The Student Room Group

D at AS Level - Bad?

I would like to study Computer Science at Uni of which I need ABB (King's College).

However, for AS Level, I think that I am going to get:
- Maths - A
- Computer Science - A
- Physics - D

Would they accept my AS Grades?
Original post by spaceman11
I would like to study Computer Science at Uni of which I need ABB (King's College).

However, for AS Level, I think that I am going to get:
- Maths - A
- Computer Science - A
- Physics - D

Would they accept my AS Grades?

Honestly, it could go either way. Usually universities don't mind if you exceed the offer in one grade but don't meet it with another as long as they all "add up" to be the same.

For example, I you got AAC and you're offer was ABB that sort of cancels out to ABB so they would accept it. However getting AAD is more like getting ABC and so I'm sorry but I'm not sure they will. You will have to speak to them, but since Kings College is a good university and you didn't get the equivalent required grades I'd say no. Besides isn't it a bit early anyway? And don't universities usually ask for A -Levels not AS - Levels?
Reply 2
Original post by aeroline1999
Honestly, it could go either way. Usually universities don't mind if you exceed the offer in one grade but don't meet it with another as long as they all "add up" to be the same.

For example, I you got AAC and you're offer was ABB that sort of cancels out to ABB so they would accept it. However getting AAD is more like getting ABC and so I'm sorry but I'm not sure they will. You will have to speak to them, but since Kings College is a good university and you didn't get the equivalent required grades I'd say no. Besides isn't it a bit early anyway? And don't universities usually ask for A -Levels not AS - Levels?

Thanks, and since AS doesn't count towards our final A2 grade (aside from Maths, due to the new curriculum), these grades are used as predicted grades for Uni so I was wondering if uni's are more lenient towards A2 (since AS doesn't really 'count')
Original post by spaceman11
Thanks, and since AS doesn't count towards our final A2 grade (aside from Maths, due to the new curriculum), these grades are used as predicted grades for Uni so I was wondering if uni's are more lenient towards A2 (since AS doesn't really 'count':wink:

Honestly, I'm unhappy about how we have to do the new AS at our school because I think it just makes it easier for universities to reject us if we do badly but if we do well, they won't take it into account because most schools aren't doing the separate AS Level because it is pointless and just makes it harder for us.
Reply 4
Interesting that you get a D in physics and A in maths
How is your school doing your predicted grades? Are they just doing the grade you get in your exams or are they adding one to it?
If it’s plus one, then you’ll be at A*A*C which I’d assume you’d be mostly fine when applying. If not, then it’s a gamble. I’d still apply as you never know, plus there’s still time to improve (I went from failing maths to being a solid C/B student in a year so it’s doable lol) just make sure that when applying, you choose courses where you can definitely get in grades wise. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest