The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 1 WPH01 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RotiKebab
For everyone asking about the ball question, here is what i did: For the first question to find the maximum height, the time was 6/20 because 20 was 1 second. And then use of equation s=ut+1/2at^2 because initial is zero as it falls from maximum height, all gpe no ke. You should get around 0.44m. Then for the second part, use the picture, if 0.44 was actual height, 6 cm was height on picture, that means total length(horizontal) was 9.3 cm. Convert both cm to meter. Use: If 6cm is 0.44m what is 9.3cm. You should get horizontal distance is 0.682m. Then use simple distance/time. Time for total should be 20/20 is 1 second and + 4/20 as it was 24 pictures and 20 was one second, so you need to add the extra 4, time should be 1.2. So velocity is 0.568m/s, atleast this is what i got, hopefully, it's correct.

I think you did most things right but then how come the horz. distance be greater than vertical fallen distance! ...0.6>0.44 ?? I got something like about 2 m..and the falling time is same as the time required to travel the horz.. As it was just a half projectile..so no required to do the time of flight..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
exactly. we had to take those 6 pics in account between x and y not all

I'm quite sure they only asked about the horizontal velocity, not sure if i remember them asking specifically between x and y, that would seem a bit odd.
for that horiz velocity question, it said "use the photograph". so you had to measure the horiz distance between X and y and it came to be like 1.5cm. then use the scale from the prev question where 5.5 cm on pic was 0.44m
5.5 cm ----- 0.44m
1.5 cm ------0.12m

horiz velocity= 0.12/0.3= 0.4 ms-1

Exactly what i did..😊
Original post by Einsteinj.n.r
yeah you should get the mark.. I also said plot a graph of v against r^2.. then compare the equation for viscosity with y=mx+c.. then simply substitute m with eta( n )

what if we took weight of ball on y axis and 6pirv on x axes and get the gradient
it was like wieght = n6pirv + upthrust
y =m x + c
I'm quite sure they only asked about the horizontal velocity, not sure if i remember them asking specifically between x and y, that would seem a bit odd.

they hadnt mentioned that though. The question was ambiguous -_-
I wonder about those 4 guys who think that this paper was a "piece of cake" xD
To be honest, the questions were not too tough, what made it hard was the severe shortage of time
Original post by Zainat0987
Exactly what i did..😊

Our most answers are identical :P
To be honest, the questions were not too tough, what made it hard was the severe shortage of time

but i made it on time. i started the paper from back xD

Yeah if thats what was asked to find then u r right..but i think it was a)ii) ques..so if i havent mistaken the ques. we were just asked to deal with the (x to y)..dont think they could have asked to do u anything more for a 4 mark ques we would alreday be doing a lot by scaling the distances from the image..not sure though u may be right only the ques papers can solve our ques. so will have to wait until **physics and maths tutor** post the model ans on their fb page..may b wait a couple of days 😊

Yup fully agreed ..it was d most lenghtiest paper i did among all the ial papers..i was also seating for the jan 16 paper..the 18 ques papers are much better..
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you did most things right but the how come the horz. distance be greater than vertical fallen distance! ...0.6>0.44 ?? I got something like about 2 m..and the falling time is same as the time required to travel the horz.. As it was just a half projectile..so no required to do the time of flight..

I did it for the entire, as in total velocity, because i dont remember them asking velocity specifically between X and Y, may be wrong, maybe both are correct

I would have also started it this way..😢..will b doing so from now on for u4 and u5..lol
I did it for the entire, as in total velocity, because i dont remember them asking velocity specifically between X and Y, may be wrong, maybe both are correct

nobody knows xD
I would have also started it this way..😢..will b doing so from now on for u4 and u5..lol

it is the best way for math exams but i thought why not try this fro physics one xD
it is the best way for math exams but i thought why not try this fro physics one xD

R u seating for d c34?
R u seating for d c34?

actually it's my first year in ALs and I'm going for AS units. C12 ofc
plus S1
anyways i must get on revising for c12. good luck everybody :biggrin:
actually it's my first year in ALs and I'm going for AS units. C12 ofc

If i am not wrong c12 is just tommorow..😂
Pay special attention to the area under the curve from jan 16..

Quick Reply