The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography Unit 1 24/05/16

Scroll to see replies

I thought the 8 marker for weather and climate was badly worded
Reply 21
What did people put for the fold mountain question cause i didnt mention geosynclines and all that
On ice on the land were we supposed to use a case study for the Avalanche question? Very confused as it didn't specifically state and had a previous 4 marker on the case study
Original post by Polagra
Discussion:
How did everyone find that exam?
Grade boundaries?
Questions (especially descriptive questions)?

I did
Restless Earth
Living world
&a Coastal zone

Restless earn was ridiculously easy finished that in about 20 mins
The living world was casual as expected some difficult word question and for the 8 marker had to include 2 case studies.
For the coastal zone found it a bit uneasy some weird question but all in all i found it very well as the question were mostly on geographic knowledge and a couple of aplliance questions but we're very easy.
I Think the grade boundaries will stay the same or fluctuate down because some people found it very difficult.

I think it really depended on what you revise e.g I revised dessert and fold mountain case studies in lesson and those were both 8 markers but the third was harder.

Wonder how the human papers gonna be need to do more revision for that
Reply 24
Original post by Polagra
What did people put in Restless Earth on the first question what was name of volcano????????? I got St Helens

Me too
Reply 25
Original post by Izzytempleheald
On ice on the land were we supposed to use a case study for the Avalanche question? Very confused as it didn't specifically state and had a previous 4 marker on the case study

NO i think we only use a case study if they ask for one
Reply 26
Original post by irfugigfea
I did weather and climate, living world and water on the land, and thought I got really lucky on the questions, apart from the weather and climate 8 marker, which I thought was a bit weird...

I found the weather and climate 8 marker weird too! What did you write for it because a lot of people I've spoken to think they have done it wrong
Original post by polagra
no i think we only use a case study if they ask for one

thank god
Reply 28
Original post by Polagra
Also.... for fold mountains question:

I put that they occur at destructive and collision. Collision due to the two continental plates colliding and material in-between to form fold mountains bilaterally. And at destructive plat boundary unilaterally due to continental being crumpled

What did everyone else put??????

I put exactly that, sure it is correct.
Original post by Polagra
What did people put for the fold mountain question cause i didnt mention geosynclines and all that

I said sediment builds up in the geosynclines in the land, then that two continental plates because they have a similar density collide and one doesn't subduct under the other so they crumple up, crumpling up the sediment with anticlines and synclines which produces fold mountains, then I gave an example of The Andes

abondance, charmonix, galtur, something like that, I did galtur
edit: oops didn't read ur Q properly, pretty sure you do, it was 'describe the effects of an avalanche' so it'd be in your best instincts to include a case study to replicate the effects, however if you didn't use one you could still get like 6/8 marks, you just can't achieve level 3 because you've not used any specific data which is what they ask for in the mark scheme. Unless it's a question on processes or something where you just need to use a figure (although you should use a case study with a figure) then you should always use a case study
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh no, I just pray it wasn't essential
Reply 31
Hope grade boundaries are lowwwwwwwwwwwww af
Reply 32

you cant get into level 3 7-8 without specific knowledge ie. a case study
When will there be an unofficial mark scheme?
The paper was out of 75 weren't it
3 25 mark papers
Original post by izak
you cant get into level 3 7-8 without specific knowledge ie. a case study

It didn't ask for one though, cry
Reply 35
A bit of a random question but what were the first questions for the living world, water and rocks?
Reply 36
Original post by Polagra
Also.... for fold mountains question:

I put that they occur at destructive and collision. Collision due to the two continental plates colliding and material in-between to form fold mountains bilaterally. And at destructive plat boundary unilaterally due to continental being crumpled

What did everyone else put??????

I used the case study example of the Alps if this is the same question.
who is revising 4 paper 2 GCSE Geography on 8th June????
I am revising for population,tourism and changing urban environment(which I hate).
Original post by SaraAli123
who is revising 4 paper 2 GCSE Geography on 8th June????
I am revising for population,tourism and changing urban environment(which I hate).

Same here!
Yep, Mount Saint Helens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending