The Student Room Group

AQA Pure Core 2 AS Maths Exam 25th May

Couldn't find a thread so thought I'd make one. How's everyones revision going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody got any predictions on what's gonna come up?
Reply 2
There'll probably be a really tough logs question. There has been for the past two years.

And maybe a potential un+1<0 sigma question
Reply 3
Original post by Berke0
There'll probably be a really tough logs question. There has been for the past two years.

And maybe a potential un+1<0 sigma question

Have a go at this log question.

Solve log10(x24)+log100[(2x+6)2]=log10(x+2)log(1x+3) \displaystyle \log_{10}(x^2-4)+\log_{100}[(2x+6)^2]=\log_{10}(x+2)-\log(\frac{1}{x+3}) .
Reply 4
Original post by B_9710
Have a go at this log question.

Solve log10(x24)+log100[(2x+6)2]=log10(x+2)log(1x+3) \displaystyle \log_{10}(x^2-4)+\log_{100}[(2x+6)^2]=\log_{10}(x+2)-\log(\frac{1}{x+3}) .

I'm struggling
Reply 5
Original post by Berke0
I'm struggling

Remember the change of base 'rule' .
logab=logcblogca \displaystyle \log_ab=\frac{log_cb}{\log_ca} where c is any base you choose.
is change of base on AQA spec
Reply 7
Original post by gfhhjbjkkl
is change of base on AQA spec

This is my third time doing this exam and I've only just learnt this today lmao
Reply 8
My revisions going ****. Im not bad at maths. I understand this crap. I got an A in gcse and im pretty good at core 1, but im constantly getting Us in c2.
IM SO WORRIED, I haven't ever learnt c2 properly !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to attempt 2 question and leave the rest
Reply 10
Original post by tuquid
My revisions going ****. Im not bad at maths. I understand this crap. I got an A in gcse and im pretty good at core 1, but im constantly getting Us in c2.

What's going wrong for you? Perhaps we can help
Reply 11
Has anyone got an answer to my question yet. Shall I put up a solution or do you want more time to do it ?
Reply 12
Original post by B_9710
Has anyone got an answer to my question yet. Shall I put up a solution or do you want more time to do it ?

Sorry I'll try again now. Give me 10 min
Reply 13
Original post by Berke0
What's going wrong for you? Perhaps we can help

Mainly the trapezium rule and the trig equations. Because we never done them in class properly.

Thank you
Reply 14
Original post by B_9710

Post it I can't do it
Reply 15
Original post by tuquid
Mainly the trapezium rule and the trig equations. Because we never done them in class properly.

Thank you

I will try and explain trapezium as best as possible. This won't strictly be mathematical terminology or whatever.

Say u have a function f(x)= 2x+1 (between 0 and 6)

The question may ask for 4 ORDINATES. In which case u need 4 values of equal range between them going from 0-6. So in this case it would be 0,2,4,6

Now plug each value ranging from 0-6 into the equation.

0 = 1
2 = 5
4 = 9
6 = 13

Ok now the equation is as follows: h/2 x (1st value + last value+2(rest of values))

H is the different between the ordinates. So in this case h=2

2/2 x (1+13+2(5+9))

U can see the first value is 1 and rbe last one is 13. The rest of the remaining values need to be added together and times by 2. Always put it in your calculator the exact way I've done it and you won't go wrong

Sorry this is very unorthodox and a lot of u nerds will look down on this method, but hope this helped
Reply 16
Original post by tuquid

Thank you

And as for trig equations. Do u struggle with knowing which equation to use? Or rather finding the values of X?
Reply 17
Original post by Berke0
And as for trig equations. Do u struggle with knowing which equation to use? Or rather finding the values of X?

Mostly knowing which equation to use, but it takes some time for me to find the value but i can normally do it. And your trapezium rule is explanation is great! It helps loads!
Reply 18
Original post by Berke0
Post it I can't do it

First of all lets make all logs have the same base.
log100[(2x+6)2]=log10[(2x+6)2]log10100=12log10[(2x+6)2] \displaystyle \log_{100}[(2x+6)^2]=\frac{\log_{10}[(2x+6)^2]}{\log_{10}100} =\frac{1}{2}\log_{10}[(2x+6)^2] then using the power rule you get log10(2x+6) \log_{10}(2x+6) . As all logs in the equation have base 10 I'm not going to bother putting the base in any more.

log[(x2)(x+2)]+log[2(x+3)]=log(x+2)+log(x+3) \displaystyle \log[(x-2)(x+2)]+\log[2(x+3)]=\log(x+2)+\log(x+3)
log(x2)+log(x+2)+log2+log(x+3)=log(x+2)+log(x+3) \Rightarrow \log(x-2)+\log(x+2)+\log 2 +\log(x+3)=\log(x+2) + \log(x+3) . Notice 2 of the terms cancel on both sides of the equation.
This leaves
log(x2)+log(2)=0log(2x4)=0 \displaystyle \log(x-2)+\log(2) = 0 \Rightarrow \log(2x-4)=0
this obviously means that
2x4=100=1x=5/2 \displaystyle 2x-4=10^0=1 \Rightarrow \boxed{ x=5/2 }
Reply 19
Original post by tuquid
Mostly knowing which equation to use, but it takes some time for me to find the value but i can normally do it. And your trapezium rule is explanation is great! It helps loads!

Awesome. Glad I could help. Easy 5 marks so make sure u nail that.

As for the identities we'll probably need to use sin^2x + cos^2x = 1

In which case when you see a cos^2x replace it with (1-sin^2x). Similarly if you see sin^2x replace with (1-cos^2x).

If u have something like 5cos^2x it will be 5(1-sin^2x). Which u will then expand to find 5 - 5sin^2x. Be careful with that.

It u have more sins in the questions likely you will convert your cos to sin and vide versa.

Also don't forget sometimes u will find SQUARE ROOT answeres. Where u must remember that it is both + and -

E.g tan^2x = 5
X = +/- (inverse tan)Root 5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending