The Student Room Group

I am Transgender.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShenanigansTVLV
This isn't meant as offense but more so out of curiosity. Don't you think that "mental gender" shouldn't actually be a thing as all men and all women can think the same way or different ways anyway? For example, a man a women can think and feel the same but it doesn't mean one of them is in the wrong body and likewise if two men/two women think different ways, it doesn't mean one of them is is necessarily the wrong gender but they are just all people who are able to think differently and the same as they choose? So, do you think the whole mental side of gender is created by societal pressures and there's not really any label necessary for people who think differently as we are all humans? :smile:

The only reason Male/Female was ever used anyway was to specify physical differences and not mental ones anyway. For example, a man has a penis and a woman a vagina and they also have different chromosomes (biologically speaking).

So do you think that you aren't defined by gender as transgender but by the fact that you're human like me, like your family, like everyone else? :smile: I apologise if this is not worded greatly, I am just interested out of love and trying to gain knowledge, never of hate.

I can see where you are coming from and I agree. Scientists would argue there are differences within the brains of males and females, studies showing transgender people often having the brain of their assigned (chosen) gender. I wish that we didn't have these gender markers and gender stereotypes. Don't worry about offending me. Hope this helps expand the knowledge! :smile::smile: xxxxx
Original post by Infamous*
So you were born as a boy?

Basically yes, then some people believe that they want to be the opposite gender
Original post by lilytessamadigan
My friends have been immensely supportive excluding my former best friend who doesn't talk to me anymore. :frown: My family are more accepting than supporting but at times they can be unaccepting and it is very hurtful coming from them.

I'm sorry to hear that some of the people around you have showed their true colours so badly. Just remember, you don't need such people in your life! Hugs xx
Try to use correct pronouns, micro-expressions etc. As long as your not using incorrect pronouns on purpose, or calling me names (it, freak) I would be happy. Hope I understood your question correctly :smile: xx

Yeah you did haha. I thought there would be more than that lol, i know someone trans and a friend of mine asked our other friend who was dating him what his name used to be. She got a right death stare and was met with silence so i assumed we're not supposed to acknowledge that hes trans. I'm sure it varies from person to person but is that a normal thing we're not supposed to ask?
Original post by picklescamp
Yeah you did haha. I thought there would be more than that lol, i know someone trans and a friend of mine asked our other friend who was dating him what his name used to be. She got a right death stare and was met with silence so i assumed we're not supposed to acknowledge that hes trans. I'm sure it varies from person to person but is that a normal thing we're not supposed to ask?

Unfortunately I haven't met that many other transgender people but personally I wouldn't mind. xx
Original post by Platopus
I'm sorry to hear that some of the people around you have showed their true colours so badly. Just remember, you don't need such people in your life! Hugs xx

Aw thank you! :smile: Hugs! Xxx :smile:
My classmates on the whole have been very accepting and supportive. I would like to wear female clothes at school and use the ladies room but currently my school won't allow me to although this is something I am challenging. xx

Your school won't let you wear female clothes either, or just the bathroom thing?
Hi! I am Lily, I am a teenage girl. I'm also transgender, which I am proud of, but that doesn't define me. I'm also a fashion enthusiast, shopaholic and a wannabe makeup artist, among other things.
Feel free to ask me questions about my being transgender and my transition, or to share your own experiences.

Let me guess, you're vegan too
Original post by cbatothinkofone
Your school won't let you wear female clothes either, or just the bathroom thing?

Both :frown: xx
Original post by George69Howarth
Let me guess, you're vegan too

Noooo! I love Nandos too much! xxx
Both :frown: xx

If you're at a UK public school, I'm fairly sure that's actually illegal? The government say that a schools uniform cannot discriminate on the basis of gender (and sexual orientation, I'm not sure if that's relevant here). Taken from the Department of Educations school uniform policy, 'A school should also bear in mind the concept of “indirect” discrimination.This involves the application of a requirement, which, although applied equally toeveryone, puts certain people at a particular disadvantage because of their gender, race,sexual orientation, religion or belief or gender reassignment.' It also says 'Governors should be willing to consider reasonable requests for flexibility in the uniformpolicy for an individual pupil to accommodate particular social and cultural circumstances.'
I'm not sure if you've seen or looked into this at all, but it's pretty clear that what they're doing isn't allowed. Have you tried taking this to the Board of Governors at the school? If not a local MP? Good luck :smile:
If you're at a UK public school, I'm fairly sure that's actually illegal? The government say that a schools uniform cannot discriminate on the basis of gender (and sexual orientation, I'm not sure if that's relevant here). Taken from the Department of Educations school uniform policy, 'A school should also bear in mind the concept of “indirect” discrimination.This involves the application of a requirement, which, although applied equally toeveryone, puts certain people at a particular disadvantage because of their gender, race,sexual orientation, religion or belief or gender reassignment.' It also says 'Governors should be willing to consider reasonable requests for flexibility in the uniformpolicy for an individual pupil to accommodate particular social and cultural circumstances.'
I'm not sure if you've seen or looked into this at all, but it's pretty clear that what they're doing isn't allowed. Have you tried taking this to the Board of Governors at the school? If not a local MP? Good luck :smile:

Wow! Thank you! I will definitely be raising this with the school. It says something very similar on the equality act as well. Thank you so much! :smile::smile::smile: Xxxxxxx
Wow! Thank you! I will definitely be raising this with the school. It says something very similar on the equality act as well. Thank you so much! :smile::smile::smile: Xxxxxxx

No problem, I'm sure that the more you looked, the more you'd find in support of your case. If you want any help with it, just let me know!

The bathroom issue is a little bit more difficult. If your school is completely unwilling to let you use the female bathrooms, could you perhaps ask if they were willing to turn the disabled toilet into a unisex one? When I was Pres of my Colleges' SU, using the disabled bathroom was the only option available to transgender students who were reluctant to use their birth genders assigned toilets, which obviously was a less than ideal situation, because trans people aren't disabled. We were allowed to change the sign on the bathroom, which is only a small thing, but we were told it was actually really beneficial. Not sure if this would be any better for you, but thought it was worth the suggestion.
Doesnt it feel weird?
No problem, I'm sure that the more you looked, the more you'd find in support of your case. If you want any help with it, just let me know!

The bathroom issue is a little bit more difficult. If your school is completely unwilling to let you use the female bathrooms, could you perhaps ask if they were willing to turn the disabled toilet into a unisex one? When I was Pres of my Colleges' SU, using the disabled bathroom was the only option available to transgender students who were reluctant to use their birth genders assigned toilets, which obviously was a less than ideal situation, because trans people aren't disabled. We were allowed to change the sign on the bathroom, which is only a small thing, but we were told it was actually really beneficial. Not sure if this would be any better for you, but thought it was worth the suggestion.

I would actually love and be incredibly grateful for any help you can give me. I'm in the process of writing an email to my schools local MP and an official complaint to my school. I don't think I'd like using a disabled toilet but I'd be happy with a unisex one. Thank you so much!!!! :smile::smile: xoxoxoxox
Original post by ikhan94
Doesnt it feel weird?

Yup!! Imagine if you were stuck in the opposite genders body! :smile: xx
I would actually love and be incredibly grateful for any help you can give me. I'm in the process of writing an email to my schools local MP and an official complaint to my school. I don't think I'd like using a disabled toilet but I'd be happy with a unisex one. Thank you so much!!!! :smile::smile: xoxoxoxox

PM me and let me know what you need, and I'll try my best :smile: Yeah, I completely understand that. Hopefully theres something that can be done!

Quick Reply

Latest