The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] OCR MEI AS Mathematics 2016 (C1, C2 & S1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tizzaclaire98
Definitley!
I'm doing S1 next year along with C4 (This year I'm doing C1,2,3 and M1)

My school is forcing us to do up to M3 next year.... I'm going to cry :burnout:
Original post by ellabailey2701
For cumulative frequency graphs and histograms do we need to work out upper and lower class boundaries? I've not been taught to do this but its in my revision guide.

For cumulative frequency, you always plot the upper bound of the data groups - I assume they'll give a range of grouped data so plot the upper one. For histograms you just plot the data normally I think, so if you had an X axis of 0 to 100 you'd just plot the data over the correct range - say 10 to 30, 30 - 40 etc....does that make sense?
Original post by erinls2
For cumulative frequency, you always plot the upper bound of the data groups - I assume they'll give a range of grouped data so plot the upper one. For histograms you just plot the data normally I think, so if you had an X axis of 0 to 100 you'd just plot the data over the correct range - say 10 to 30, 30 - 40 etc....does that make sense?

Yeah, thanks. I thought I'd never done boundaries with histograms haha :tongue:
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 17.46.50.png

Can someone tell me what it means by "Condone full answer of 1499.3..."
I worked out the answer on a calculator and the full answer, as shown on the calculator is 1499.3, would I lose a mark for writing the full answer?
Original post by IXxi HIIDA ixXI
Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 17.46.50.png

Can someone tell me what it means by "Condone full answer of 1499.3..."
I worked out the answer on a calculator and the full answer, as shown on the calculator is 1499.3, would I lose a mark for writing the full answer?

Condone means accept, so yeah you'll get the mark!
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow! How is everyone feeling about it? What topics do you reckon will show up?

Personally, I'm not a fan of statistics as a whole, terrible at probability questions, fingers crossed for no two-tail testing either!
i need help with linear interpolation how do you do it ? never taught in class and i think it may come up
Original post by itvvnews
i need help with linear interpolation how do you do it ? never taught in class and i think it may come up

https://youtu.be/3Na9wqhnEcY
Original post by itvvnews

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Na9wqhnEcY
Although he is using Edexcel material, the methods are still the same. :smile:
Linear Interpolation is just using to find grouped data's median. Sometimes they didn't specify it, but when you see they ask you for a median from a grouped data, just used linear interpolation.

p.s. sorry my English is a little rubbish
I thought this might be helpful for those sitting the S1 exam tomorrow
http://hleavey.site/ZfjRcU
Original post by ABeingOnEarth
I also want to know this! ?

Hey, I asked my teacher today. She said for Binomial, you round your values to 4 decimal places. And for others, you round it to 3sf, unless that there are specific values like when they are asking for how much money, you put in 2dp. Hope this make sense
Original post by ShadowHz
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Na9wqhnEcY
Although he is using Edexcel material, the methods are still the same. :smile:
Linear Interpolation is just using to find grouped data's median. Sometimes they didn't specify it, but when you see they ask you for a median from a grouped data, just used linear interpolation.

p.s. sorry my English is a little rubbish

thank you so much
Original post by Crozzer24
Just wondering on the whole do people find s1 extremely easy compared to the other applied modules? I'm surprised how low the boundaries have been for an A on s1 recently

I find it easier than M1, but harder than S2.
Reply 333
Hey you know how nPr = nCr x r!, for example 9P3 = 504 and 9C3 x 3! = 504, do you think we get penalised if we don't use whichever one is specified in their mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Delma
Hey you know how nPr = nCr x r!, for example 9P3 = 504 and 9C3 x 3! = 504, do you think we get penalised if we don't use whichever one is specified in their mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they have both methods included in the mark scheme (if i do remember)
Hi, I was never taught linear interpolation, are we supposed to have learnt it? Is it likely to come up in the exam?
Original post by ilikecheese666
Hi, I was never taught linear interpolation, are we supposed to have learnt it? Is it likely to come up in the exam?

Yes, I would say, the chances of coming up is around 60% i think. Check out the reply I did 30 min ago (it's on the same page) It teaches you how to do it.
Original post by ShadowHz
Yes, I would say, the chances of coming up is around 60% i think. Check out the reply I did 30 min ago (it's on the same page) It teaches you how to do it.

Okay thank you :smile: I didn't see it earlier
Good luck everyone!
Feeling ready for S1! :smile:
Good luck everyone x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending