The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2017

Scroll to see replies

It's the guardian, there's no way half of these shitty universities can be at the top. No offense.

I wouldn't listen to this nonsense. The CUG is a lot better.
The only rankings that actually matter (if at all) are the international ones
Lolololol, this gave me a laugh.
Original post by Exceptional
Are they having a laugh?

City, 18th. KCL, 42nd. Logic redefined.

What's more annoying is that this clearly manipulative piece of propaganda is going to feature in the next prospectus associated with the institutions with inflated places, like Surrey, Lancaster, City, Falmouth, etc. How can they boast about an accolade that's drenched in utter *******s?

Surrey, Lancaster and City are all decent universities though

Obviously KCL should be higher, but you're basing your view on prestige which is a completely different thing to student experience which is what these rankings seem to be based on.... :h:
Reply 64
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
Even though it's a bit nonsense...

I'm glad Bristol is number 38.

Why?
Reply 65
Original post by MVA786
Im deciding between City or Brunel for Economics at the moment, any insights please?
City seems higher, but I keep hearing not to trust league tables....Plus apparently City has a high failure rate for Econ, but havent seen this on any league tables?

Can't speak for Brunel but City (due its location & reputation) has great links with many investment banks, making it easier to get internships etc
Reply 66
Original post by Metrododo
The only rankings that actually matter (if at all) are the international ones

Are you sure? How is, for example, citations/faculty which carries a 20% weighting on QS relevant to an undergrad? On top of a 40% weighting for "academic reputation" which is a similar factor anyway.
Surrey is my insurance lol, what's it doing in 4th?

(Physics, Warwick is firm)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Are you sure? How is, for example, citations/faculty which carries a 20% weighting on QS relevant to an undergrad? On top of a 40% weighting for "academic reputation" which is a similar factor anyway.

Although I hope I will have good lecturers (which they seem to be according to friends in the year above, plus 90+ student satisfaction for my course allegedly) - I care much more about the actual prestige of the Uni and consequently the intrinsic links it has with various industries to help obtain certain graduate jobs.

Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience. Quite frankly, I find that having 3/8 of the criteria for the Guardian rankings being directly linked to satisfaction quite risible - it's an important factor, yes, but it should only be 1/8. Furthermore, most of the academic literature is already available in various papers, textbooks, etc. either online or at the Universities' respective libraries, so a lot of the actual preparation is what you make of it anyway :smile:
Original post by rosemondtan
You must be really bad at interpreting what people say because I mentioned NOTHING about prestige. Stop twisting my words. I am in AS, I'm applying this year and I'm an international student so I'm unfamiliar with other less (quoting you) "PRESTIGIOUS" universities. If you get so butthurt over something I wasn't even implying well.....good on you. I said NOT to follow league tables in general because they're biased. Learn to read every detail into what someone says before jumping to a conclusion. Also, switching to personal attacks? Typical. I've seen that before.

You fam, are on FIRE. :angry:
Reply 70
Although I hope I will have good lecturers (which they seem to be according to friends in the year above, plus 90+ student satisfaction for my course allegedly) - I care much more about the actual prestige of the Uni and consequently the intrinsic links it has with various industries to help obtain certain graduate jobs.

Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience. Quite frankly, I find that having 3/8 of the criteria for the Guardian rankings being directly linked to satisfaction quite risible - it's an important factor, yes, but it should only be 1/8. Furthermore, most of the academic literature is already available in various papers, textbooks, etc. either online or at the Universities' respective libraries, so a lot of the actual preparation is what you make of it anyway :smile:

Academic "reputation" doesn't equal links to industry. If anything, the former polys and "new" universities have amongst the very best industry links. Maybe Surrey and Lboro's well established work connections are reflected in their rankings.
Original post by KingYusHalo
You fam, are on FIRE. :angry:

sorry :frown: That was a bit brash of me, I admit.

No worries.
You are set to be a politician. Team up with George Galloway and you can rule the world.
Original post by jneill
Academic "reputation" doesn't equal links to industry. If anything, the former polys and "new" universities have amongst the very best industry links. Maybe Surrey and Lboro's well established work connections are reflected in their rankings.

Such as? And indeed they clearly have a high percentage of grad jobs after 6 months, but are these jobs necessarily as competitive as those obtained by peers at Imperial, LSE, Warwick, UCL, or even KCL? If anything these rankings are mostly a reflection of who's happy at University - hence the abysmal ranking for KCL

Citations/faculty etc may indeed be less directly useful to an undergrad, but having professors that are the top of the field could prove to be a much more enriching experience.

I wonder. From experience, how this bears on the undergraduate experience is often that "this module is unavailable in 15/16 as Professor Fancypants has a Leverhulme research grant/is spending a sabbatical year at UC Berkeley".

Oh you didn't respond to my previous comment that has received thumbs up from people agreeing with me? Didn't think so, don't be quick to jump down people's throats in future if you can't hold your own hun
Reply 76
Original post by cambio wechsel
I wonder. From experience, how this bears on the undergraduate experience is often that "this module is unavailable in 15/16 as Professor Fancypants has a Leverhulme research grant/is spending a sabbatical year at UC Berkeley".

Or is on top of a mountain filming for the BBC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stevey396
What a load of ********. Surrey, Loughborough and Lancaster at least 20 places too high. How LSE and UCL can be regarded as being below somewhere like Lancaster is outrageous.

Lancaster has consistently been ranked highly for a few years now so it's no surprise. The Complete University Guide also ranked them above UCL and in the top 10.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Fair enough. After all, I hear the Yale prof's are equally keen to visit Surrey :wink:
St Andrews is 3rd??? Surrey and Loughborough are 4th?! Lancaster is 8th?!?!?!?!?! You must be kidding me please don't follow league tables guys it's a load of marketing and bias.

And the Russell Group isn't about marketing and bias? Yes the Guardian shouldn't be followed, but students should make their minds up when they go visit universities. All types of prestigious groups and league tables should be abolished so each university can compete for students with each other, and gain a reputation in the academic world and not by being part of a group which is no longer accurate or being a 'top 10' according to the Guardian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending