The Student Room Group

Are these extenuating/Mitigating circumstances? (PLEASE READ W/ STORY)

The story-

Found a possible cancer lump the night before an exam, worried me ****ng sick. Booked a Dr's appointment 30 mins before the exam only to be told id have to wait 3 days. As i was walking to the exam they said for me to come in after the exam had finished.

FUAAARK

i was soo worried throughout the exam and could barely concentrate,

Saw the Dr- They were not sure on what is was. Have another appointment at the hospital in 2 weeks and i still do not know what it is. I cant really sleep at night either and feel depressed. Almost what is the point in revising when it could be the big C?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The gains kinggg
The story-

Found a possible cancer lump the night before an exam, worried me ****ng sick. Booked a Dr's appointment 30 mins before the exam only to be told id have to wait 3 days. As i was walking to the exam they said for me to come in after the exam had finished.

FUAAARK

i was soo worried throughout the exam and could barely concentrate,

Saw the Dr- They were not sure on what is was. Have another appointment at the hospital in 2 weeks and i still do not know what it is. I cant really sleep at night either and feel depressed. Almost what is the point in revising when it could be the big C?

so sorry to hear this. You should tell your Head of Year asap. Go with a doctor's note or the appointment confirmation letter.
Original post by Delilah234
so sorry to hear this. You should tell your Head of Year asap. Go with a doctor's note or the appointment confirmation letter.

would you say there is any extenuating circumstances?
Ive just email him
would you say there is any extenuating circumstances?
Ive just email him

Oh definitely, they affected how you were able to complete the exam
Original post by Delilah234
Oh definitely, they affected how you were able to complete the exam

do you know how much they give? I think i was effected badly :frown:
bmup
usually they wait till you graduate before deciding how much extra to award you (unless you fail the module and then they will look at it this year so you're not stopped from progressing to the next stage). How much they award you will depend on what marks you usually get. If you've been getting 65% all year and got 50% in the exam they would probably bump you up to around 65%, but if you've been getting 50% all year and you get that in the exam they won't give you anything because you achieved the same as you usually do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lilnclgeowin
usually they wait till you graduate before deciding how much extra to award you (unless you fail the module and then they will look at it this year so you're not stopped from progressing to the next stage). How much they award you will depend on what marks you usually get. If you've been getting 65% all year and got 50% in the exam they would probably bump you up to around 65%, but if you've been getting 50% all year and you get that in the exam they won't give you anything because you achieved the same as you usually do.

im doing a levels at the moment :frown:Do you think the exam boards will give me any mitigation?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Aww so sorry to hear that you had to go through this and worry about exams aswell. My advice would either contact and chat to your head of course/the module leader whose exam your taking. Or go and chat to student support and see what they can do it guide you in the right direction.

But im sure if you go and chat to them and explain your situation, they should be more than happy to try and help you through and give you the right advice.

Hope everything goes okay! xx
Original post by JS31294
Aww so sorry to hear that you had to go through this and worry about exams aswell. My advice would either contact and chat to your head of course/the module leader whose exam your taking. Or go and chat to student support and see what they can do it guide you in the right direction.

But im sure if you go and chat to them and explain your situation, they should be more than happy to try and help you through and give you the right advice.

Hope everything goes okay! xx

im doing a levels at the moment :frown:

Do you think the exam boards will give me any mitigation?
Reply 10

Ahh right, erm i'm not sure.

My advice would still be to go and talk to your teacher whose exam it is e.g. Science exam, go to your teacher for that. And just explain the sitauation and they might be able to help. Or alternatively go to student support and ask them if there is anyway you could get any advice/help.

Yes they will but the maximum is 5% increase in your marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The story-

You did the right thing in getting it checked out but the chances are it is nothing sinister. Try to put it to one side until you get the results.

Talk to your head of year or exams officer about it. The exams officer will be able to put in for special consideration for you but, as gdunne42 says, the maximum difference it can make is 5%. There are more details here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107247
Original post by gdunne42
Yes they will but the maximum is 5% increase in your marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think ill get it?

I thought it was 5% of the total marks of the paper?
do you think ill get it?

I would doubt they would give you 5% but they might give you something.
I'd go and see your exams officer as soon as possible. You definitely did the right thing by going to get a check, I know how scary it can be to find a lump and have to go through the possibilty of the C-word :frown:
Special consideration is a max of 5% as the others have said, and that's generally reserved for stuff like a death in the family. The most common allocation they give out is 2%. Last year I had extenuating circumstances due to being in and out of court as a victim of sexual assault, and my mum was also in hospital for brain surgery, and I actually didn't get granted anything, so it's a weird system to say the least! Here's the current JCQ guidance if you want to have a read through how it's all meant to work: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2015-2016
Best of luck, hope it all gets sorted for you :smile:
do you think ill get it?

The maximum is 5% of the raw marks available on the paper. I doubt you would get that much but nobody can say for sure as each situation is evaluated on its own merits. I know from experience a lump can be a scary experience and needs to be investigated but it's most likely nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
From what I've heard at most it will be about 5%, but that's just talk, not facts.
Original post by balanced
From what I've heard at most it will be about 5%, but that's just talk, not facts.

No, it isn't. 5% has been the maximum for a very long time, but usually much less is awarded, with 2% being the most common. Here is the official information from the exam regulation body:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107245
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, it isn't. 5% has been the maximum for a very long time, but usually much less is awarded, with 2% being the most common. Here is the official information from the exam regulation body:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4107245

I said the most you'll get is 5%.

Quick Reply

Latest