The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 tomorrow - How to not run out of time??

So far in C1 and my first Physics exam I found the papers so easy but did not have enough time to finish which makes me sooooo angry, because I can't believe that time is letting me down, what matters at the end is what I know and I know it, but the time is just killing Any tips/advice on how to finish on time? I really can't afford to do the same mistake 3 times now.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reda2
So far in C1 and my first Physics exam I found the papers so easy but did not have enough time to finish which makes me sooooo angry, because I can't believe that time is letting me down, what matters at the end is what I know and I know it, but the time is just killing Any tips/advice on how to finish on time? I really can't afford to do the same mistake 3 times now.

Try finish the questions over a shorter duration
Reply 2
Original post by LewisClothier
Try finish the questions over a shorter duration

I do work through the papers as fast as I can but my problem is that I'm so used to showing all my steps, even the small ones, and sometimes I do it just way to safe and show every single step just to make sure I get the marks but that eats up the time.
Original post by Reda2
I do work through the papers as fast as I can but my problem is that I'm so used to showing all my steps, even the small ones, and sometimes I do it just way to safe and show every single step just to make sure I get the marks but that eats up the time.

Haha, yeah that's a shame, let's be honest, It's not hard to just stop writing down all of the steps, if you write down enough for you to be able to work out the questions then you should be good, unless its a "show that" or a "prove" question.
Reply 4
Original post by LewisClothier
Haha, yeah that's a shame, let's be honest, It's not hard to just stop writing down all of the steps, if you write down enough for you to be able to work out the questions then you should be good, unless its a "show that" or a "prove" question.

Yes it's not hard, but it also increases the chance of you making errors cause you are kinda skipping steps. I guess I just need to work on my confidence! lol. Thanks for the answers mate.
Reply 5
Maybe try working through the paper backwards - then you can get the longer questions out of the way first and if you find you are running out of time it should be easier to rush the short questions.
Is this a level as I thought c2 was in two weeks???!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reda2

Original post by Reda2

dud you don't need to write yer whole step out just to do a simple calculation like 4x4 or 3+0.5 just do as much as you can in 1 step without going wrong

maybe start by reducing your total number of steps by x amount(whatever you choose)
Reply 8
Original post by studentlife444

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it's quite obviously A-Level Maths C2.
Perhaps you can minimise the number of steps - you really don't need to write every detail.

Eg if you were doing something with the equation 3x + 5 = 2y

3x + 5 = 2y (x5)

3*5x + (5*5) = (2*5)y

15x + 25 = 10y.

You could omit the middle line.
Reply 10
Yes, I'm practising now and looking at mark schemes at what lines they are looking for, for each question, hopefully this helps tomorrow. One more question, I write a lot of quick small statements, is that needed or not? for example, Area r =
Eq. of circle:
Since remainder = 7, therefore f(1) = 7
Original post by Reda2
Yes, I'm practising now and looking at mark schemes at what lines they are looking for, for each question, hopefully this helps tomorrow. One more question, I write a lot of quick small statements, is that needed or not? for example, Area r =
Eq. of circle:
Since remainder = 7, therefore f(1) = 7

I don't really think the bold one is necessary. The area one certainly is though
Original post by Reda2

Ugh I'm jealous. For me, I finish too quickly because I skip out on the questions I can't do and then realise oh it's the end of the paper - let's go back to the beginning.
Guess all you can do is do more past papers and pace yourself by assigning yourself a goal e.g. I need to be on question 6 after 30 minutes, etc.
Original post by studentlife444

Posted from TSR Mobile

'Edexcel C2' 'AS level' 'Maths section'

Nope - I think it's AQA GCSE Chemistry.
I usually have this problem but do all of the questions you can do easily with no hesitation first and then you'll have plenty of time at the end to focus on the more difficult time-consuming questions. For example, if question 2 is worth four marks and you've already spent 5 minutes on it, go onto the next question and come back to it later. Use the number of marks per question as a guide to how long you should be spending on each question.
Reply 15
Other than the way to do the questions, what other techniques should I be doing. I sound totally new to exams now lol. I'm not but just want to see if you guys have a different approach that might help me with the timing, because so far that is the only factor that is preventing me from getting a very hight grade, I won't let all this work that I have been doing go to waste because of timing.
Maybe time every single paper you do - or even cut the time down, so aim to finish a paper that should take 1 hr 30 in 1 hr 15, to allow your self maneuver time in the real thing
Reply 17
Original post by Namita Gurung
Ugh I'm jealous. For me, I finish too quickly because I skip out on the questions I can't do and then realise oh it's the end of the paper - let's go back to the beginning.
Guess all you can do is do more past papers and pace yourself by assigning yourself a goal e.g. I need to be on question 6 after 30 minutes, etc.

Yea that's the opposite of me, I can do all questions, but I try to do them too well which kills me.
Reply 18
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I usually have this problem but do all of the questions you can do easily with no hesitation first and then you'll have plenty of time at the end to focus on the more difficult time-consuming questions. For example, if question 2 is worth four marks and you've already spent 5 minutes on it, go onto the next question and come back to it later. Use the number of marks per question as a guide to how long you should be spending on each question.

Yes this is the main point I have been seeing, I will definitively be leaving questions that I think I will spend more time on, or at least start them, and if I exceed the time for the marks, then move on.
Reply 19
Original post by iMacJack
Maybe time every single paper you do - or even cut the time down, so aim to finish a paper that should take 1 hr 30 in 1 hr 15, to allow your self maneuver time in the real thing

The problem is, when I do the past papers at home I end up with 10-5 min extra. Very strange, just maybe because I don't put that much pressure on myself, and allow myself to relax more hehe

Quick Reply

Latest