The Student Room Group

AS Bio - Can someone explain what a phosphodiester bond is?

Can someone please explain what a phosphodiester bond is. Is it when two nucleotides join together by a condensation reaction which forms the 'phosphodiester bond'?
Original post by Philip-flop
Can someone please explain what a phosphodiester bond is. Is it when two nucleotides join together by a condensation reaction which forms the 'phosphodiester bond'?

It's found in DNA and consists of a phosphate group and two ester bonds. It's what links the sugar-phosphate backbone togetherPhoto on 23-05-2016 at 15.47.jpg

It is a type of covalent bond, between a phosphate group and a hydroxyl group.

In terms of DNA/RNA which is what I'm assuming you are looking at, it is the bond formed when the phosphate group of one nucleotide joins to the hydroxyl group of another and yes it is a type of condensation reaction.
Original post by studyblr_
It's found in DNA and consists of a phosphate group and two ester bonds. It's what links the sugar-phosphate backbone togetherPhoto on 23-05-2016 at 15.47.jpg

Thank you!! Am I silly? I thought that ester bonds only happen with triglycerides when a carbon molecule from the fatty acid bonds with a oxygen from the glycerol molecule via a condensation reaction.
Is it not suppose to be a pentose sugar? :s-smilie:
Thank you!! Am I silly? I thought that ester bonds only happen with triglycerides when a carbon molecule from the fatty acid bonds with a oxygen from the glycerol molecule via a condensation reaction.
Nope, I also used to think that too. :tongue:
Anyone here know what the 'Chi-Squared test' is?
Anyone here know what the 'Chi-Squared test' is?
Chi-square test looks at differences in frequences beteen groups. This is the formula for Chi-square:(I believe if you do get asked to work this out, the formula will be given). what exam board are you doing? As far as I'm are we don't need to know this... do we?
Original post by RedRosesBloom
Chi-square test looks at differences in frequences beteen groups. This is the formula for Chi-square:(I believe if you do get asked to work this out, the formula will be given). what exam board are you doing? As far as I'm are we don't need to know this... do we?

I'm doing the Edexcel new 2015 spec. I don't have a teacher so am completely unaware of what "Math Skills" we need :frown:

Can you tell me all the tips your teacher gave you for this exam? I'm in desperate need for help :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing the Edexcel new 2015 spec. I don't have a teacher so am completely unaware of what "Math Skills" we need :frown:
Oh ok, I'm not doing the Edexcel exam board so I wouldn't know. Have you looked at their specification? It may state whether you need to know it, if not then I would assume not, unless you've seen questions on this and it has come up. :h:

That is a very dubious looking bit of DNA
5 years late but whys it dubious?
Original post by TheGamingTotoro
5 years late but whys it dubious?

Hexagonal ribose

Quick Reply

Latest