The Student Room Group

Can I go to uni to do maths without A-levels?

in 2014-2015 i did as and completely failed the year so i decided to drop out and do something else but now ive realised a bit to late that it was the wrond decision and regret my choice. i want to go to uni and study maths but dont have any alevels anyone know a way i can still get in?
Original post by Rion64
in 2014-2015 i did as and completely failed the year so i decided to drop out and do something else but now ive realised a bit to late that it was the wrond decision and regret my choice. i want to go to uni and study maths but dont have any alevels anyone know a way i can still get in?

Do a levels again?
Original post by Rion64

You could always look into the possibility of access courses :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ayaz789
Do a levels again?

im now 18 turning 19 in dec can i still go back and do alevels?
Original post by Rion64
im now 18 turning 19 in dec can i still go back and do alevels?

External candidate? And yes , im sure you can!
Go back and do your further education again, or look into foundation courses at university. It probably goes without saying, but remember that university-level mathematics is a lot harder than AS and A-level - so work hard! :smile:
Original post by Rion64
in 2014-2015 i want to go to uni and study maths but dont have any alevels anyone know a way i can still get in?

Perhaps apply for a foundation year, where you do one year of A level maths equivalent, then join the main course after that year. Some unis require people who have low A-levels in maths, however others don't necessarily require it, normally targeted at mature students, but I don't see any reason why they can't let you in. Provided you do well in your course, I know it's hard and it sucks b*lls. I wanted to do physics and maths but got a C at GCSE maths so I couldn't do it at A Level. I'm stuck with English and I hate it, but I'm getting okay results. I applied for a foundation year in physics and I got an unconditional. Just look at universities on the UCAS search website. But be sure that Maths is definitely what you want.
Original post by Fleuryette
Perhaps apply for a foundation year, where you do one year of A level maths equivalent, then join the main course after that year. Some unis require people who have low A-levels in maths, however others don't necessarily require it, normally targeted at mature students, but I don't see any reason why they can't let you in. Provided you do well in your course, I know it's hard and it sucks b*lls. I wanted to do physics and maths but got a C at GCSE maths so I couldn't do it at A Level. I'm stuck with English and I hate it, but I'm getting okay results. I applied for a foundation year in physics and I got an unconditional. Just look at universities on the UCAS search website. But be sure that Maths is definitely what you want.

Where do you have your unconditional offer? And what were the entry requirements? Have you done much additional maths and physics work since your GCSEs?
Enter for A-level exams as a private candidate, there's no coursework so you can just buy the books and teach yourself. I recommend maths, further maths and one other a-level. There's loads of material online to help with maths such as ExamSolutions and people on this forum will offer help.

If you can't pass the a-level you won't pass the degree, this would be the most direct method and would allow you to apply to good universities.

Quick Reply

Latest