The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

What's it like living in Mile End?

Just wondering if anyone can let me know what Mile End is like?
Am moving there in September.
Are there decent bars/pubs/restaurants etc or do you have to go further afield?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hi there,

I've never lived in Mile End but I've been at QMUL for two years now so spend a lot of my time in and around the area. Mile End is already a well established location for food, pubs and bars. There are several very good restaurants in Mile End from high-end establishments to chains (Nandos for example). There are many pubs and bars which are great for an evening out. If you choose to go further afield, it is very easy to do so and with the introduction of the 24 hour Central Line, getting to and from Mile End at night will be even easier.

I hope this helps,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by gastin
Just wondering if anyone can let me know what Mile End is like?
Am moving there in September.
Are there decent bars/pubs/restaurants etc or do you have to go further afield?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

It partly depends what you mean by 'decent' - there's a Nandos just between Mile End tube and the main campus, there are some local Indian and Italian places (all basically average but OK and not too pricey) along the main road and that's about it.

Pubs are a bit of a mix, there are a few offering lunches not too far away. There's a dirty burger place near Whitechapel and a Costa and Starbucks near Mile End tube.

If you want more variety, depending on your food interests, you really have to head to Whitechapel (about 15mins walk) or better, Shoreditch / Brick Lane / Bethnal Green - all about 25mins walk or about quarter of an hour by tube/overground with one change.

Central London of course has thousands of eating places but is a bit of a drag from the campus, it's about minimum 40mins whichever route you take from the campus to the central stops on the tube.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending