The Student Room Group

OCR B Physics H157/01 Fnd in Physics 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Diode question wasn't in syllabus as far as I know and all in all very little materials
Grade boundary predictions?
Original post by JZ0120
Well I think I definitely get this wrong.
I thought the acceleration was not constant due to the air resistant and it is decreasing to 0 as terminal velocity reached.

I can't remember if the question said or not but usually for those kind of questions they ignore air resistance
Original post by jjcoolio
Grade boundary predictions?

In the old spec it was usually around 70% for an A and lots of people found it difficult maybe around 48 for an A?
Reply 44
The question said that they wanted to find the terminal velocity, which is reached when air resistance is equal to que force of gravity, velocity is constant and acceleration=0
Reply 45
Original post by danigr
The question said that they wanted to find the terminal velocity, which is reached when air resistance is equal to que force of gravity, velocity is constant and acceleration=0

Yes but how can you calculate that from a time and a distance. There isn't enough info. You can't use suvat, and we aren't even told when it reaches terminal velocity.
I almost cried at the end of this paper but then I remembered this doesn't actually count lol
(I even had a friend who forgot his calculator)
Original post by peanutbutterjam
I almost cried at the end of this paper but then I remembered this doesn't actually count lol
(I even had a friend who forgot his calculator)

what? it doesn't count?
Original post by danigr

But to reach terminal velocity won't it need to accelerate first?
Original post by phoebeisgreat
what? it doesn't count?

These exams don't count towards the full a-level, we have to do another set of AS exams next year
I think that was an alright paper, we did the microwave experiment in class but with marshmallows instead of chocolate:h:

Spoiler

Original post by peanutbutterjam
These exams don't count towards the full a-level, we have to do another set of AS exams next year

oh right, but unis will still look at your as grades i think...
Anyone think paper 2 could be easier? The specimen was awful but potentially after that it could be OK?
Reply 53
Original post by metasysta
Yes but how can you calculate that from a time and a distance. There isn't enough info. You can't use suvat, and we aren't even told when it reaches terminal velocity.

If it had reached terminal velocity surely then all the forces would be balanced and it would be travelling at a constant velocity? As such, velocity = distance / time.
Original post by Will487
If it had reached terminal velocity surely then all the forces would be balanced and it would be travelling at a constant velocity? As such, velocity = distance / time.

Was there a graph for this question?
Reply 55
Original post by swagmister
Was there a graph for this question?

I think there were two questions on terminal velocity - correct me if I'm wrong - one on paper cup cases, and the other which featured the graph and table on the last page.
Original post by Will487
I think there were two questions on terminal velocity - correct me if I'm wrong - one on paper cup cases, and the other which featured the graph and table on the last page.

I remember using a graph to see the time at which it reaches Vt and then using Suvat with u as 0 because it accelerates to reach Vt
Reply 57
Original post by Will487

The graph wasn´t the second part of the question? Didn´t they ask to find the terminal velocity from the graph?
My teacher said that the electron wavelength was twice what everyone thought because it was a standing wave
Reply 59
Original post by dfbenjamin
My teacher said that the electron wavelength was twice what everyone thought because it was a standing wave

Yes it was because it reflected off the iron atoms and I assume that the electrons are coherent?

Quick Reply

Latest