The Student Room Group

A Level Options - Sociology or Photography??

Hi I'm reconsidering my A Levels which are currently:

English Lit/Lang
Geography
Psychology
Sociology

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what each subjects entails? I'm really struggling ;(
Original post by willsp8
Hi I'm reconsidering my A Levels which are currently:

English Lit/Lang
Geography
Psychology
Sociology

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what each subjects entails? I'm really struggling ;(

I'm currently taking Psychology and Sociology at A2. Psychology is hard ngl but interesting. There are a lot of studies to learn but getting a good grade is rewarding and the exam is very structured.

In Sociology AS I studied Families & Households and Education. Education in particular was interesting and it was so relatable. Families was a bit dry though, as was Beliefs which I studied this year along with Crime & Deviance which is my fave topic ever. I'm even planning on studying Sociology joint hons at university now because I've enjoyed it so much.

Read through the specs and see which ones you'd enjoy. Also, if you have any plans for uni degrees etc. see if there are any required subjects. Psychology is classed as a science by some universities so that may be useful. If I were you I'd study Psych and Soc and then maybe Geog for a bit of a change.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emiloujess
I'm currently taking Psychology and Sociology at A2. Psychology is hard ngl but interesting. There are a lot of studies to learn but getting a good grade is rewarding and the exam is very structured.

In Sociology AS I studied Families & Households and Education. Education in particular was interesting and it was so relatable. Families was a bit dry though, as was Beliefs which I studied this year along with Crime & Deviance which is my fave topic ever. I'm even planning on studying Sociology joint hons at university now because I've enjoyed it so much.

Read through the specs and see which ones you'd enjoy. Also, if you have any plans for uni degrees etc. see if there are any required subjects. Psychology is classed as a science by some universities so that may be useful. If I were you I'd study Psych and Soc and then maybe Geog for a bit of a change.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help :smile:

Thank you! Yes both my older sisters took Psychology with Sociology so it seems like a good pairing from what I understand. It's just I'm a pretty good photographer (apparently!) and my teacher really thinks I should take it to get an non-essay based subject in there. However I do not enjoy Photography as it very stressful to always take shoots every weekend and I can imagine this will be increased at A level. I am really interested in the mind and how people think so I'm in such a predicament!
Original post by willsp8
Thank you! Yes both my older sisters took Psychology with Sociology so it seems like a good pairing from what I understand. It's just I'm a pretty good photographer (apparently!) and my teacher really thinks I should take it to get an non-essay based subject in there. However I do not enjoy Photography as it very stressful to always take shoots every weekend and I can imagine this will be increased at A level. I am really interested in the mind and how people think so I'm in such a predicament!

If you don't think you'd enjoy it, don't take it would be my advice. Keep it as a hobby for outside of college because trust me you will need one! :smile: I take 3 essay based subjects (Film is the other one) and I've been coping okay I guess. It's not the type of subject so much as 'will you enjoy it?'. Psych and Soc do go incredibly well together I agree, although there is an ongoing friendly debate between my teachers about which is better :tongue:
For AS I did psychology, sociology, biology and photography. I dropped photography though and am only going to do the other three as full a levels. I would recommend doing sociology and psychology as I find them both interesting. I find some parts of sociology are a bit hard if you don't find that particularly interesting but the majority of it is very interesting. I would recommend it over photography as doing it as an AS honestly took the enjoyment out of it for me, as I was taking photos because I had to, not really because I was feeling inspired or enjoyed it. I find sociology, psychology and biology very interesting especially together as they interact, especially sociology and psychology and even though they are hard, it isn't so bad putting in the effort if you enjoy it. So yes my advice is to keep photography as a hobby so that you still enjoy it haha

Quick Reply

Latest