The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Co-ordinated Science (Double Award)

Anyone else doing this course?
I have been struggling to find good revision resources since they are all for the syllabuses for the three separate sciences.
I don't even have a textbook for this course so I'm just working off the syllabus and my notes from the two years, so I'm kind of lacking in resources.
Any help would be very much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
Nothing? :frown:
Heyy, yep Im with you. I guess going through the syllabus and watching youtube videos on the topics CIE have in common with the separate science syllabi. Anyways Im sooooooo late with starting to study so Im just gonna try to cram as much as possible for Thursdays exam but I've heard doing past papers is the way to go
Reply 3
I've been doing some past papers too, but it's a bit difficult to access them now that xtremepapers is gone.
My exams are on Wednesday (the 25th) so I guess we are doing different variant papers.
Have you done coursework, or are you doing one of the optional papers? I have done coursework so I'm pleased that 20% of the course is out of the way.

Do you have some suggestions for particularly good videos/channels?
Oh hahaha lucky! I'd be a lot better off if I had done coursework. No I'm just doing paper 11, 31 and 61 I think.
Oh right, yeah that's quite tricky.
No basically what I do is just search for the topic + IGCSE, so for example "Eye structure and accommodation IGCSE" and there are usually some good videos. Only bad thing is that they usually go through a bit too much (since it's usually GCSE Biology vids) but it's good enough.
Reply 5
I'll have a look for that, thanks.
I'm just doing paper 11 and 31. Do you have your paper 6 this Thursday?!
I'm not so stressed about since yet since there is still over two weeks for me.
Original post by TheBirder

Yeah hahahah that's the problem for me.. I really dont understand the logic here because I would feel fine but the thing is now I have paper 6 on Thursday (and Ive still barely studied) and the rest of them in like 2 weeks which is just ugh XD

Either way, we'll see what happens. Good luck with yours hahah
Reply 7
Coursework was really annoying when we did it throughout the year because we had to do so many experiments and it took up loads of lessons. We barely finished the course before everyone went on study leave.
I'm pleased that we did the coursework now though :tongue:
Good luck for your exams too.
Reply 8
I've found a pretty good resource:
http://mrcartlidge.edublogs.org/
And this is for our actual syllabus and not for the separate sciences so it just covers the stuff needed.
how is this course marked? where do the two letters come from? are they always the same?

How did the paper 6 go ? Did you find it tricky?
Reply 11
Original post by Catarina12345
How did the paper 6 go ? Did you find it tricky?

I didn't do paper 6 :tongue:
Coursework instead.
I think coursework is really much easier, it's not stressful since you can do it as many times as you want and I did at least double the number that we need and they will only select the best ones. Also, the teachers tell you if they are going to take a mark off with your technique and you can change it. The part where you have to design your own experiment is pretty hard, but since we got to do it as many times as we wanted it was ok.
Reply 12
On the syllabus in topic C8.2 it says:

"Further classify some other oxides as neutral, given relevant information."

Could anyone help with what this means? Thanks!
Reply 13
Bump!
I'd really appreciate some help :smile:
On the syllabus in topic C8.2 it says:

"Further classify some other oxides as neutral, given relevant information."

Could anyone help with what this means? Thanks!

I think that that means that when an oxide doesn't react with an alkali or an acid it's neutral.
Reply 15
how's everyone preparing for tomorrow's exams?
any tips?

i find it really annoying how both exams are on the same day one after another!!!, meaning 2hrs and 45 mins of exam time:/

and yep, that's right neutral oxides dont react with bases nor acids for example: carbon monoxide or dinitrogen oxide :smile:
Original post by ndk123
how's everyone preparing for tomorrow's exams?
any tips?

i find it really annoying how both exams are on the same day one after another!!!, meaning 2hrs and 45 mins of exam time:/

and yep, that's right neutral oxides dont react with bases nor acids for example: carbon monoxide or dinitrogen oxide :smile:

I haven't really done anything today hahaha, I've only been reviewing my notes. But I'll probably do some past papers in a bit. I'm not particularly worried but I'm dreading the physics part!
Reply 17
Well good luck for tomorrow for everyone doing the exams.
I wouldn't mind both exams being on the same day if they were both in the morning, but since they're in the afternoon I won't finish until 5 and I probably won't get home until quarter to six.
Reply 18
So... I thought it was really easy.
So... I thought it was really easy.

Saaaaame, much easier than I thought it would be. I thought the multiple choice part was a bit strange but it was still pretty simple.

Quick Reply

Latest