The Student Room Group

2016 AS physics new spec MARK SCHEME

Poll

what do you think you got out of 70

Hey guys, here is a started version of the mark scheme, credit to Uzair ALi and Carmen Chui.

lets get the rest of answers and also lets see which questions were how many marks

AQA AS Physics Paper 1 - Unofficial Mark SchemeNOTE: These are not entirely in order, and some answers may be inaccurate.

Question 1)a) In a jet engine, air enters at A and its velocity increases before leaving at B. What happens to its momentum?

The momentum increases as p = mv and the mass is constant but the velocity increases hence the momentum increases.

b) Why does air leaving the jet engine at B lead to an accelerating force on the aircraft.

Newton's 3rd law, equal force had an equal and opposite reaction force therefore it is thrusted forwards. Air moves out back, so plane moves opposite to direction of air. .

c) In one second, 210kg of air passes through the jet engine and the velocity of the air is increased by 570m/s. Work out the maximum accelerating force of the air on the jet engine.F = m x a or F = (mv)/t Force = 210 * 570 or Force = (210*570) / (1) Force = 119700 N (120000N 2s.f, or1.2x10^5)

d) When landing, the aircraft uses a deflector plate to use the air flowing through the jet engine to decelerate the aircraft. Does the momentum of the air change after the deflector plate is used?

The momentum of the air then changes because the air changes direction via the deflector plates.Momentum is a vector quantity with direction as a factor.

e) There is a decelerating force of 190kN on the aircraft which has a mass of 7x10^4Kg Work out the deceleration of the aircraft.190000 = 7x10^4 * aA = 2.714205A = -2.7m/s^2Deceleration is 2.7m/s^2f)

Assuming a constant decelerating force of 190kN, work out the distance taken for the aircraft to come to rest. The aircraft lands with a velocity of 68m/s.v^2 = u^2+2as0^2 = 68^2 + 2*-2.714205 (value of a from previous question)*sS = 851.78947s= 850m (2s.f.)

2)a) Suggest how a stationary wave can be formed in the microwave.

Microwave travels through the oven and reflects at the oven wall, superposition of 2 waves travelling in opposite directions with the same frequency creates a stationary wave. Same frequency/wavelength and same amplitude while travelling in opposite directions.

b) Wavelength = 11.8cm = 0.118mC=f(wavelength) f=c/(wavelength)=3x10^(8)/0.118=2.54x10^(9)m(If the measurement was 11.8cm. Mark scheme will probably allow 11.7 - 11.9cm)

c) Why do microwaves usually have a turntable?

Microwaves need a turntable to ensure food is heated evenly and not just at specific points of constructive interference.

(We should do the question about the long pipe probe and the diameter of the wire(P = RA/L)) length:0.5m

Calculate the total resistance of the circuitV=IR V=1.5, I=0.66 R=2.3 ohms

Define Tensile stress and strain

Stress = force applied per cross sectional area F/A

Strain = ratio of the extension to the original length (delta)L/LWhat property does

material A show?Brittle - breaks without deforming plastically

or Obeys ohms law, as force is proportional

Why are 2 protons produced in the annihilation of helium and anti helium nuclei?To conserve momentum and energy CalculSecond

Last question ) Anti Neutron -> Anti Proton + Positron(E+) + Electron neutrinod)

Which interaction is responsible for the above interaction? Weak interation
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Science_help
Hey guys, here is a started version of the mark scheme, credit to Uzair ALi and Cameran Chui.

My name is Carmen, also i added more stuff to the original document
Hey guys, here is a started version of the mark scheme, credit to Uzair ALi and Cameran Chui.

lets get the rest of answers and also lets see which questions were how many marks

AQA AS Physics Paper 1 - Unofficial Mark SchemeNOTE: These are not entirely in order, and some answers may be inaccurate.

Question 1)a) In a jet engine, air enters at A and its velocity increases before leaving at B. What happens to its momentum?

The momentum increases as p = mv and the mass is constant but the velocity increases hence the momentum increases.

b) Why does air leaving the jet engine at B lead to an accelerating force on the aircraft.

Newton's 3rd law, equal force had an equal and opposite reaction force therefore it is thrusted forwards. Air moves out back, so plane moves opposite to direction of air. .

c) In one second, 210kg of air passes through the jet engine and the velocity of the air is increased by 570m/s. Work out the maximum accelerating force of the air on the jet engine.F = m x a or F = (mv)/t Force = 210 * 570 or Force = (210*570) / (1) Force = 119700 N (120000N 2s.f, or1.2x10^5)

d) When landing, the aircraft uses a deflector plate to use the air flowing through the jet engine to decelerate the aircraft. Does the momentum of the air change after the deflector plate is used?

The momentum of the air then changes because the air changes direction via the deflector plates.Momentum is a vector quantity with direction as a factor.

e) There is a decelerating force of 190kN on the aircraft which has a mass of 7x10^4Kg Work out the deceleration of the aircraft.190000 = 7x10^4 * aA = 2.714205A = -2.7m/s^2Deceleration is 2.7m/s^2f)

Assuming a constant decelerating force of 190kN, work out the distance taken for the aircraft to come to rest. The aircraft lands with a velocity of 68m/s.v^2 = u^2+2as0^2 = 68^2 + 2*-2.714205 (value of a from previous question)*sS = 851.78947s= 850m (2s.f.)

Microwave travels through the oven and reflects at the oven wall, superposition of 2 waves travelling in opposite directions with the same frequency creates a stationary wave. Same frequency/wavelength and same amplitude while travelling in opposite directions.

b) Wavelength = 11.8cm = 0.118mC=f(wavelength) f=c/(wavelength)=3x10^(8)/0.118=2.54x10^(9)m(If the measurement was 11.8cm. Mark scheme will probably allow 11.7 - 11.9cm)

Microwaves need a turntable to ensure food is heated evenly and not just at specific points of constructive interference.

(We should do the question about the long pipe probe and the diameter of the wire(P = RA/L)) length:0.5m

Strain = ratio of the extension to the original length (delta)L/LWhat property does

Why are 2 protons produced in the annihilation of helium and anti helium nuclei?To conserve momentum and energy CalculSecond

Last question ) Anti Neutron -> Anti Proton + Positron(E+) + Electron neutrinod)

Yo nice work man i bet youre an A grade student. Excellent work. Goodluck for physics at uni. 100% respect
Reply 3
Original post by SaltandSugar
My name is Carmen, also i added more stuff to the original document

where would the originial document be found :smile:
good
Original post by Lola1244
where would the originial document be found :smile:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cjBRtaBmwyazyQyvflZgjam6dzOTlDi9quQJK1il5Po/edit

It was originally a google doc where everyone could contribute
What did anyone get for the percentage question?
Original post by not_lucas1
What did anyone get for the percentage question?

I got 2.5% lol but some people got 0.79% and 25%, apparently 25% worked if they substituted the numbers in but I'm not sure
Reply 8
Original post by SaltandSugar
I got 2.5% lol but some people got 0.79% and 25%, apparently 25% worked if they substituted the numbers in but I'm not sure

I got 0.80% to 2sf and I'm sure my methodology was right
Reply 9
For the 2876 MeV question:

=4.6016x10^10 J

E=hf

f=E/h=(4.6016x10^-10)x(6.63x10^-34)=6.94x10^23
Reply 10

Thanks for the Credit guys. Message me if you have any questions about the mark scheme or any of the questions or if we made any mistakes.
Reply 11

Some more answers:
Why is the reading of the voltmeter the same as the emf?

The voltmeter is connected in series with A and B. The voltmeter has an infinite resistance therefore no current flows through circuit. Emf is the P.D when no current is flowing through the circuit

complete the equation:
(anti)neutron --> (anti)proton + (+)Beta + Ve

The 6 mark question (may be wrong):
For elevator material B because needs to be able to withstand large amounts of force: Weight of elevator + people inside. Also shouldn't extend a lot because the calibration of doors and elevator door may change. Needs high stress and low strain
For bungee rope, needs to extend a lot to allow the momentum of the jumper to decrease over a longer period of time to reduce force that acts upon jumper. Stress is less important as the force acting on the rope will be low (only mass of 1 person) so needs high strain but doesn't need high stress. I put down D but other put down C

Photoelectric effect question: Explain why photoemission only occurs above a certain value
Talk about E = hf and hf = work function + EK where the minimum energy needed for photo emission is work function. energy of a photon is absorbed by 1 electron therefore hf must be > work function for photo emission. hf must be at least a certain value therefore f must be at least a certain value to cause photo emission.

Cant remember anymore sorry but if I am wrong on any of the questions please correct me so that I may know
Hey,

For material D, wouldnt the cord just stretch to such an extent that the person hits the ground? So it must be C?
What did people get for the stopping potential? I got 0.9v

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
This paper looks pretty easy to me. Think I would have gotten 60/70
Original post by Pra99
This paper looks pretty easy to me. Think I would have gotten 60/70

Wow step back, we got an Einstein over here
Reply 16
Original post by somerandomer654
Wow step back, we got an Einstein over here

Lol. I wasn't trying to sound clever or anything, it's just that a lot of people were making the paper sound like it was impossible
Original post by Pra99
Lol. I wasn't trying to sound clever or anything, it's just that a lot of people were making the paper sound like it was impossible

Nah, I was just kidding.

Looking back now, it wasnt too hard...But I know I did crap...just hoping boundaries are low
Original post by babyetu
For the 2876 MeV question:

=4.6016x10^10 J

E=hf

f=E/h=(4.6016x10^-10)x(6.63x10^-34)=6.94x10^23

where did it say 2876??
i got 9 times ten 23
did you convert the joules from ek max in previous question to ev?
Original post by ben_urwinator
What did people get for the stopping potential? I got 0.9v

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest