The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel B Geography - Unit 1 - Tuesday 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nahyr
What did everyone get for the 8 markers on oceans on the edge and river processes because I put about the three gorges dam and the Colorado dam for the river processes, is that ok because they are both hard engineering

I thought the six marker was about flood management schemes and why some are more successful than others so it didn't necessarily need to be about hard engineering, could've been soft engineering. I talked about levees and dams.
Reply 101
Original post by 11ahf
That water back to oceans question was terrible.
I wrote about surface runoff and then couldn't think of another one so I literally wrote about precipitation above the sea...

But the rest could have been worse. :tongue:

Same! I didn't know what else to say so I said precipitation as one and surface run off as the other
I found that exam ok, felt I could of done so much better though! :frown:
Original post by srmed
Overall it went well but the two 8 markers for rivers and extreme environments were quite tricky, wrote anything I came up with lol

What did you put for both the 8 markers?
Reply 104
Original post by srmed
Same! I didn't know what else to say so I said precipitation as one and surface run off as the other

Glad I'm not the only one! I mean it does make sense, clouds are part of the hydrological cycle, and it it rains into the sea... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The content is fairly easy, in my opinion the hardest thing is interpreting the questions as they can be really vague
Reply 106
Original post by Speedbird129
What did you put for both the 8 markers?

I talked about dams and washlands etc for the flood manangement question but I didnt refer to any case studies, I didn't know any do you think I will lose marks? but it said examine i think and i don't feel like i did that. for the extreme environments we told our teacher what the 8 marker was and she even though that it was a tricky question! i wrote about how in cold regions ike greenland ice will melt and sea temperature will rise causing fish to migrate and so people lose income as they can't sell fish haha and i said for places like the sahel temperature will cause crop failure etc. I literally made it up on the go hope it will get marks :smile:
Original post by srmed
I talked about dams and washlands etc for the flood manangement question but I didnt refer to any case studies, I didn't know any do you think I will lose marks? but it said examine i think and i don't feel like i did that. for the extreme environments we told our teacher what the 8 marker was and she even though that it was a tricky question! i wrote about how in cold regions ike greenland ice will melt and sea temperature will rise causing fish to migrate and so people lose income as they can't sell fish haha and i said for places like the sahel temperature will cause crop failure etc. I literally made it up on the go hope it will get marks :smile:

I also did't refer to case studies in the river processes eight marker and I talked about levees and dams and how their success relies upon what type of weather system that country experiences. For extreme environments, I talked about how climate change causes more fish to die and local cultures could be ruined.
Original post by 11ahf
Glad I'm not the only one! I mean it does make sense, clouds are part of the hydrological cycle, and it it rains into the sea... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I talked about glaciers melting
what did all of you guys get for whAT Y WAS in rivers section?

i got depostition
Reply 110
Original post by dimaria123
what did all of you guys get for whAT Y WAS in rivers section?

i got depostition

I put that. That was so vague, though - the dotted line ran through the middle of the river, and of course deposition wouldn't happen so much there, but it was 'process' so wasn't a meander and i think erosion would have been too off-topic
what did people put for the eight marker on coasts?
I liked the exam except for the 3m spit question
What did everyone say for national conservation of the biosphere
Original post by Joannu
I put that. That was so vague, though - the dotted line ran through the middle of the river, and of course deposition wouldn't happen so much there, but it was 'process' so wasn't a meander and i think erosion would have been too off-topic

What, so it wasn't meander?
Original post by LNDNWASPS
I said this the lighter continental plate subducts under the denser oceanic plate this melts allow magma to rise. At the detructive plate boundary composite volcanos are formed.
I said UNCLOS is pollution and marpol is oil pollution

Original post by LNDNWASPS
I said this the lighter continental plate subducts under the denser oceanic plate this melts allow magma to rise. At the detructive plate boundary composite volcanos are formed.
I said UNCLOS is pollution and marpol is oil pollution

oceanic plate is subducted under continental, not the other way round.
Original post by thatonepunkguy
I found that exam ok, felt I could of done so much better though! :frown:

same! I'm supposed to get full UMS and I know I definitely haven't :frown:(
Original post by Ahahah191
What did everyone say for national conservation of the biosphere

national parks and greenbelts
Original post by dimaria123
national parks and greenbelts

How many marks was that question?
Will their be an unofficial geography B edexcele mark scheme???

Quick Reply

Latest