The Student Room Group

What do you think happened to Madeline McCann?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
But I think the spotlight is what makes people believe they didn't do anything because as you said, a brighter spotlight seems like more spillage of the truth.

No, I don't think so, I think he was just interested.

Nor can I. It's very morbid indeed.

Surely your name not being national news would be more a consolation. And the fuss they made about it was the only thing that brought around massively increased scrutiny... You'd have to be pretty confident with your crime to do so.

It's quite scary that there are people like that in the world:s-smilie:
Original post by ivybridge
I do. However, I think it was an innocent thing with a huge consequence. Plenty of parents do it and nothing happens and we don't condemn them because nothing happened. We only condemn the McCann's because something did happen.

I did! :smile:

But I think it's terrible, why would you leave your children in a room alone in a foreign country?
But I think it's terrible, why would you leave your children in a room alone in a foreign country?

I said I agreed...
I do. However, I think it was an innocent thing with a huge consequence. Plenty of parents do it and nothing happens and we don't condemn them because nothing happened. We only condemn the McCann's because something did happen.

I did! :smile:

I'd say that's the whole issue, it's wrong to do it because something could happen

believe me i'd condemn in person anyone who told me theyd done it.

(I'm glad you liked it)
Original post by george_c00per
Whether or not the parents did it or not, they sure as hell milked the story and made millions from it. I don't understand why this particular story got such widespread attention - the parents were, even if they didn't actually take Madeleine themselves, responsible for her disappearance so I don't understand why they get all of this sympathy.

Many young children go missing from their beds, most of which with the parents in the house, every year - why don't they get headline news?

I feel like the story was rather romanticised if that makes sense....

A white, middle-class respectable British couple on holiday in Spain, having dinner with some friends they befriended earlier whilst playing tennis, and all of a sudden their daughter disappears from her room whilst the twins are fine.

Hmmm....
I said I agreed...

I know, I know I just think it's terrible.
Without sounding too harsh, I don't think we should concern ourselves with what happened now. Especially after how long it's been and how much money has been pumped into it. Children go missing nearly every day and it should be the current investigations that are being focused on. If the McCann's want to carry on and pump their own money in then that's fine by me but as I see it, they were the irresponsible ones. No matter what they thought at the time and whether other people may have done it, you just don't leave your kids by themselves. I don't get who in their right mind would do that, it goes against every human instinct. Surely you'd want to protect your children and keep an eye on them at all times, especially when on holiday in a foreign country?
Anyway, that's my take on it.
Parents killed her on accident and they disposed of the body. Thats the most likely scenario imo
Original post by whitetack
I'd say that's the whole issue, it's wrong to do it because something could happen

believe me i'd condemn in person anyone who told me theyd done it.

(I'm glad you liked it)

I agree, I wouldn't do it. I don't think it means they killed her.

:smile:
Original post by NeverGrowUp
because they get a lot of money for it maybe? I'm not so sure where i stand but I can seethe positibiltiies from both sides

Do they? I don't think money was ever an issue for them from the off - this is how they've funded half of this. I think they've lost more than they've gained.

Madeline is honestly one of the biggest mysteries that I want so badly to be solved before I die.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this!:colondollar: I worry that it's a bit insensitive... I read into the whole case quite deeply a few weeks ago and it's so annoying not knowing what happened to her... I'd really love to know:ninja:
I feel like the story was rather romanticised if that makes sense....

A white, middle-class respectable British couple on holiday in Spain, having dinner with some friends they befriended earlier whilst playing tennis, and all of a sudden their daughter disappears from her room whilst the twins are fine.

Hmmm....

Exactly, because they were seen as the "classic British holiday makers" they were given special treatment however I really don't think that should ever be the case, to give a pair of adults sympathy for basically causing this to happen because they are like you and me.

They've released books, documentaries, films, and more, do they not feel guilty that they're profiting off of the disappearance of their then 4 year old daughter?? (That is if they didn't do all of this purposely)
Original post by examiningboard
Without sounding too harsh, I don't think we should concern ourselves with what happened now. Especially after how long it's been and how much money has been pumped into it. Children go missing nearly every day and it should be the current investigations that are being focused on. If the McCann's want to carry on and pump their own money in then that's fine by me but as I see it, they were the irresponsible ones. No matter what they thought at the time and whether other people may have done it, you just don't leave your kids by themselves. I don't get who in their right mind would do that, it goes against every human instinct. Surely you'd want to protect your children and keep an eye on them at all times, especially when on holiday in a foreign country?
Anyway, that's my take on it.

Exactly, I mean what if your 3 year old wakes up from a bad dream or something and runs out of the room looking for you, and falls into the pool or hurts herself? (This is why I believe the sedative thing) I mean it's ridiculous. I don't know why anybody would leave a child alone in a room like that.
Original post by Daniel9998
Parents killed her on accident and they disposed of the body. Thats the most likely scenario imo

I think I'm with you on that.
I agree, I wouldn't do it. I don't think it means they killed her.

:smile:

my personal opinion is that she died accidentally while they were out and they came home and covered it up because they knew theyd be blamed for leaving her alone

i hope im proved wrong and she turns up alive one day although maybe i dont because that would mean probably that terrible things have happened to her :frown:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this!:colondollar: I worry that it's a bit insensitive... I read into the whole case quite deeply a few weeks ago and it's so annoying not knowing what happened to her... I'd really love to know:ninja:

Gosh I want to know so much, I get excited everytime there is a madeline update (like remember a while back when apparently she was spotted?) but it's sad because I know she is dead, it's highly unlikely she is anywhere else. I strongly believe her parents overdosed her on sedatives and killed her and disposed her body.
Snatched and not alive.

In contrast for some reason I think Ben Needham was kidnapped and is still alive.
Original post by george_c00per
Exactly, because they were seen as the "classic British holiday makers" they were given special treatment however I really don't think that should ever be the case, to give a pair of adults sympathy for basically causing this to happen because they are like you and me.

They've released books, documentaries, films, and more, do they not feel guilty that they're profiting off of the disappearance of their then 4 year old daughter?? (That is if they didn't do all of this purposely)

I agree. I think their status also had a lot to do with why they weren't accused of much sooner.
Exactly!

I really hope it was the sedative thing because I would hate to think she died any other way. :frown:

I'd rather hope she is still alive somewhere :erm:

I think that would be a better outcome. But that's just me.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'd rather hope she is still alive somewhere :erm:

I think that would be a better outcome. But that's just me.

Not if she is being tortured or abused in someones attic somewhere. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest