The Student Room Group

I hate my body

I'm fat. I'm not obese, or even overweight (although my BMI is dangerously close) but I'm fat. I have extra fat on my stomach (mainly just my lower stomach, under my bellybutton, which makes me look slightly pregnant if I wear anything tight fitting) and I have more fat than there is on the rest of my body on my thighs. I hate my thighs, they're fat and horrible and covered in cellulite.
I'm so scared for summer, having to wear a bikini in front of people, knowing that they'll all be judging me for being 16 and fat.
I have made efforts to lose weight: I went to the gym quite often, started eating healthier, cut meat out of my diet so I'm not consuming as mych protein. I tried a detox tea but that made me so ill I had to stop after a week.
It's not just me making myself feel like this though. It's off hand comments from other people, things they don't think about but really hit me. Once, when i was about 13, my mum told me I wanted to stay below 9 stone, nd when I went over that I felt so awful about myself. My friend said the other day that holland roden wasn't skinny enough to play lydia on teen wolf, and I just looked at her and told her I was fatter than her. I was making a joke with my mum once about how my older sister was prettier than me and she asked if it was because she was skinnier than me, which quickly became when I was focussing on. My friends and i all recently got this health app that tracks how many steps you take and compares them to your friends, and we had to put our weights in, and I realises i was embarrased by my weight because I am a stone heavier than the friend that is closest to my size. I have tried to speak to my mum about how I feel before, but she's just brushed me off, told me that I looked fine.
I don't have anyone to talk to about this, since all my friends and my sister are like twigs and my mum doesn't seem to care, even though half the reason I feel this way is because of her, so that's why I'm venting on here. Sorry its so long, but I had to get it all out.
I'm so scared, because I know what these feelings can lead to, and I've had the urge to make myself throw up after a particularily calorific meal, and in year nine all I had for lunch was an apple and a bottle of water to attmpt to lose weight, while throwing my packet lunch away everyday and stashing my pocket money away. I'm worried that I might end up with serious body issues but I can't talk to anyone and don't seem to be able to lose weight, which is what I want so bad.
Please someone help me and tell me what I should to get myself out of this body-hating low I'm in.
Reply 1
Firstly, I'm sure you're not as big as you think you are. People often have a negative, inaccurate body image. Secondly, I think girls can often believe they have a big tummy, or big thighs, or wide hips, but it's just part of growing up and becoming curvy and woman-shaped. And you don't need to wear a bikini anyway, and even if you do, who cares what other people think? From the sounds of it, you've been working out and altering your diet to no effect, which means it's likely that you're genetically predisposed to be the way you are. So there's no point in comparing yourself to others. As for your sister, we're always jealous of our siblings - me, my older brother was a child prodigy and I wish I was as intelligent as him, but there we go - we have our own good qualities to be proud of. As for your Mum, maybe she doesn't realise she's hurt your feelings. Talk to her - don't let your relationship with her break down. Also, don't fall into the trap of eating disorders so you can be ridiculously skinny like models - they're not real and not healthy - don't copy them. And remember: you're beautiful the way you are. 💜😊

If you want more info and advice, try this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5Srg3zwxc8cbsCK2JKjn1pV/body-image
I feel the same way.... I'm not exactly overweight for my age(I'm also 16 and about 63kg), but I'm quite short, so I'd say I'm slightly overweight got my height. I've always been self conscious about the way I look. I hated having to change in P.E and wearing revealing clothes, finding a dress for our year 11 leavers dinner was a nightmare, and even then I didn't feel comfortable wearing it.
But I also have a medical condition, and part of it is a skin condition called Acanthosis Nigricans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthosis_nigricans). I get it in my armpits and in my groin area, under my arms it looks the photo on the link, but in my groin it is a lot darker. And recently, I've been getting it slightly in other places, under my boobs and down my tummy (where my fat rolls are!). So, this sort of makes me self conscious.... And my mum thinks that that's the reason why I refused to do swimming lessons in school and don't like wearing short sleeves. But it's not. I don't really care about my skin.... It's the fat. I'm self conscious because I'm fat.

Especially my arms, they are really big. People have commented before saying stuff like "Oooh! Looks at that muscle!" , but it's not muscle. Only a few of they boys I know actually have muscles that are as big as my arms. I hate it. The number of times I try to pull my sleeves down (when I'm wearing short sleeves), people must notice me feeling uncomfortable.

My legs... Nobody really sees anyway, because I never go swimming in public pools or anything. It's always in the sea, and if I'm with people I'll be wearing a wetsuit and sucking my tummy in until it's underwater. Another thing, it looks like I practically have no boobs, my tummy comes out nearly as far as my boobs. When I see other people who are a chunky build, yet so confident, they at least have big boobs to give the illusion that they are thinner, I don't.

I'm quite uncomfortable in my body at the moment, but I've decided that ones my exams are out the way, I'm going to try and loose a bit of weight for the summer. But will that get rid of my massive arms and fat thighs that never separate?? I doubt it. But when I'm not feeling self conciliatory, I have a VERY happy life, full of people and things that I love. And at the end of the day, what more could I ask for? Other people are a lot worse off. Let's just try to be happy with who we are, I suppose!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm fat. I'm not obese, or even overweight (although my BMI is dangerously close) but I'm fat. I have extra fat on my stomach (mainly just my lower stomach, under my bellybutton, which makes me look slightly pregnant if I wear anything tight fitting) and I have more fat than there is on the rest of my body on my thighs. I hate my thighs, they're fat and horrible and covered in cellulite.
I'm so scared for summer, having to wear a bikini in front of people, knowing that they'll all be judging me for being 16 and fat.
I have made efforts to lose weight: I went to the gym quite often, started eating healthier, cut meat out of my diet so I'm not consuming as mych protein. I tried a detox tea but that made me so ill I had to stop after a week.
It's not just me making myself feel like this though. It's off hand comments from other people, things they don't think about but really hit me. Once, when i was about 13, my mum told me I wanted to stay below 9 stone, nd when I went over that I felt so awful about myself. My friend said the other day that holland roden wasn't skinny enough to play lydia on teen wolf, and I just looked at her and told her I was fatter than her. I was making a joke with my mum once about how my older sister was prettier than me and she asked if it was because she was skinnier than me, which quickly became when I was focussing on. My friends and i all recently got this health app that tracks how many steps you take and compares them to your friends, and we had to put our weights in, and I realises i was embarrased by my weight because I am a stone heavier than the friend that is closest to my size. I have tried to speak to my mum about how I feel before, but she's just brushed me off, told me that I looked fine.
I don't have anyone to talk to about this, since all my friends and my sister are like twigs and my mum doesn't seem to care, even though half the reason I feel this way is because of her, so that's why I'm venting on here. Sorry its so long, but I had to get it all out.
I'm so scared, because I know what these feelings can lead to, and I've had the urge to make myself throw up after a particularily calorific meal, and in year nine all I had for lunch was an apple and a bottle of water to attmpt to lose weight, while throwing my packet lunch away everyday and stashing my pocket money away. I'm worried that I might end up with serious body issues but I can't talk to anyone and don't seem to be able to lose weight, which is what I want so bad.
Please someone help me and tell me what I should to get myself out of this body-hating low I'm in.

I would go on saying how wonderful your body is and how you shouldn't feel bad about it but to be honest nomatter how true that may be it isn't going to stop you thinking or feeling what you do. So i'll just skip that bit.

You can do all you like to try to improve your body but chances are even if you make amazing progress you will still find something to feel down about. And I recon your current feelings will probably be holding you back as well.

I suggest you attack this on two fronts- improve your body and your mind. It is really common for people to feel bad about their body but that doesn't make it easy. Try to find a way to feel better about it (maybe consider some counseling or therapy or look online for some self help regarding body image or self esteem).
You sound like you are having a really hard time with this and I think a chat with your doctor may help a lot. If you do decide to see them talk about both your weight and how you feel about it.
Your doctor can advise you on good healthy ways to loose weight and can also tell you where to get emotionl support or give you a referal to a psychiatrist or therapist.

Since you have already thought about making yourself sick there is an obvious concern of anorexia or other eating disorders developing. I would advise you that it is a lot easier to stop things before the develop properly than try to deal with it all alone untill it becomes too much for you. I think seeing a psychiatrist would be good for you.

Final note. Just try to remember that making yourself sick or not eating is worse for you than being fat. Try your best to remmber to treat yourself well and that although you may have aweful thought aout yourself it does not make them true.
You can do so well and make yourself proud of your body but it will take time. Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask for support. It takes a lot of strength and bravery but it can also help you achieve a good body and more importanlty a good attitude towards your body.

You may find more help regarding the thoughts and feelings side in the Mental Health section on this site. May help you feel less alone in all this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest