The Student Room Group

How does UMS work?

I am aware that for example in Edexcel GCSE Biology there are UMS. For last year's grade boundaries a 51/60 marks meant a UMS of 72- grade A*. I am just wondering does the UMS move up or down depending on your marks or does it stay the same? For example if I were to get like 55/60 would the UMS be higher or stay as 72 UMS? I'm so confused!!!
Reply 1
Original post by Carolbaka
I am aware that for example in Edexcel GCSE Biology there are UMS. For last year's grade boundaries a 51/60 marks meant a UMS of 72- grade A*. I am just wondering does the UMS move up or down depending on your marks or does it stay the same? For example if I were to get like 55/60 would the UMS be higher or stay as 72 UMS? I'm so confused!!!

The UMS marks needed for a grade are fixed - 72/80 will always be the bottom of an A* - but as some papers are harder than others the conversion from raw to UMS marks varies with each paper. You might need 50/60 for an A* one year but 54/60 another. In another subject you might only need 48/60.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
The UMS marks needed for a grade are fixed - 72/80 will always be the bottom of an A* - but as some papers are harder than others the conversion from raw to UMS marks varies with each paper. You might need 50/60 for an A* one year but 54/60 another. In another subject you might only need 48/60.

Thank you so much! One more question, if i was to get max marks would the UMS become 80? Or still be 72?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Carolbaka
Thank you so much! One more question, if i was to get max marks would the UMS become 80? Or still be 72?

80. 72 is the bottom of an A*, but all the marks up to 80 are possible. You normally don't have to achieve full raw marks to get full UMS (as so very few people get full raw marks).

Quick Reply

Latest