The Student Room Group

How do I revise for poetry?

My poetry exam is friday (edexcel) an i have no idea what im doing or how I should prepare.. im so busy with maths I have ignored poetry, someone please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
anthology? one question will give you the chance to write about a poem of your choice compared to another poem.
My suggestion would be to check over all of the poems to find an underlying theme amongst them all. As hard as this may be, it will be useful as you will be looking into the poems, looking for a lot more meaning which will also give you a better understanding, ready for the exam.
identify themes and different interpretations of the poems, as well as rhetorical devices etc all that bs
i got an A in english and im genuinely stupid af so you'll be calm my bro
Reply 3
Original post by cdaniels2011
anthology? one question will give you the chance to write about a poem of your choice compared to another poem.
My suggestion would be to check over all of the poems to find an underlying theme amongst them all. As hard as this may be, it will be useful as you will be looking into the poems, looking for a lot more meaning which will also give you a better understanding, ready for the exam.

thanks, do you know how i should compare to poems? do I do point like the theme or whatever, a para on explaining in one poem then explain in the next para about how the second poem displays it too??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ksj.11
My poetry exam is friday (edexcel) an i have no idea what im doing or how I should prepare.. im so busy with maths I have ignored poetry, someone please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

With english you don't really revise, you just know.
Original post by ksj.11
thanks, do you know how i should compare to poems? do I do point like the theme or whatever, a para on explaining in one poem then explain in the next para about how the second poem displays it too??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, not just similarities but differences, too
Like say for example, Sonnet 116 and My Last Duchess have different views on love - if love comes up, you'd want to explain that there are two different sides to love and support it with evidence (a quote from each poem) and getting to the poet's message, etc :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cdaniels2011
Like say for example, Sonnet 116 and My Last Duchess have different views on love - if love comes up, you'd want to explain that there are two different sides to love and support it with evidence (a quote from each poem) and getting to the poet's message, etc :smile:

So like youd do one paragraph saying how they both present love like similarities then youd do another para on how theyre different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ksj.11
So like youd do one paragraph saying how they both present love like similarities then youd do another para on how theyre different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily a paragraph, one or two sentences to explain what you mean will do.
It will structure a paragraph when you follow what your teacher tells you to do.

Point
Evidence (poem 1)
Evidence (poem 2)
What's similar about the 2 (comparing a word in the chosen quotes) IF THERE ARE ANY
What's different about the 2 (comparing a word in the chosen quotes) IF THERE ARE ANY
Alternative meanings to both quotes*(A/A*)
What the poet may be trying to say - message (Poem 1)
What the poet may be trying to say - message (Poem 2)
Effect on the reader of the poet or feelings you get from it and why
If you've got good notes already, condense them for each poem, maybe into two or three bullet points and read over them. Make sure you choose points you can elaborate on in the exam. e.g. maritime metaphors in sonnet 116 as a bullet point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending