The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] OCR MEI AS Mathematics 2016 (C1, C2 & S1)

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone clarify that the median is always n+1/2? I've watched the video posted above on linear interpolation and he took the median value as n/2
Original post by Crozzer24
Can anyone clarify that the median is always n+1/2? I've watched the video posted above on linear interpolation and he took the median value as n/2

That's how I do mine: not grouped data, median use (n+1)/2. Linear interpolation for grouped data use n/2
Reply 342
Original post by ellabailey2701
For cumulative frequency graphs and histograms do we need to work out upper and lower class boundaries? I've not been taught to do this but its in my revision guide.

For cf graphs I think we just do the upper bound and histograms we do frequency density on the y-axis
Original post by ShadowHz
Yes, I would say, the chances of coming up is around 60% i think. Check out the reply I did 30 min ago (it's on the same page) It teaches you how to do it.

Why do you think Linear interpolation will come up?
Original post by ShadowHz
That's how I do mine: not grouped data, median use (n+1)/2. Linear interpolation for grouped data use n/2

Contonuous data is just n/2 whereas Discrete data is n+1/2
Reply 345
Original post by ellabailey2701
For cumulative frequency graphs and histograms do we need to work out upper and lower class boundaries? I've not been taught to do this but its in my revision guide.

For cf graphs I think we just do the upper bound and histograms we do frequency density on the y-axis
Reply 346
Original post by hunter0raf42

What's discrete and what's continuous data?
Discrete data has gaps between them, e.g. shoe sizes e.g. size 10,11. Can't be size 10.34.
Whereas continuous scale has no gaps and its things like distance and measurements which can be 1.69Km or 6.9 inches
Original post by hunter0raf42

This is true but MEI doesn't do this. My teacher rung them up like this is what you're supposed to do, but they were just like no. They said its (n+1)/2 unless you're using a graph.
I'm so tired, for some reason I woke up at 3.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I'm so tired, for some reason I woke up at 3.

I slept at 6pm and woke up at midnight to do some revision. Are you revising for S1 now?
Original post by asmuse123
I slept at 6pm and woke up at midnight to do some revision. Are you revising for S1 now?

No lol
No lol

Oh, that's cool. You know, tonight is the night I finally figured out how to do binomial distribution! It's been a good revision session.:biggrin:

Did you find out anything when you were revising?
Original post by asmuse123
Oh, that's cool. You know, tonight is the night I finally figured out how to do binomial distribution! It's been a good revision session.:biggrin:

Did you find out anything when you were revising?

No?
No?

Well, that's cool. Just making conversation. Good luck in your exam!:biggrin:
This is true but MEI doesn't do this. My teacher rung them up like this is what you're supposed to do, but they were just like no. They said its (n+1)/2 unless you're using a graph.

Is a histogram a graph?
Original post by ilikecheese666
Is a histogram a graph?

Yes
Reply 357
What decimal places / significant figures are everyone using and for what information, this is always where I lose my marks and it sucks.. Thanks
Some rough questions that paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending