The Student Room Group

FFS my brother has become a vegan!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RivalPlayer
And you're proving my thoughts on vegans. You think it's better for your health, fine. Let other people make up their own minds. They don't need you forcing your personal beliefs on to them.

What bs. Proving your point on what? Lol how am I forcing anyone to go vegan?

When your dietary choices affects others, of course people are going to try and educate you. Otherwise there would be no change.

Stop attacking the messengers, when the message is completely logical.
That you're a zealot. Look at the hostile defensive language you use. You believe you're a "messenger" sent by who? A bunch of people on YouTube? You believe that you are "correct" and anyone who doesn't share your set of beliefs is wrong and needs "educating". Your indoctrinated cult member-esque responses couldn't be better examples to add credibility to my opinions on the vegan movement.
And no, other people's dietary choices aren't affecting you directly. You can live by your vegan dietary choices while non-vegans can live by theirs. Your false sense of restriction is ridiculous.

Oh noo the person saying to not kill innocent animals is "zealot" and "cult-like".

Not supporting the torture of animals is not "correct" to you?

"Other people's dietary choices aren't affecting you" see I'm not a selfish pathetic waste of space like you, and I actually care about the other beings involved.
Original post by Adores
Most animal rights legislation applies to all sentient beings

What do you define as sentient?

And when we talk legislation are we talking UK welfare legislation? If so that tends to apply more to vertebrates. The big one being the Animal Welfare Act, doesn't apply to vertebrates or unborn animals/foetuses. Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act is the same, vertebrates only. Applies to foetuses if they'd be viable.

I mean sentient being self-aware would a hard to one to judge on a species by species basis, if we're talking intelligence and an apparent ability to solve problems, etc, I'd probably rank an Octopus higher than your average farmyard chicken, but being an invertebrate it has very little protection at the moment.
Reply 63
I'm a vegetarian who consumes dairy and I've never encountered an instance where a meat eater has suggested that I should start eating meat. A lot of vegans I've come across in life demonstrate what I'd call a cult-like attitude that I just don't see among vegetarians or meat eaters. This kind of vegan invariably tends to become increasingly obsessed with animal rights issues and as a result ends up developing the personality characteristics of a fanatical activist.

Such a person always seem to arrive at this point via the same route. They view a few YouTube videos and websites designed to induce fear and guilt, they then "convert" and proceed to spreading the same fear and guilt in order to convert other people. They tell people to watch XYZ video and quote shocking "secrets" from websites in an attempt to convert them into so-called enlightened beings.

It's never just about clean eating, living by your principles and being happy - it's also about inducing fear and guilt into anyone that doesn't follow a similar diet and share the same views. Being ethical becomes an obsession. The aura of smugness that seems to be quite common among vegans is something that I find particularly unpalatable. They always know best and assume everyone else lives in ignorance. If a non-vegan questions something or has an alternate view, they are bombarded with responses designed to stir self-doubt and guilt. I've seen how religous cults can transform people and the parallels among sections of the vegan community are remarkable.

If veganism was simply about following a diet free from animal products and being happy with life then I doubt vegans would be copping flak from non-vegans. But it never is just about that. In my experience, meat eaters and non-vegans are far less likely to tell other people what they should be eating.

You can say my name 😄
Maybe I use videos and websites as source to complete an objective arguement.

Have you ever considered that reason you dislike vegans is because you are not strong enough to resist certain foods, or even to scared to even educated yourself? I would say th guilt thing is correct, I feel incredibly guilty that animals are treated like they are nothing, it's called having a conscience.
I'm a vegetarian who consumes dairy and I've never encountered an instance where a meat eater has suggested that I should start eating meat. A lot of vegans I've come across in life demonstrate what I'd call a cult-like attitude that I just don't see among vegetarians or meat eaters. This kind of vegan invariably tends to become increasingly obsessed with animal rights issues and as a result ends up developing the personality characteristics of a fanatical activist.

Such a person always seem to arrive at this point via the same route. They view a few YouTube videos and websites designed to induce fear and guilt, they then "convert" and proceed to spreading the same fear and guilt in order to convert other people. They tell people to watch XYZ video and quote shocking "secrets" from websites in an attempt to convert them into so-called enlightened beings.

It's never just about clean eating, living by your principles and being happy - it's also about inducing fear and guilt into anyone that doesn't follow a similar diet and share the same views. Being ethical becomes an obsession. The aura of smugness that seems to be quite common among vegans is something that I find particularly unpalatable. They always know best and assume everyone else lives in ignorance. If a non-vegan questions something or has an alternate view, they are bombarded with responses designed to stir self-doubt and guilt. I've seen how religious cults can transform people and the parallels among sections of the vegan community are remarkable.

If veganism was simply about following a diet free from animal products and being happy with life then I doubt vegans would be copping flak from non-vegans. But it never is just about that. In my experience, meat eaters and non-vegans are far less likely to tell other people what they should be eating.

I eat meat, albeit I'm trying to cut down and only eat chicken currently and when I told some of my friends that immediately they went "but what about bacon?"

Yes I agree that when you watch some vegans on youtube they just rip meat eaters and stomp on their lifestyle choices. Like Freelee the banana girl, I like her informative posts but when she's ripping other youtubers it doesn't make me want to be a vegan.

I want to be vegan because I care about the planet and animals and feel like a hypocrite saying that if I don't eat a plant based diet but as a current meat eater I would never condemn someone just for eating meat. It's a lifestyle choice either way in my eyes and no one is morally better than the other, they just are living their lives different ways.

I do think that the vegan diet is better for the planet in the long run and if you can be healthy and happy on one, good. But, I understand it isn't for everyone and if someone simply isn't bothered about changing their diet, there's no point condemning them for it.
Nah, the only thing you care about is forcing your beliefs upon other people thru fear and guilt in order to boost your sense of superiority. You have nothing better to do with your life beyond listening to your YouTube and PETA overlords and spreading the "message" like an obedient dog.
When it doesn't work you become angry and resort to aggression and insults. It's always the same with people like you - think like me or you're against me - just like a religious fanatic.

"Force your message" how am I forcing anyone, by saying it's better for your health and planet, on the fckn internet.

"Boost your sense of superiority" Why do you keep saying that? You're the one who feels superior, thinking its correct to torture animals.

"You have nothing better to do with your life beyond listening to your YouTube and PETA overlords and spreading the "message" like an obedient dog." You don't know me. No one forced me to go vegan, I did my own research. I'm not doing it for any person. You're the sheep following the cultural norm because you're too pathetic to change.

"When it doesn't work you become angry and resort to aggression and insults. It's always the same with people like you - think like me or you're against me - just like a religious fanatic." You literally insulted me first, now you are crying like a little baby. What a terrible thing saying to stop eating animals..

You hate vegans because they show you the truth. Yes the truth.
Largest contributor to rainforest deforestation, is a fact.
Largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, is a fact.
Largest contributor to species extinction, is a fact.
Hundreds of billions of innocent animals are killed every year, is a fact.
You bash vegans to try and justify your illogical and cruel behaviour.
Holy snap! 72 posts, I didnt realise there were more pages to this thread, even though I kept getting notifications I couldnt find them. I did not want to create an argument/debate :/
on a totally neutral level, why are we fighting about this? It's more mature to have a discussion than an argument where people are just attacking eachother and swearing :P
I'm not a vegan myself, but I think it's a good idea because it's more sustainable, and shown to be better for you. Apparently vegans that do veganism right (eg including nuts and pulses etc) live longer than people who eat meat. What's wrong with people wanting to do that? I'm in favour of it. It's just not ideal when some individuals come across aggressive about their views :/ guilt tripping usually winds people up but it seems a common (though largely unsuccessful) tactic :P
My brother has too recently! Proper annoying... will see how long it lasts.
tbh, can't your brother just cook for himself?? or maybe just reduce consumption of animal products :P
Original post by Mumford & Dragons
No idea where to start!!! So angry and annoyed yet understanding at the same time! My brother has become a vegan...not over a few weeks..overnight literally!!!! like...WTF!

Ok so here goes my rant about my brother becoming a vegan

Firstly, he randomly said to us out of the blue, 'I'm a Vegan'. We thought he was joking at first but he really has become one. We wanted to know why, what did he watch as thats pretty much the ONLY way you know of the animal cruelty going on and being 'raped' of their milk.etc..blah blah blah I am no expert. He said me watched some video with Paul McCartney and some Vegan god whos bald and preaches to everyone, which I also watched but it did not change my mind at all. I KNOW that animal cruelty goes on but I am not going to change. It has not affected my psychologically in any way. I ENJOY eating meat, eggs, honey, eggs, butter. The only way for animal cruelty to stop is if 50% of Earths population were against killing and raping animals. But its not, so why the f!*k are there, from online statistics, 2.5 million vegans out of like 7billion and thers no HUGE change? What EXACTLY are they doing to change it all? Apart from the fact that its unhealthy if you dont do it right, or dont have the right healthy body to then cut out ALL meat, dairy etc.

And dont even get me STARTED on meal times and how it pisses off the whole family everytime we decide what to eat.. At one point, the whole family were 'trying' to go vegan, but they couldn't as its so hard to cut out meat etc, but my brother has carried on. All he eats is potatoes and vegetables (exaggerating slightly). Its stressful for my mum who pretty much has to buy 2 meals, meat and double the amount of veg, then theres silly almond milk, this vegan cheese, like shes going to be buying that **** every week from God knows-where!!! Then theres preparing and cooking for 2 meals as well. And seeing as we are Greek, its a sin to become a vegan and cut out 'MEAT', (joke joke), but I saw the funny side of it as all Greeks eat meat pretty much!

I just had to share my story on here, I know for a fact I have insulted some vegans so apologies but I had to get my rant out. This is the only place I could talk about it. If anyone has had the same sort of experience, please share and tell me..is there light at the end of the tunnel? Is it just a phase? Any serious medical tests that should happen before become a vegan (even though he is already one)

Show him this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfa8S2ETogo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8 This is such an ironic video but it's kinda funny :') it obviously doesn't represent all vegans but there you go :P
Reply 72
You seem to think that you know me personally when you don't. Do you always presume someone isn't educated when they simply don't share the same views as you? So you resist certain foods? Your use of the word "resist" suggests that you secretly want to consume foods that your vegan diet forbids.

Yet you can put that terrible guilt to one side when you're using unethically produced consumer electronics or wearing clothes made using third world slave labour. So what if you received your electronics as gifts? You're choosing to use them to enhance your life. Why don't you get rid of them along with the clothes you wear? You're using and enjoying products of human suffering and exploitation yet you casually turn a blind eye and put any feelings of guilt on the back burner when your needs come first.

Going by your way of thinking, I could say that your continued utilization of unethically produced electronics and clothes means you don't have a conscience either. The world isn't as black and white as you seem to see it. Maybe you'll start to realise that as you grow up.

Funny that you also seem to think you know me personally, stop assuming I don't care about other issues.
Your argument of consumerism and ethnics is futile, you too are guilty of it so I don't see why you can use it against me. It's hypocritical.

And why should it matter if I resisted non-vegan foods? I wasn't raised vegetarian or vegan. I grew up in a household which believes eating meat is healthy and ethical. But this does not mean I will cave in and go and eat a pizza. It doesn't take much to resist food, especially when you know about the industries.
Holy snap! 72 posts, I didnt realise there were more pages to this thread, even though I kept getting notifications I couldnt find them. I did not want to create an argument/debate :/

vegans are sensitive bruh

also your first post came across a bit aggressive towards your brother's views

IMO it would be easier to understand and support your brother than anything else

Spoiler

Give him some cheese and onion crisps, then reveal the link below to him after he's eaten it.

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/14-surprising-foods-that-contain-animal-products

Watch him squeal.
No idea where to start!!! So angry and annoyed yet understanding at the same time! My brother has become a vegan...not over a few weeks..overnight literally!!!! like...WTF!

Ok so here goes my rant about my brother becoming a vegan

Firstly, he randomly said to us out of the blue, 'I'm a Vegan'. We thought he was joking at first but he really has become one. We wanted to know why, what did he watch as thats pretty much the ONLY way you know of the animal cruelty going on and being 'raped' of their milk.etc..blah blah blah I am no expert. He said me watched some video with Paul McCartney and some Vegan god whos bald and preaches to everyone, which I also watched but it did not change my mind at all. I KNOW that animal cruelty goes on but I am not going to change. It has not affected my psychologically in any way. I ENJOY eating meat, eggs, honey, eggs, butter. The only way for animal cruelty to stop is if 50% of Earths population were against killing and raping animals. But its not, so why the f!*k are there, from online statistics, 2.5 million vegans out of like 7billion and thers no HUGE change? What EXACTLY are they doing to change it all? Apart from the fact that its unhealthy if you dont do it right, or dont have the right healthy body to then cut out ALL meat, dairy etc.

And dont even get me STARTED on meal times and how it pisses off the whole family everytime we decide what to eat.. At one point, the whole family were 'trying' to go vegan, but they couldn't as its so hard to cut out meat etc, but my brother has carried on. All he eats is potatoes and vegetables (exaggerating slightly). Its stressful for my mum who pretty much has to buy 2 meals, meat and double the amount of veg, then theres silly almond milk, this vegan cheese, like shes going to be buying that **** every week from God knows-where!!! Then theres preparing and cooking for 2 meals as well. And seeing as we are Greek, its a sin to become a vegan and cut out 'MEAT', (joke joke), but I saw the funny side of it as all Greeks eat meat pretty much!

I just had to share my story on here, I know for a fact I have insulted some vegans so apologies but I had to get my rant out. This is the only place I could talk about it. If anyone has had the same sort of experience, please share and tell me..is there light at the end of the tunnel? Is it just a phase? Any serious medical tests that should happen before become a vegan (even though he is already one)

You should be soooo annoyed at your brother for trying to save the animals and planet as well as building compassion and love for all living beings...

gawd, he is so self centred :wink::biggrin:
I'm thinking of being vegan.

I just wonder whether you can really be as healthy/strong/fast as a vegan.
we briefly had a few vegans in my family and it was so annoying and difficult to manage. There's not much you can do about it sadly but if he's insistent on it he should have to buy his own special food and make it himself. If he wants to eat differently to what is being provided then it's his choice. Hopefully he'll realize how expensive and time consuming it is and change back. It's not your family's business to suddenly cater for his new diet.
Reply 78
Original post by King Scorchy
I'm thinking of being vegan.

I just wonder whether you can really be as healthy/strong/fast as a vegan.

As long as you do enough research and do it right, I'm sure you'll be healthier, stronger and faster on a plant based diet. Check out these vegan bodybuilders on YT: Brian Turner, Vegan Physique, Jon Venus. Good luck!
Reply 79

It's never just about clean eating, living by your principles and being happy - it's also about inducing fear and guilt into anyone that doesn't follow a similar diet and share the same views. Being ethical becomes an obsession. The aura of smugness that seems to be quite common among vegans is something that I find particularly unpalatable. They always know best and assume everyone else lives in ignorance. If a non-vegan questions something or has an alternate view, they are bombarded with responses designed to stir self-doubt and guilt. I've seen how religous cults can transform people and the parallels among sections of the vegan community are remarkable.

This is a good explanation of the problem with some vegans, perhaps it's just a minority, but it's certainly a vocal section of the community. I have nothing against vegans, and if anything after watching the more positive videos about veganism on youtube (of which there are plenty), I may even consider myself going vegan at some point in the future.

But obviously in looking up veganism on youtube, it's hard to escape the more problematic and fanatical elements of veganism that in my mind are actually detrimental to veganism and are putting people off the idea of going vegan. And one obvious (if extreme) example is Freelee the banana girl on youtube. A woman who once posted a video literally titled WHY I am SUPERIOR to you, in another video questioned whether meat eaters deserve to be alive and has various videos in which she mocks and demonises popular youtubers for just making a chicken sandwich or using butter. If she was like the Westboro Baptist Church and only had a few followers then you could just dismiss her as not important and not representative of veganism as a whole, but she has 713,000 subscribers on youtube. A quote from the description in her latest video sums up her mindset -

Do animals care what approach we take to spreading the vegan message?

It's again those parallels with religious fanaticism if you substitute the words 'animals' and 'vegan' with 'God', a fanaticism that leads people into a mindset that the ends justify the means, using the fact they're vegan as an excuse for their actions and it's a slippery slope. It's a level of fanaticism and obsession with the cause that can manifest itself into something more ugly, in some cases (e.g. animal rights activists) even lead a person to think their cause makes them above the law and that their cause is so good and moral that it justifies their actions. Only in rare cases, yes, I'm not suggesting vegans are all going to turn into criminals or anything crazy like that, just that this level of fanaticism can be dangerous and is what reinforces these negative views of vegans and veganism as a whole, ironically perhaps being more detrimental, than beneficial to the cause.

Again, before anyone attacks me for 'justifying torture' or hating vegans, I don't at all hate vegans and would never try to justify eating meat from an animal that had been maltreated and I would consider going vegetarian or vegan myself. But if I did I would do it for the right reasons and not let myself fall into the trap of judging those who didn't share the same views and lifestyle as me. It doesn't matter how right or moral being vegan is, it doesn't excuse being a dick and doesn't mean you're somehow superior to non-vegans.

Quick Reply

Latest