The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cbatothinkofone
A symbol of oppression based on your cultural beliefs and ideas, not OPs. Her ideas of what is oppression and liberation are different to yours, and that doesn't make either of you wrong. If she choses to wear a Hijab, that is entirely her decision, and I would argue that she probably doesn't want to be with someone who can't accept her in it.

So the humans in 1984 were "free"?

And no, it does make one of them wrong, because liberty is not an arbitrary concept that can be changed as you want. At best you can say OP is happy to lose liberty in the name of Allah.
Original post by inhuman

And no, it does make one of them wrong, because liberty is not an arbitrary concept that can be changed as you want. At best you can say OP is happy to lose liberty in the name of Allah.

How is the 1984 reference relevant?

Liberty is based on perception on what freedom is and what makes you free. People will have different opinions on that. But continue with your sense of superiority and false conviction that your way of life is the correct one if you want, doesn't make much difference to everyone else.
Reply 22
Original post by inhuman

In the western culture, a culture that almost exclusively equates female liberation with sexual "liberation", anything that inhibits this is a "symbol of opreshunz", the hijab to us is nit a symbol of anything it's a garment we wear for modesty reasons, it removes female sexuality from the realm of discussion at her discretion. It gives us the power to dictate how men should treat us. Perpetually thirsty people who think they have a god given right to every woman's body and sexuality try to manufacture a narrative whereby any non-western form of sexual conservatism, especially when concerning women, is actually opressive. It's just a scarf, if it symbolises anything, it symbolises a muslim woman. And a muslim woman does not need the approval of non muslim men for representing her identity unconventionally. We are not in your AS sociology class, pseudo deep parallels with 1984 doesn't mean anything to us.
Reply 23
Original post by Propi
In the western culture, a culture that almost exclusively equates female liberation with sexual "liberation", anything that inhibits this is a "symbol of opreshunz", the hijab to us is nit a symbol of anything it's a garment we wear for modesty reasons, it removes female sexuality from the realm of discussion at her discretion. It gives us the power to dictate how men should treat us. Perpetually thirsty people who think they have a god given right to every woman's body and sexuality try to manufacture a narrative whereby any non-western form of sexual conservatism, especially when concerning women, is actually opressive. It's just a scarf, if it symbolises anything, it symbolises a muslim woman. And a muslim woman does not need the approval of non muslim men for representing her identity unconventionally. We are not in your AS sociology class, pseudo deep parallels with 1984 doesn't mean anything to us.

And you wonder why you are unwanted.
Reply 24
How is the 1984 reference relevant?

Liberty is based on perception on what freedom is and what makes you free. People will have different opinions on that. But continue with your sense of superiority and false conviction that your way of life is the correct one if you want, doesn't make much difference to everyone else.

Given the strong sentiment going around Europe at the moment, that particular generalization is completely off.

I thought it was your job to tell people like me not to generalize to all Muslims?
Reply 25
Original post by inhuman
And you wonder why you are unwanted.

I have wondered no such thing. Everyone loves me :smile:
Original post by Propi

Lmao. I
Reply 27
Original post by Propi

Clearly not everyone...
The hijab is symbolically associated with the lack of freedom because in some Islamic countries like Iran, it's mandatory. We know that you guys choose to wear it in the UK and nobody forces you to, but you can't expect people to make claims on how liberated you are, when religion, the reason for you wearing it, is also the reason why women in the Middle East have no such choice.

Before you liberated personas jump me for discrimination against the scarf - no, I don't mind it, but looking more objectively and seeing why people would discriminate it is the bases of a more open discussion. Moreover, I don't understand why you'd think negatively of anyone suggesting that taking it off would be a good course of action. After all, the person, at least in their perception, is trying for you to get you your freedom. You have to understand that it's truly mind-blowing for an atheist Westerner how you're willingly putting yourself in a less comfortable situation, because let's be honest, not everybody appreciates hidden faces, just because of your belief. It's actually a bit strange how you choose to follow an idea that takes the right of living how you want without a severe punishment, hence the finger pointing and camouflaged attempts to help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
The Islamophobic sentiment perpetuated by people from Western cultures thinking their ideals are the right ones? If you want to admit to be part of that problem then go ahead, I was just referring to you saying that OP should remove her Hijab to meet men. That comment makes very little difference, as there is next to no way she will follow you're advice, but yeah I agree that your arrogance is dangerous in a wider context.
I haven't seen you post anything that generalises all Muslims, so why would I say that? I haven't read the entire thread though, so maybe I'm wrong, and you are actually more of a dickhead then you already seem.

We think people like you are the problem. So who is being arrogant now, eh?

Always funny to see people write on here.
Original post by inhuman
We think people like you are the problem. So who is being arrogant now, eh?

Always funny to see people write on here.

'People like me' being? And how am I arrogant?
Reply 31
brb guys, gotta go ask my parents to organize a girl for me.
Original post by inhuman
Stop wearing your hijab?

you cant encourage someone to disobey god
Original post by frostyy
The hijab is symbolically associated with the lack of freedom because in some Islamic countries like Iran, it's mandatory. We know that you guys choose to wear it in the UK and nobody forces you to, but you can't expect people to make claims on how liberated you are, when religion, the reason for you wearing it, is also the reason why women in the Middle East have no such choice.

Before you liberated personas jump me for discrimination against the scarf - no, I don't mind it, but looking more objectively and seeing why people would discriminate it is the bases of a more open discussion. Moreover, I don't understand why you'd think negatively of anyone suggesting that taking it off would be a good course of action. After all, the person, at least in their perception, is trying for you to get you your freedom. You have to understand that it's truly mind-blowing for an atheist Westerner how you're willingly putting yourself in a less comfortable situation, because let's be honest, not everybody appreciates hidden faces, just because of your belief. It's actually a bit strange how you choose to follow an idea that takes the right of living how you want without a severe punishment, hence the finger pointing and camouflaged attempts to help.

I'm an atheist Westerner, and I can appreciate that some may find wearing a Hijab liberating for the reasons discussed earlier in this thread. It's not a choice I would make for myself, but a choice that others are free to make, and shouldn't have to explain their motives.
Take off your hijab, hon, it is holding you back.

Supposing your perfect soul mate didn't approach you because you were wearing it? What would it then have achieved? And you wouldn't even know...

As far as I know it is perfectly possible not to wear one within the faith, and millions of Muslim women all over the world walk around bare headed showing the beauty that is the female head of hair.

I doubt they are going to hell. :biggrin:
Original post by z33
there's loads of Muslims here on TSR, take your pick :lol:

Omg rofl! :rofl: So which Muslim are you going to pick? :colondollar:
Reply 36
'People like me' being? And how am I arrogant?

The person that dismisses a legitimate solution based on how he himself thinks that the OP is likely to try that solution doesn't see how arrogant he is? Yea, not arrogant at all.

And the PC brigade. You honestly think there would be such a far right movement in politics if leading politicians had acted? If you read any complaints by people most of them are just as much if not more pissed off at the lack of action by politicians.
Reply 37
Original post by Rhythmical
Omg rofl! :rofl: So which Muslim are you going to pick? :colondollar:

none they all hate me :lol: wbu? :tongue:
I'm an atheist Westerner, and I can appreciate that some may find wearing a Hijab liberating for the reasons discussed earlier in this thread. It's not a choice I would make for myself, but a choice that others are free to make, and shouldn't have to explain their motives.

Yet they choose to do so and react negatively when doubted by people who have the right to question it.
Original post by frostyy
Yet they choose to do so and react negatively when doubted by people who have the right to question it.

As the OP was anonymous, you have no way to know that she reacted negatively. My negative reaction was to people suggesting it was oppressive.

Latest

Trending

Trending