The Student Room Group

Extreme money complications

So money is becoming a bit of an issue with student finance funding running low at the minute and being out of a job. I have a holiday in a week and have to pay my another months rent as well, which will bounce since i'm already heavily into my over draft. So I'm looking for a job and currently trying to set up a new bank account with an over draft to fund the next couple of months after my holiday and help cover the rent, not to mention the £500 deposit i need to put down on my house. Any suggestions of student bank accounts i could possibly set up or the best banks you consider? Any tips would be appreciated
Original post by Stef95
So money is becoming a bit of an issue with student finance funding running low at the minute and being out of a job. I have a holiday in a week and have to pay my another months rent as well, which will bounce since i'm already heavily into my over draft. So I'm looking for a job and currently trying to set up a new bank account with an over draft to fund the next couple of months after my holiday and help cover the rent, not to mention the £500 deposit i need to put down on my house. Any suggestions of student bank accounts i could possibly set up or the best banks you consider? Any tips would be appreciated

Do you already have one student bank account?
Santander , but you need to be putting £500 a term in and using the account.
Nat West or RBS both require £750 every six months.

All the others prevent it.
Overdrafts are not guaranteed.

If you are going on holiday when already in debt then you need to be carefyl you arent pushing yourself to financial meltdown.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Do you already have one student bank account?

I already have a student bank account with lloyds and a £1500 over draft with them. I set up that over draft due to my extortionate rent.
Original post by Stef95
I already have a student bank account with lloyds and a £1500 over draft with them. I set up that over draft due to my extortionate rent.

Ask lloyds for your 2nd year extension on your overdraft early, that would get you £500,lloyds t&cs don't allow you for having student accounts with other banks.
Reply 5
Ask lloyds for your 2nd year extension on your overdraft early, that would get you £500,lloyds t&cs don't allow you for having student accounts with other banks.

In september i'll be going into 3rd year, and already have an overdraft of £1500. You think they'd willingly upgrade that another £500 early if i asked?
Original post by Stef95
In september i'll be going into 3rd year, and already have an overdraft of £1500. You think they'd willingly upgrade that another £500 early if i asked?

They did it early for both me and my boyfriend it worth asking, depending on your credit rating you might be able to get their student credit card so that would give you £500 interest free for 2 calendar months if you re absolutely stuck.
Reply 7
They did it early for both me and my boyfriend it worth asking, depending on your credit rating you might be able to get their student credit card so that would give you £500 interest free for 2 calendar months if you re absolutely stuck.

On the phone to them now, doesn't sounds probable from the way she's speaking! Thank you very much though!
Original post by Stef95
On the phone to them now, doesn't sounds probable from the way she's speaking! Thank you very much though!

Phone banking aren't the best so double check in branch just in case.
Reply 9
Phone banking aren't the best so double check in branch just in case.

She said Lloyds will only go to £1500 overdraft for 2nd years so wouldn't increase it, i might go in and check.
Original post by Stef95
She said Lloyds will only go to £1500 overdraft for 2nd years so wouldn't increase it, i might go in and check.

Yeah go speak to them in person as phone banking have occasionally told me the wrong thing.
Reply 11
Yeah go speak to them in person as phone banking have occasionally told me the wrong thing.

Thank you so much for your help, if i need anything else i'll write on this thread because you've been helpful. Cheers, have a nice day :smile:
Original post by Stef95
Thank you so much for your help, if i need anything else i'll write on this thread because you've been helpful. Cheers, have a nice day :smile:

You too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending