The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, in my GCSE English Lit paper a couple of years ago I misread the question and talked about the wrong character (CURLEY'S WIFE, goddamnit, not Curley).

Still got an A* in that paper though so I must have written some convincing stuff.
Spent 15 minutes trying to work out 25.7640-0 on core 1.
Original post by Tropojanja
No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?

In maths I was supposed to work out the HCF but I worked out the LCM
Original post by Walz
In an English lit exam, I wrote how a woman was a prostitute and used the quote "men come from miles around to buy from her" and "men came back day by day, night by night" turned out she was selling burgers, I had completely misunderstood the poem. My teacher reported me! :s-smilie:

i mean, that's an intepretation, right? lmao

i did a similar thing with a poem that was about old age - i completely missed the metaphor and wrote about how it was abt the environment
I did my AS physics exam today, a question came up for which i had to measure between 2 points and i realized that i didn't bring a ruler, bloody question was a 5 marker, so i waited till the last 5 mins before asking for a ruler and did the question in time. I will never forget a ruler again.
Not my fault but in my GCSE maths exam last year there was a question where you needed a compass and the one I was given was wonky, the second one the hinge thing broke had to wait until the last 5 minutes to ask for another

In my business mock there was a question about the impact of the pound depreciating and I wrote about people not liking the British and so they don't want our money :colondollar:
STEP maths exam last year
the very first part of the question was to prove
1+2+3+....+n = n(n+1)/2
this is EXTREMELY EASY for every a level math student ,there are so many ways to prove it ,it is completely trivial and most of the times you just use it without proving it .
It was meant to be a gift .
However I was curious about the next part of the question which was more difficult and interesting
so I just wrote 1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2
and that was obviously not a proof.
I think I lost 3 marks for this , which are really precious in a STEP exam.
Original post by elen90
Well, in my GCSE English Lit paper a couple of years ago I misread the question and talked about the wrong character (CURLEY'S WIFE, goddamnit, not Curley).

Still got an A* in that paper though so I must have written some convincing stuff.

this has given me some hope for English Lit tbh :biggrin:
No lie!!
I did the same thing,i put chlorine first then the last 30 seconds i crossed it out and put carbon dioxide!!
In this years C1 exam, I wrote about polymerisation instead of hydrogenation on the 5 question
Original post by 11ahf
Did all the working in a computing exam correctly for a stupid, simple binary question.

Accidentally missed off one of the 0s in the answer box.

Examiner was not generous.

Cost me the A*.:frown:
Aah **** :lol:

Floating point maths was a ****en drag to learn.
Reply 151
Original post by vicky.m
i mean, that's an intepretation, right? lmao

i did a similar thing with a poem that was about old age - i completely missed the metaphor and wrote about how it was abt the environment

My teacher didn't feel the same way XD
It was in a mock exam, but for my maths calculator exam I had my calculator in 'rad' mode instead of 'deg' throughout the whole exam. The whole way through I wondered why my calculations seemed off.
This was from a French test from when I was in year 7. It was a test to see how much we knew, and there was a translation page one of the phrases was "Je m'appelle" so instead of putting "my name is" I put my actual name. I was so dumb back then
Picking media as a subject
Writing 'LEDC/MEDC countries' consistently through my answers on a geography paper.
Reply 156
I wrote DNA transcriptase instead DNA polymerase. I don't even know what that is.
In my chemistry mock exam I did 14+3=18
"Free elections", not "free electrons", somehow managed to write a paragraph of physics in a history mock, and didn't even realise the massive academic shift until I flicked back over it. Absolutely mortifying:h:
In my AS Physics mock on the multiple choice section, I calculated the answers for 2 questions & even wrote down the answers with my working (which were correct) but I coloured in the wrong boxes that corresponded to completely different answers- twice!!!

Latest