The Student Room Group

24th May 2016, Physical Education AQA AS Level exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bakawogo
Can someone tell me what BMI calculates

Body fat
Reply 21
Original post by emanny
Body fat

Book says "indication of height to weight ratio" which surely suggests it is body composition ?
Original post by sykesorstyles
I haven't found any forums for this exam! My absolute favourite subject; how is everyone coping?

Sat this exam today an I LOVE LOVE LOVE'd it! It was a beautiful paper!
I thought it was body composition?
Was the tennis serve multi-choice question A or D? The question after that suggested it could be either as long as you justified your answer but idk
Reply 25
Original post by Bakawogo
Can someone tell me what BMI calculates

Body composition
Reply 26
Original post by andymharrison_
Was the tennis serve multi-choice question A or D? The question after that suggested it could be either as long as you justified your answer but idk

I put Self Paced discrete Gross if I remember correctly
yeah i put that too
Reply 28
yeah i put that too

What did u out for the push-up question: Tricep, flexion and eccentric?
I think they tried to trick people into putting bicep as flexion, as flexion of the elbow causes the biceps to contract but in the push-up position on the way down the triceps take the load. But again never can be too sure.

Also what did u mention for the increasing participation for girls in school??
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah i put those 3 too.
Reply 30
How come its body composition? Isn't bmi a measure of obesity which is defined as 20% + body fat therefore bmi calculates body fat maybe I'm wrong.

For increasing girls I put increase range of activities, make it more fashionable, single sex groups
what do you all think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 32
Original post by emanny
How come its body composition? Isn't bmi a measure of obesity which is defined as 20% + body fat therefore bmi calculates body fat maybe I'm wrong.

For increasing girls I put increase range of activities, make it more fashionable, single sex groups

Well the reason I didn't choose body fat is because BMI stands for body mass index, emphasis on the "mass" meaning the total mass of the individual. And whilst still can be used to gage body fat, nowadays it's rendered as irrelevant and limited as it doesn't take into account an indivduals muscle mass, only total mass.

For example I'm 5ft 6 70KG. On a BMI chart would be considered overweight and thus you would assume I have a high body fat. But in reality my body fat is like 14-15% which is standard. This happens because muscle mass is not taken into account. Hope that makes sense lol.
Reply 33
what do you all think the grade boundaries will be?

Well I'd be happy if an A was like 57-62 somewhere there some found it easy but then again it's done nationally so basically hope everyone else stuggled lol.
i think it will be around there too, but some parts were hard
Reply 35
Original post by 11aliw
Well the reason I didn't choose body fat is because BMI stands for body mass index, emphasis on the "mass" meaning the total mass of the individual. And whilst still can be used to gage body fat, nowadays it's rendered as irrelevant and limited as it doesn't take into account an indivduals muscle mass, only total mass.

For example I'm 5ft 6 70KG. On a BMI chart would be considered overweight and thus you would assume I have a high body fat. But in reality my body fat is like 14-15% which is standard. This happens because muscle mass is not taken into account. Hope that makes sense lol.

i get it now lol, 1 mark lost.

I think an A will be 65 marks.
Original post by Ash Crook
Sat this exam today an I LOVE LOVE LOVE'd it! It was a beautiful paper!

yes I completely agree!! the 12 marker was a gift from heaven!
It calculates body composition, I wasn't thinking straight in that exam and put body fat, although I got the analysis of movement right. It was Flexion, Tricep branchii and Eccentric 👍🏼
Yeh i agree really happy with it - just two questions - for the redistribution of blood what did you write and for the 12 marker aswell - just making sure👌🏼
Original post by 11aliw

But I thought that was one of the reasons why BMI is a weakness.. because it is invalid as it doesn't account for large muscle mass or a large physique/frame. If you type "what is BMI" in google, most search results will say "BMI is a measure of body fat"

Quick Reply

Latest