The Student Room Group

How hard really are A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by *shadowclone*
i got an A* in maths and english but everyuthing else was A-C so i would defo not call my self a special student *though i didn't revise* however i have been doing revision for subjects by doing a past paper or skimming through text books and i'm finsing everything fairly easy tbh... and if you think it's my subjects, i do maths, FM, physics and english

I spoke about my own experience.. of course everyone has different experiences.
My brother got an A in a level maths with sooo little work just because he is more gifted with numbers etc. But when it comes to essays he struggles.
Everyone is different... i even know some people who worked their arses off and ended up with mediocre/bad grades.
Reply 41
If you're anything like me you want to stay in education until 18/19, but I don't really want to go through all the hard work, A levels are honestly a walk through a forest with no help in comparison to GCSEs which is like a walk in the park.
i'm doing maths, further maths, chem and physics, i know that i will do all of maths a level in one year and my other exams are just a2
Original post by _Xenon_
Where is physics??!!! 😐

bruh I can't wait to drop it :biggrin:
Make sure that you have thought over your A-Level options properly or you will have little motivation to revise. (I regret 3 out of 4 of my A-level choices 😭)
Reply 45
Original post by Yasdyxo
If you really wanted to, then there is no harm in doing so, but still enjoy your summer! Like i said a few hours a day will help a lot.
And even if its not 100% revision, starting to get your head into the mindset of a levels will help.
Look online for your subject specification.. email your teachers if you don't know the exam boards etc.
And i guess start looking at the beginning of the specification because most teachers start there.
Even start doing past exam papers, look at the mark schemes... see how they differ to GCSEs etc. Just TRY have fun learning lol.

What subjects are you thinking of taking though???

I'm thinking of doing that as well, so I can try and get used to the independent study that you have to do in A levels. I'm planning on taking ;
English literature
History
Economics or Sociology
Do you think it is a good idea that I start early, maybe read the books that I will hopefully be studying. Also if you take any of these subjects, do you have any tips?, or any tips on A levels in general.
Reply 46
Original post by Wan Hury
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks
The answer will depend on a lot of variables, but mainly: how academic you are (memory, comprehension, etc), how interested you are by the subject, organisation skills, work ethic and also the subjects you pick. If you love your subjects, you're 'smart', organised, hard working and work at a moderate pace right from september and you have moderate-easy subjects (or even with harder subjects), you could honestly find A levels really not that bad at all. However, some people seem to do badly even when they're super hard working and organised... I guess that comes down to ability and maybe not being good with exams. GCSE's can be a good indicator: consider your effort relative to grades achieved. If you worked your ass off and barely passed, maybe A-levels could be too much and vice versa.
Reply 47
Original post by _Hafsa
I'm thinking of doing that as well, so I can try and get used to the independent study that you have to do in A levels. I'm planning on taking ;
English literature
History
Economics or Sociology
Do you think it is a good idea that I start early, maybe read the books that I will hopefully be studying. Also if you take any of these subjects, do you have any tips?, or any tips on A levels in general.

I did English language and literature... but i know English Literature is the "harder" of the 2.

For English Literature I know you have a long reading list? So definitely start reading them... you have a whole summer so like i said before, have fun during it but instead of binge watching tv shows or w/e you do.. take 1 hour out and do something. Wait until you start a levels for essay writing/practicing as A Level english essays are sooo different to GCSEs, teachers will (hopefully) guide you.

History.. I wish i picked this, but yeah try find the specification and go over topics you will be learning. For now just learning and reading basic facts will help for summer and get you ahead. As teaching begins in September then start writing essays, past papers etc.

Don't know too much about Economics, but for Sociology look at the units list and start reading about them. I literally just searched sociology specification now and saw one learning point in unit1 being "The nature and extent of changes within thefamily, with reference to gender roles, domesticlabour and power relationships". So this suggests to me... how now some men stay at home look after kids, instead of the traditional women role etc....

Sorry for the long reply but yeah... tips:
1)don't cram... just start in September, get a revision routine. Better to spend 1hour a day than nothing.
2) pay attention in lessons and actually go to lessons. In a way you're more free at A Level, you're not really chased up so don't take this as an advantage.
3) ermmm... just learn mark schemes and past papers, always time yourself. I have a bad habit of writing too much and having to rush other questions.
4) good luck.
Original post by Wan Hury
Wagwan. I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback of how life is like whilst studying for your A-levels. I'm starting them in September (hopefully) and I wanted to know what people think of it. I already know it's one of the toughest things anyone could ever do, but other than that, is there anything else? Thanks

What you need to do is recap after every lesson and make sure you get used to exam technique! The content isn't hard at all it's just applying knowledge to the exam questions and how to structure essay questions which really throws people off! Make sure you understand how to do this earlier on so you can reinforce and just get better and better! Good luck with your GCSE's anyway.
Reply 49
Who did literature and maths at a level? Together?
Original post by Alevelhelp97
You'll be fine as long as you dont take english lol

I take english for a- levels im near the end of the first year.
Original post by surina16
bruh I can't wait to drop it :biggrin:

Aw physics is the best! What a shame. :frown:
Reply 52
Original post by IKEAPanda37
They are a lot of hard work and really stressful, but if you're willing to put in the effort, you'll get good grades :smile:

Just 2 words of advice:
- Don't do 4 subjects (unless you feel that you can definitely cope with them)
- Don't take Geography

I am going to do both :redface: (Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Geography)
Btw, what is wrong with Geography?
Reply 53
Original post by Yasdyxo
I did English language and literature... but i know English Literature is the "harder" of the 2.

For English Literature I know you have a long reading list? So definitely start reading them... you have a whole summer so like i said before, have fun during it but instead of binge watching tv shows or w/e you do.. take 1 hour out and do something. Wait until you start a levels for essay writing/practicing as A Level english essays are sooo different to GCSEs, teachers will (hopefully) guide you.

History.. I wish i picked this, but yeah try find the specification and go over topics you will be learning. For now just learning and reading basic facts will help for summer and get you ahead. As teaching begins in September then start writing essays, past papers etc.

Don't know too much about Economics, but for Sociology look at the units list and start reading about them. I literally just searched sociology specification now and saw one learning point in unit1 being "The nature and extent of changes within thefamily, with reference to gender roles, domesticlabour and power relationships". So this suggests to me... how now some men stay at home look after kids, instead of the traditional women role etc....

Sorry for the long reply but yeah... tips:
1)don't cram... just start in September, get a revision routine. Better to spend 1hour a day than nothing.
2) pay attention in lessons and actually go to lessons. In a way you're more free at A Level, you're not really chased up so don't take this as an advantage.
3) ermmm... just learn mark schemes and past papers, always time yourself. I have a bad habit of writing too much and having to rush other questions.
4) good luck.

Thank you so much, that was very helpful and not long at all. So I guess I will be starting right away, but I'm looking forward to it as those are the subjects I enjoy.
Again, Thank you.
I'm also staring A-Levels after this summer and I'm so excited/ scared. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Now I wonder if that's a lot of complex subjects to do .. But whatever it is I just gotta be ready for it.

Good luck in your A-levels and to all current A-level students!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
And number 1 tip... Don't listen to people who say "NEVER DO THIS SUBJECT OMGGGZZG" I got a D in Spanish and for me languages is so hard, but i don't regret it because even though i was **** i still enjoyed it.
Do the subjects you are good at and something you like. Otherwise you won't want to do any work for it.
Really hard for the first few months but then slightly ok... If you have a good memory... stupid schooling system testing memory pft
I went from A*s at GCSE to Cs at AS, but as the year goes on, you get used to it a bit :wink: Just take the subjects you wanna do, not the ones you think you should :P Although I last minute picked chemistry instead of geography and I thought that'd be a terrible idea but no, twas great
Depends on the person how A-levels will go. There is a step up, definitely, most people feel it right from the start, but if you have a good work ethic then you won't feel it at all until maybe exams.

Never take subjects just because they're easy, the step up will be horrible for that subject and you still hate it, and honestly make sure you take subjects you enjoy, i took FMaths as my fourth subject because i enjoy maths, i don't want to continue with it, but who cares? It makes it a lot easier to do well and revise it.

Make sure you hit the ground running and you'll be fine :smile:
GCSEs don't adequately prepare you for them, but after the initial shock of ASes and hard work they aren't insurmountable.

Quick Reply

Latest