The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A Breadth of Physics (24th May 2016) Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by chemari1
say
in
3) Could I have said about the impulse provided by the comet acting on it and decreases with the change of momentum
5) I was on a bout the graph we got given to describe
6) I thought that at first but I changed it stupidly
7) so are them 8 marks including the graph to be described?

3)Well I'm not Jesus so I don't know what they would put on the mark scheme, but I imagine they would put more than just 2 things for 2 marks. However, they were looking for forces, so I can't imagine they would give any marks to deal with impulse/momentum.
5) Can't really remember, can you describe it a bit more to jog my memory.
6) Rip in peace
7) Yes, there was 4 marks to describe the graph I believe. and rest were calculations
Original post by Ramoose
3)Well I'm not Jesus so I don't know what they would put on the mark scheme, but I imagine they would put more than just 2 things for 2 marks. However, they were looking for forces, so I can't imagine they would give any marks to deal with impulse/momentum.
6) Rip in peace
7) Yes, there was 4 marks to describe the graph I believe. and rest were calculations

thank you so much; 5) it was that of the LED I-V Characteristic
where we had to describe (my big doubt is whether it was voltage or what?)
that something for a voltage from -2.1? to 1.6 where the stopping voltage is overcome ( I put) and electrons can move onto the conduction band
then from that up to like 3.2 V where it increased linearly obeying ohm's law I said
then the third one is that the Led was destroyed .... beyond a voltage (think it was 3.2)
is that right?
about 6) I mentioned in the answer about the formation of the fundamental mode between XY (apart from the detailed exp. for the formation of the stationary wave) after reflecting that they superimpose with an antinode in the middle and nodes at both X and Y. I added
that this is so cause XY is a quarter of a wavelength (which is not correct) and that it's the fundamental mode
Would I still get all the marks
7) so with the LED orientation (3) and graph desc. (4) the very last thing about the photon was only 1 mark?
Original post by Ramoose
6) Rip in peace

that something for a voltage from -2.1? to 1.6 where the stopping voltage is overcome ( I put) and electrons can move onto the conduction band
then from that up to like 3.2 V where it increased linearly obeying ohm's law I said
then the third one is that the Led was destroyed .... beyond a voltage (think it was 3.2)
is that right?
about 6) I mentioned in the answer about the formation of the fundamental mode between XY (apart from the detailed exp. for the formation of the stationary wave) after reflecting that they superimpose with an antinode in the middle and nodes at both X and Y. I added
that this is so cause XY is a quarter of a wavelength (which is not correct) and that it's the fundamental mode
7) so with the LED orientation quest. (3) and graph desc. (4) the very last thing about the photon was only 1 mark?
Reply 484
is that right?
7) so with the LED orientation (3) and graph desc. (4) the very last thing about the photon was only 1 mark?

5) Still can't remember that clearly but I think it was part of the last question. You had to describe the IV characteristic of the LED. It asks you in 3 parts, describe resistance as the voltage increases.
When the line is flat along the x axis, the resistance is infinite, therefore as V=IR, the current must be infinitely small.
Then the resistance decreases as the voltage increases
Then past the curve part, the resistance decreases a lot as voltage increases.
6)I think the key parts are that 2 waves are formed from the bounce and are coherent, then they reflect and superpose/interfere, then nodes and antinodes are formed. Probably 2 of those 3 is enough for full marks.
7) Probably will miss a mark or 2 for failing to mention that the frequency was lower than the threshold frequency. I believe the explanation was worth 4 marks.
The last thing about the photon was 3 marks.
Hi daniaal :smile:
Original post by dan1aal
hi in regards to this post i'd just like to let you know that you said "multiple choice questions thanks to abeh" but in fact me daniaal and my friend (yiannis) are the ones who found that book and took a long time to convert it into a pdf hence it has a watermark on the bottom with our names on every single page of the document and the google drive link you have posted is from yiannis's google drve and he originally shared it on the a level physics online youtube channels comment section for the mcq video.

Some people on other threads have posted it too but i just wanted to make it clear that we are the ones who spent a long time finding that ebook and then converting it.

I also have the chemistry version of the same book if anyone's interested.

Many thanks.
Original post by Ramoose
5) Still can't remember that clearly but I think it was part of the last question. You had to describe the IV characteristic of the LED. It asks you in 3 parts, describe resistance as the voltage increases.
When the line is flat along the x axis, the resistance is infinite, therefore as V=IR, the current must be infinitely small.
Then the resistance decreases as the voltage increases
Then past the curve part, the resistance decreases a lot as voltage increases.
6)I think the key parts are that 2 waves are formed from the bounce and are coherent, then they reflect and superpose/interfere, then nodes and antinodes are formed. Probably 2 of those 3 is enough for full marks.
7) Probably will miss a mark or 2 for failing to mention that the frequency was lower than the threshold frequency. I believe the explanation was worth 4 marks.
The last thing about the photon was 3 marks.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4114965
there's the answers, are you doing mechanics 3 tomorrow by any chance?
Reply 487
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4114965
there's the answers, are you doing mechanics 3 tomorrow by any chance?

No, I'm AS
Original post by Ramoose
No, I'm AS
I'm AS too like, just picked to do it this year, in this physics paper I lost like 15 marks, which apparently will make it to 90ums, how did you find it?
Reply 489
I'm AS too like, just picked to do it this year, in this physics paper I lost like 15 marks, which apparently will make it to 90ums, how did you find it?

The exam was definitely not as hard as the specimen papers, and I didn't think it was that difficult, just thinking through the problems required a lot of time, and kinda cut it close. Think I probably missed out 2 or 3 on the more annoying multiple choice. The rest was pretty easy, but I'm anticipating some marks lost on being not detailed enough on the experiment descriptions maybe. (e.g. taking averages, plotting straight line through origin, using equipment etc.)
p.s. it's best to prepare for the worst rather than being disappointed with your result when it's lower than what you predicted. (Sorry, just my cup of tea)
Reply 490
I think the Archimedes was doable although I didnt get it right myself. I believe that the reason is was so tough for many, including me, is that on almost all past papers the Archimedes questions have been much simpler and I had never seen a question where you are asked to work out the density using only the quantities given...
Original post by Ramoose
The exam was definitely not as hard as the specimen papers, and I didn't think it was that difficult, just thinking through the problems required a lot of time, and kinda cut it close. Think I probably missed out 2 or 3 on the more annoying multiple choice. The rest was pretty easy, but I'm anticipating some marks lost on being not detailed enough on the experiment descriptions maybe. (e.g. taking averages, plotting straight line through origin, using equipment etc.)
p.s. it's best to prepare for the worst rather than being disappointed with your result when it's lower than what you predicted. (Sorry, just my cup of tea)

do you go to a private school?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 492
Is there a poll for the predicted grade boundaries?

I think that would be helpful to see how everyone found it and make a good guess on probable grade boundaries...
Reply 493
Original post by voltz
Is there a poll for the predicted grade boundaries?

I think that would be helpful to see how everyone found it and make a good guess on probable grade boundaries...

voltz you saved my life with your experiments thread
Reply 494
Original post by mahmzo

I like this video because it makes me feel smug since I found that momentum question super simple.
is there a depth thread?
Reply 496
Original post by viktorh
Did all you 70 people remember to use a negative value for velocity when the particle was going in the other direction?

Just used used the p before = p after equation, the guy who posted the impromptu mark scheme got 78
Reply 497
All these people saying it was easy, lets wait till results day :smile:
G481 and G482 were easy, this was something completely different
Reply 498
Original post by Parhomus
I chose B because; and I don't think I'm correct, but if the velocity is 0 then displacement=0. So Idk, I thought it would be B, because the negative velocity implies that the ball has gone up past the original height it was released from. I'm not sure though, I thought maybe it wanted to distinguish between speed and velocity?

velocity being 0 does not mean displacement is 0, as its v was 0, it meant it was as high as it could go, then it began to gain velocity in the opposite direction
Original post by Shmadm
velocity being 0 does not mean displacement is 0, as its v was 0, it meant it was as high as it could go, then it began to gain velocity in the opposite direction

Yeah, I was just suggesting why I initially thought the answer was B, but when I came out I had realised it was C

Quick Reply

Latest