The Student Room Group

Wjec AS ph1 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student2734
Wasn't the force 800N? Or is that Tcos36 and I'm just being silly😂

The forward force applied (Tension in the towing thing) was Tcos36 so you would use the value you get for T from the previous part of the question (can't remember what T was, I think it was like 988N or something)
Wasn't the force 800N? Or is that Tcos36 and I'm just being silly😂

So yeah it was 800N
Yeah I got 115ms-1 or whatever it was for velocity and I also got 20 for the Hooke's Law question! Found it OK, hopefully got an A but yeah very high boundaries I think. Happy with the moments question though, can anyone remember any of their other answers
Also does anyone know how the grade boundaries are agreed on? I thought the top 5%-8% of candidates were given A's etc but my teacher said this is no longer the case. I know the raw marks for an A change each paper so how do WJEC decide on this
Original post by Gracemarielewis
Also does anyone know how the grade boundaries are agreed on? I thought the top 5%-8% of candidates were given A's etc but my teacher said this is no longer the case. I know the raw marks for an A change each paper so how do WJEC decide on this

I was also under the impression that it's the top 8% that get A's so WJEC would alter the boundaries accordingly. If this is not the case then I don't know how else they could decide.
Reply 25
Yeah I got 117m/s so probably some rounding errors :smile: did you have to put the angle that it arrived at the ground as well?

I do not think that is a rounding error, I got that as part of my calculation for the final vertical velocity, however you had to incorporate the unchanged horizontal velocity aswell and use Pythagoras so it was like root(117)^2+(34..)^2 which gives 115..ms^-1. You should still get a mark or so.
Reply 26
Original post by TheLazyKid
I don't think you had to as it would have said 'magnitude and direction' as well

Yes you did not need the angle, it only stated the final velocity, not direction.

Quick Reply

Latest