*S 2As but I didn't have any motivation to revise this year, I really regret it but can't do much now. I decided I'm taking a gap year after year 13 and aim to get at least 2a*s for A2 , im pretty confident in myself that I know if i work hard from the start i can achieve good grades.

However, my only problem is that I'd be with my parents for pretty much the whole gap year and they will be disappointed that I didn't do my best to get into medicine this time around. I haven't even told them that I'm planning to take a gap year. I feel really guilty because they still believe I'd be getting amazing grades this year.

Any advice on how to tell them and how to cope with a gap year with disappointed parents? Also, can someone briefly explain whats the process with applying after a gap year, and should I still apply to uni this year just to see what its like?

Thanks for any help!

Mia

First, I would wait and see what you actually received in your exams, it would be easier to work from there.

If you still want to take a gap year and consider maybe resitting, then it'd probably be a good idea to sit your parents down and tell them that this is what you want to do.
I would only have to resit maths as all of my other subjects are in the new system and therefore the grades this year don't count. I'm just thinking, if I wait till results day to tell my parents my plan, they will be even more shocked at disappointed at my results. :frown:

Well, then tell them why you think you might not do as well this year, if you feel like telling them sooner is going to help, do it.
if you're going to take a gap year, there's plenty of reasons to take one, getting experience for medicine is a good one as medicine is very competitive and you need some experience so maybe you could tell your parents that

if your parents are disappointed with you for taking a gap year then they need to take a look at themselves, doesnt make it easier for you i know but the problem is with them and not you
Imo, have patience. Wait for your results and try extra harder in Year 13 to make up for the conditional offers.
I am doing my AS exams too and they aren't going as good as I wanted but I think the key is to wait. Similarly other than maths for me, we have to resit all the AS exams because of new spec which is good for our final grade but not so good for the more difficult AS papers. I think some universities will understand that the new spec is much more tough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi guys, I've really messed up with my A-levels this year and i know my AS grades in august will be really bad because I haven't revised.

I did well in my GCSE's and got 9A*S 2As but I didn't have any motivation to revise this year, I really regret it but can't do much now. I decided I'm taking a gap year after year 13 and aim to get at least 2a*s for A2 , im pretty confident in myself that I know if i work hard from the start i can achieve good grades.

However, my only problem is that I'd be with my parents for pretty much the whole gap year and they will be disappointed that I didn't do my best to get into medicine this time around. I haven't even told them that I'm planning to take a gap year. I feel really guilty because they still believe I'd be getting amazing grades this year.

Any advice on how to tell them and how to cope with a gap year with disappointed parents? Also, can someone briefly explain whats the process with applying after a gap year, and should I still apply to uni this year just to see what its like?

ALSO i'll be 20 by the time I start uni if I get in because my birthday is early October. Do you think that's too old? especially when medicine lasts for 5-6 years

Thanks for any help!

Mia

A gap year is a brilliant idea, whether you did bad or not, im considering this too as i lost motivation this year! my mums friend runs admissions at a russel group uni and she says they absolutely love gap years, as long as you do something productive! So make sure you do voluntary service and/or work experience - they love it as long as you dont sit around all year!
As for applying, she says deffinitely apply this year and ask for deferred entry and explain your gap year and that you intend to work abroad etc - this is apparently much better and will help you guarantee your place rather than applying next year when school are less able to help etc, it also gives you something to work for and the uni knows you have goals!
Hope this helps
also do you guys think that 20 years old would be too old to do medicine? I really hate being born close to the start of the school year :frown: I'm so much older than most people ugh

Don't be silly, of course not. You have graduates in their late twenties, thirties, forties. No one will think twice about you being 20 and you certainly won't be the only one.
also do you guys think that 20 years old would be too old to do medicine? I really hate being born close to the start of the school year :frown: I'm so much older than most people ugh

Not at all!
I guess so, :redface:. I spend almost everyday crying about how much I've let them down, but i know crying won't do anything aha. thanks for the help :smile:

At this point, like you've said, there is no use in crying. If your parents do really care for you then they would understand what you are going through but please don't keep thinking about the past, what's done is done. Now, all you can do is use this as a lesson to try harder for next year :smile:

Best of Luck!
Original post by cookiemonster15
At this point, like you've said, there is no use in crying. If your parents do really care for you then they would understand what you are going through but please don't keep thinking about the past, what's done is done. Now, all you can do is use this as a lesson to try harder for next year :smile:

Best of Luck!

Most universities don't allow resits make sure you ask the universities,My son is taking Gap year this this year applying with achieved grades He got all 3 A stars but didn't do well at GCSEs 3 A stars 3 As and rest 8 of then all Bs however did well in AS to all 4 A grades,How is his chance.any advice
Original post by S1966
Most universities don't allow resits make sure you ask the universities,My son is taking Gap year this this year applying with achieved grades He got all 3 A stars but didn't do well at GCSEs 3 A stars 3 As and rest 8 of then all Bs however did well in AS to all 4 A grades,How is his chance.any advice

Is your son applying for medicine?

If so his grades are more than enough. This year I had an offer of AAA for Medicine (managed to fall just a bit short) and this is the normal minimum offer that most uni's would give for Med. But since your son managed to achieve three A*'s I would say his chances are looking good! Just make to avoid any uni's which require you to get outstanding GCSE'S (such as oxford) Has he done his UKCAT yet (If he is thinking of applying for 2017 he needs to have done his UKCAT by the 5th of October) as this is something which would really determine his chances of securing a place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is your son applying for medicine?

If so his grades are more than enough. This year I had an offer of AAA for Medicine (managed to fall just a bit short) and this is the normal minimum offer that most uni's would give for Med. But since your son managed to achieve three A*'s I would say his chances are looking good! Just make to avoid any uni's which require you to get outstanding GCSE'S (such as oxford) Has he done his UKCAT yet (If he is thinking of applying for 2017 he needs to have done his UKCAT by the 5th of October) as this is something which would really determine his chances of securing a place.

He is applying for 2017 entry he is taking UKCAT on 28th September.His A levels are excellent and As all A but its hiis GCSEs he only got 3 A* 3 A s and rest all Bs he just makes liverpools minimum requirements for GCSEs and Leicester universities 23 points out of 24 for academics so he's got UKCATto do as they have 24 points for UKCAT .which 2400 marks this year.he doesn't think he get high mark last year he got 647.
Original post by S1966
He is applying for 2017 entry he is taking UKCAT on 28th September.His A levels are excellent and As all A but its hiis GCSEs he only got 3 A* 3 A s and rest all Bs he just makes liverpools minimum requirements for GCSEs and Leicester universities 23 points out of 24 for academics so he's got UKCATto do as they have 24 points for UKCAT .which 2400 marks this year.he doesn't think he get high mark last year he got 647.

Tell your son to research every single uni he wants to go to to check their opinion on GCSE'S (he can even email individual uni's if he wants to) and with the UKCAT, anything can really happen, when I was practising for mine I had really low results but ended up getting more than what I expected in the real thing. As long as he works hard, I'm sure it will turn out in his favour.

I'm starting medicine at Southampton in a couple of weeks. I was 36 two weeks ago. You're fine 👍🏻
Tell your son to research every single uni he wants to go to to check their opinion on GCSE'S (he can even email individual uni's if he wants to) and with the UKCAT, anything can really happen, when I was practising for mine I had really low results but ended up getting more than what I expected in the real thing. As long as he works hard, I'm sure it will turn out in his favour.

Thank you for the advice really appreciate it.My son is apply at Southampton for their Foundation yea medical as well.As he meets their criteria.Hope he has a chance.hope they allow Gap year students website say they do only in the first year since they left school so he should be ok.
Original post by Alan1980
I'm starting medicine at Southampton in a couple of weeks. I was 36 two weeks ago. You're fine 👍🏻

Are you a graduate and what degree did you do.

ALSO i'll be 20 by the time I start uni if I get in because my birthday is early October. Do you think that's too old? especially when medicine lasts for 5-6 years

Thanks for any help!

Mia

So is there an update since results day passed? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by S1966
Are you a graduate and what degree did you do.

I'm not a graduate, just a mature student. You can read my journey on my blog at www.newmedicblog.wordpress.com if you're interested.

Thanks for any help!

Mia

Hi Mia!

Second year medic here. Plenty of the people on my course took a gap year, and for a variety of different reasons too!

Firstly what were your AS grades?

Secondly, wait nd see what your results are first, you never know!

Thirdly, tell your parents, there's no easy way to do it but you need to :smile: With gap years you can re-do the exams to get the grades you want - just make sure in your PS to explain what went wrong the first time. Contrary to popular believ many medicla schools don't mind people taking a third year if there are extenuating circumstances.

20 is certainly not too old, people in my year are in their early 30's !
Original post by S1966
Thank you for the advice really appreciate it.My son is apply at Southampton for their Foundation yea medical as well.As he meets their criteria.Hope he has a chance.hope they allow Gap year students website say they do only in the first year since they left school so he should be ok.

Ah, that's good to hear! Is your son only applying to one uni? From what I researched last year, Southampton do a system whereby applicants are selected on their UKCAT (Ie they are put order of highest to lowest) but I don't know if they are going to change that this year...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending