The Student Room Group

Critical thinking exam 2016 (OCR)

So I have my two AS critical thinking exams in a couple of weeks! I'm trying really hard to revise for critical thinking but when I've been doing the most recent past papers, like last year's, even the supposedly easiest questions on the paper I'm finding difficult!

My questions are:

How do you ASSESS the use of (e.g.) a credibility criterion to get full marks?

Am I right in thinking that in paper one when looking at evidence we're deciding whether the evidence itself is actually good and then in paper to we're looking at how the argument USES the evidence?

Does anyone have any helpful revision materials that I don't know about?! I've got the text book but find it a bit confusing sometimes!!!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Anonymousgirl13
So I have my two AS critical thinking exams in a couple of weeks! I'm trying really hard to revise for critical thinking but when I've been doing the most recent past papers, like last year's, even the supposedly easiest questions on the paper I'm finding difficult!

My questions are:

Am I right in thinking that in paper one when looking at evidence we're deciding whether the evidence itself is actually good and then in paper to we're looking at how the argument USES the evidence?

Does anyone have any helpful revision materials that I don't know about?! I've got the text book but find it a bit confusing sometimes!!!

Hi! I moved this to the Critical Thinking forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymousgirl13

My questions are:

Best way is to use CRAVEN.
C-Context (Where/When it was written)
R-Reputation (If the person writing has a reputation to uphold)
A-Ability to See (Whether the person actually saw an event they are talking about)
V-Vested Interest (If the person writing will have a reason/interest to favour one side)
E-Expertise (If the person is knowledgeable on the subject)
N-Neutrality (Whether or not the person writing is not in favour of either side)
How do I get to the critical thinking forum?
I found the exam hardddddddddd!!! Not very similar to previous papers
How did everyone find this exam
I found it harder than the others 😢😢
Well that was ****ing horrendous
Original post by Jimmy3148
I finished the paper with 30 seconds left to check my answers

Me too!! I found it very confusing and difficult
Reply 8
I didn't really grasp the full concept of the live streaming thing, it was an odd topic compared to past topics
Reply 9
What a horrible exam! I understood all the past papers but this one was so confusing. Lost so many marks!
oh no i thought i did alright but now everyones saying it was awful :00 thats never a good sign especially when this is the first paper i ever finished on time ;;A;;
Reply 11
Easily the worst paper I've done - I didn't revise much and had accepted it wasn't going to go well but even so it wasn't good!
I didn't finish it, had to skip a few earlier questions to finish my essay and the credibility section :/ At least it's over now!
That paper was so different to any past papers! I've never seen a 13 marker on assessing credibility - or a question asking me to state what the example is illustrating!
So do you guys think that the grade boundaries are going to be lower this year, or...?
how did you all find paper 2? :confused::confused:
Reply 15
Original post by KatieDenn

it was better than unit 1 but I still think I did bad :smile:

thank god it doesn't count for much!
Original post by KatieDenn

There was a section of the MCQ where I got CDCDC as my answers and I am terrified.
Apart from that, the analogy question was kind of awful but everything else felt pretty all right! Hopefully I'll manage an A.
What about you?
Reply 17
Original post by roarchika
There was a section of the MCQ where I got CDCDC as my answers and I am terrified.
Apart from that, the analogy question was kind of awful but everything else felt pretty all right! Hopefully I'll manage an A.
What about you?

What did you write for the analogy question? I wrote something like contract being compared to borrowing money (?!)
Original post by Jitesh
What did you write for the analogy question? I wrote something like contract being compared to borrowing money (?!)

AH I WROTE THAT TOO!! I also wrote something about how a relatively inexpensive item (a phone can be like £30) was being compared to an expensive designer item but I really was struggling for points with that question.

TBH I sat my latin literature exam straight before critical thinking and i found the latin easier goodbye
I resorted to comparing technology and fashion

Quick Reply

Latest