The Student Room Group

Expensive School trip?

Hi, I have a ski trip that my school is offering for £1500 for 7 days in America. I've already been skiing before and I liked it but I'm not sure if i want to go again because the trip is so expensive. My parents have told me that I have to use my own funds for the trip and I have worked out that it will take 6 months worth of work to go on a seven day trip. My main reason for going is to be with friends and also travel to a different place rather than actually skiing. Do you think I should go?
This is relatively cheap for a skiing trip.
Reply 2
Original post by secretreviser
This is relatively cheap for a skiing trip.

But for me it is quite expensive so i'm not that sure
If you really want to go and you're willing to work that 6 months for it, then do it however that is a lot of money and you don't have to go you could do something cheaper?
Reply 4
Original post by niv1234
If you really want to go and you're willing to work that 6 months for it, then do it however that is a lot of money and you don't have to go you could do something cheaper?

Unfortunately, this is the only trip that my school offers. :frown:
Reply 5
When I was in year 10 my parents paid for me to go on a four day trip to New York with the school, that was £1100. If I were in that situation again (but if I had to pay) I would do it, but just because it's nice to go somewhere new for a treat and a break. I think experiences are better to spend money on than material things. Did you really enjoy it last time? £1500 worth of enjoyment?
Reply 6
Original post by midwolf
When I was in year 10 my parents paid for me to go on a four day trip to New York with the school, that was £1100. If I were in that situation again (but if I had to pay) I would do it, but just because it's nice to go somewhere new for a treat and a break. I think experiences are better to spend money on than material things. Did you really enjoy it last time? £1500 worth of enjoyment?

I enjoyed skiing because it was really fun but I worry that I might get bored of skiing since I have only just gone. The trip also offers half a day of shopping in New York as well which I am excited for but it means that I will need to work even more for spending money. :'(
Reply 7
Original post by Rabbithu
I enjoyed skiing because it was really fun but I worry that I might get bored of skiing since I have only just gone. The trip also offers half a day of shopping in New York as well which I am excited for but it means that I will need to work even more for spending money. :'(

Hmm, thought of alternatives? I don't know how old you are but if you have a job, maybe you could go on holiday with a friend somewhere for the same money? That way you plan it yourself and get to do everything you want to do? Less limitations that way. You could go skiing in lots of places. You can also go shopping anywhere.

Don't worry too much, whatever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :smile:)) I'm no travel agent but I'd rather go solo if I could.
Reply 8
Original post by midwolf
Hmm, thought of alternatives? I don't know how old you are but if you have a job, maybe you could go on holiday with a friend somewhere for the same money? That way you plan it yourself and get to do everything you want to do? Less limitations that way. You could go skiing in lots of places. You can also go shopping anywhere.

Don't worry too much, whatever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :smile:)) I'm no travel agent but I'd rather go solo if I could.

Thanks for the advice, I have thought about alternatives but it is not likely to happen as my parents are not willling to let me go to another country on my own.
Reply 9
At the end of the day its completely your choice and whether or not you are willing to work for it a little bit harder. But i think sometimes the memories and things are more important than the money side.

However, you can do these things once you have left school. Work a little bit harder now and start putting money aside and then maybe take a few months out and go and do it on your own or with a couple of friends because then you'll have free reigns instead of being with the school.

Its whatever you think but try and have a good think about it! You'll make a desicion but try not to rush into saying yes/no because you may regret a choice you make. But whatever you choose im sure you'll be fine :smile: x
Reply 10
Original post by JS31294
At the end of the day its completely your choice and whether or not you are willing to work for it a little bit harder. But i think sometimes the memories and things are more important than the money side.

However, you can do these things once you have left school. Work a little bit harder now and start putting money aside and then maybe take a few months out and go and do it on your own or with a couple of friends because then you'll have free reigns instead of being with the school.

Its whatever you think but try and have a good think about it! You'll make a desicion but try not to rush into saying yes/no because you may regret a choice you make. But whatever you choose im sure you'll be fine :smile: x

I think I only want to go on the trip because i don't want to feel left out. I'm not sure if that reason is worth 1500. Maybe I should save for something I want to do and forget the peer pressure.
Reply 11
Original post by Rabbithu
I think I only want to go on the trip because i don't want to feel left out. I'm not sure if that reason is worth 1500. Maybe I should save for something I want to do and forget the peer pressure.

I think thats right, its important for you to make your own choices and allow yourself to do things that YOU want to do without the feelings/opinions of other people. You never know another trip, a better one may come, you never know whats around the corner. But live your life for YOU no one else :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest