The Student Room Group

AQA FP4 25th May 2016 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pic
5D Jan 2011...

I don't fully get why the line where 2 planes intersect is perpendicular to both planes

HELP

Well you know a point on the plane (4, 1, 9)
So if you consider the eq. of the plane in the form r.n=d
You are missing n and d, however in part a) you found an equation of the line of intersection between pi1 and pi2.
The direction vector of this line HAS to be perpendicular to both if you think about it.
Hence you just sub this vector (1,-12,2) and your point in and you will find the constant --> eq of the plane found
Original post by B_9710
The fact that the eigenvalue is repeated is not important, it's just a coincidence in this case. It doesn't have to be repeated. Don't think of it as splitting a vector, think of it as just finding 2 'random' vectors that satisfy the equations (the 3 repeated ones).

In that case then, how do you identify that this is in fact an invariant plane?
Is it because you have 3 of the same equations and you can find 2 vectors that satisfy in this case (x+y-z=0)?
Original post by B_9710
The fact that the eigenvalue is repeated is not important, it's just a coincidence in this case. It doesn't have to be repeated. Don't think of it as splitting a vector, think of it as just finding 2 'random' vectors that satisfy the equations (the 3 repeated ones).

You gonna post those answers? :biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by Argylesocksrox

Oh yes. You reminded me. I'll do it in a min.
Reply 84
Original post by pic
5D Jan 2011...

I don't fully get why the line where 2 planes intersect is perpendicular to both planes

HELP

The line of intersection is parallel to both planes. This means that the line is perpendicular to the normal of both planes (which is why you do the vector product of the 2 normals as it gives you a vector that is perpendicular to both normals.) A vector that is perpendicular to the normal of a plane will be parallel to the plane itself.
image.jpg
Notice how the line of intersection lies in Π1 \Pi_1 and Π2 \Pi_2 so is parallel to both?
Reply 85
Original post by 01binary

The direction vector of this line HAS to be perpendicular to both if you think about it.

I just can't visualise this... is the direction of the line of intersection between 2 planes ALWAYS going to be perpendicular to both planes?
Original post by pic
I just can't visualise this... is the direction of the line of intersection between 2 planes ALWAYS going to be perpendicular to both planes?

Look at the slopes of the edges of each plane if you were
to do the cross product between those you'd get a normal(the line of intersection)

Think if you put a plus sign on the floor and the the middle of the plus sign
you'd have a line coming straight up towards your face. Idk how else to describe
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by B_9710
The line of intersection is parallel to both planes. This means that the line is perpendicular to the normal of both planes (which is why you do the vector product of the 2 normals as it gives you a vector that is perpendicular to both normals.) A vector that is perpendicular to the normal of a plane will be parallel to the plane itself.
image.jpg
Notice how the line of intersection lies in Π1 \Pi_1 and Π2 \Pi_2 so is parallel to both?

Thanks this makes perfect sense.

However, I'm still confused in the context of jan 2011 5d. (1 -12 2) is the direction of the line of intersection and so is parallel to both planes, and perpendicular to both normals. But the question wants the direction perpenciular to both planes not their normals, so I don't get why (1 -12 2) is the normal direction...

edit: got it! dw
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by pic
Thanks this makes perfect sense.

However, I'm still confused in the context of jan 2011 5d. (1 -12 2) is the direction of the line of intersection and so is parallel to both planes, and perpendicular to both normals. But the question wants the direction perpenciular to both planes not their normals, so I don't get why (1 -12 2) is the normal direction...

edit: got it! dw

I wouldn't overcomplicate this question. You want to find a pl;ane whcih is perpendicular to both Π1 \Pi_1 and Π2 \Pi_2 so you want the plane to be parallel to each of the nromal vectors to Π1 \Pi_1 and Π2 \Pi_2 so I would just give the euqation fo the plane as

r=[419]+λ[629]+μ[10111] \displaystyle \mathbf{r}=\begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ 1 \\9 \end{bmatrix} +\lambda \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 2 \\9 \end{bmatrix} + \mu \begin{bmatrix} 10 \\ -1 \\ -11 \end{bmatrix} .
Reply 89
Original post by Argylesocksrox

For the first part I get
9x2+4y2+14xy+36x+10y10=0 9x^2+4y^2+14xy+36x+10y-10=0 .
And for the second part I get
188x2216xy+62y2+3=0 188x^2-216xy+62y^2+3=0 .
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone explain how to do the right hand rule for cross product?
Reply 91
Original post by MahirYuksel
Can someone explain how to do the right hand rule for cross product?

Why do you need the rule?
Original post by B_9710
Why do you need the rule?

I guess to aid understanding of normals.
When finding a point of intersection between two planes, why can you just set say X=0?
if you had found a eq of say 15x-3y=45 by eliminating z
Reply 94
I'm feeling comfortable with the module now but I bet I'll take my words back when they pull an FP3 tomorrow
This is either going to be my best or worst module, depending on how my algebra is tommorow.
Reply 96
Original post by B_9710
I wouldn't overcomplicate this question. You want to find a pl;ane whcih is perpendicular to both Π1 \Pi_1 and Π2 \Pi_2 so you want the plane to be parallel to each of the nromal vectors to Π1 \Pi_1 and Π2 \Pi_2 so I would just give the euqation fo the plane as

r=[419]+λ[629]+μ[10111] \displaystyle \mathbf{r}=\begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ 1 \\9 \end{bmatrix} +\lambda \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 2 \\9 \end{bmatrix} + \mu \begin{bmatrix} 10 \\ -1 \\ -11 \end{bmatrix} .

Good shout, good luck tomorrow mate!
Reply 97
Original post by pic
Good shout, good luck tomorrow mate!

Good luck to you too.
Reply 98
Original post by B_9710

I always thought a repeated eigenvalue meant invariant plane.
Reply 99
Original post by Qcomber
I always thought a repeated eigenvalue meant invariant plane.

I don't think so. It's when all 3 equations are the same. Whether this always happens with a repeated eigenvalue or not, I'm not sure.
Perhaps you're right, that's what I used to think.
Just from thinking about it, when you have been doing questions have you found that a repeated eigenvalue leads to all 3 equations being identical, hence an invariant plane. I think it may be the case.
Since searching, I have found that a repeated eigenvalues do NOT imply an invariant plane.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending