The Student Room Group

AQA AS Core 2 maths unofficial MARK SCHEME (25/05/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kayleigh216
What did everyone get for the 16+9sin^2(x)/5-3cosx

Personally I used the identity that Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1, rearranged to sub in 1-Cos^2(x) for Sin^2(x) then split the fraction to get (16+9)/5 + -9Cos^2(x)/-3Cosx, which worked out as 5 +3Cosx. Not entirely sure if thats right or not though
Reply 41
Original post by voltz
So noone else got 10.7 as the perimeter? I got 4.12 as the value of r??

Im pretty sure the perimeter was like 13.6?? I cant remember and r was either 3.something i think
Reply 42
Original post by AdamSd
I think b) was (0.2)^x = 4. Use logs to find out x to 3 sign fig

Yeah that sounds about right :smile:
Original post by Chisom99
wasn't the question (2-x)^7

If it was (2-x)^7 then the coefficient of x^10 wont be -1648, and most people got -1648.
Original post by Rager6amer
2) a) sketch y = (0.2)^x [2] (negative gradient where the y value decreases exponentially as x increases, with y-intercept at 1 and x-axis being the curve's asymptote)

b) something about solving a log question e.g. (0.2)^x = 8 ? so log that to get x and provide answer to 3sf [3?]

c) transformation that maps the graph y =(0.2)^x onto y = (5)^x [1] answer: y = (1/5)^x there fore replace x with -x to get y = (5)^x so therefore transformation is reflection in y axis.

b was (0.2)^x = 4 !
Reply 45
Im pretty sure the perimeter was like 13.6?? I cant remember and r was either 3.something i think

Yeah I think im wrong a lot of people got 13...hopefully I will get atleast 1 mark for some sort of working out
anyone remember what they got for the tan graphs ? i got 129 degress and 309 degrees
Reply 47
Original post by voltz
Yeah I think im wrong a lot of people got 13...hopefully I will get atleast 1 mark for some sort of working out

6 marks will carry at least 2 to 3 method marks so as long as you wrote down the steps you should be ok :smile:
Reply 48
6 marks will carry at least 2 to 3 method marks so as long as you wrote down the steps you should be ok :smile:

I think I equaled the formula for area of a sector to half the area of the triangle or something... does this sound along the right lines?
Reply 49
Original post by voltz
I think I equaled the formula for area of a sector to half the area of the triangle or something... does this sound along the right lines?

Yeah that sounds right :smile:
Reply 50
Yeah that sounds right :smile:

Thats okay then, and what did you get for the question asking to find the sum from 4 to 12?
Urrrmm, i somehow got a=10 for question one, the integration question, and it seems i was way off. Really not sure what i did. Does anyone remember the actually question and how many marks it was worth? Thank you
Original post by LordCommander
Personally I used the identity that Sin^2(x) + Cos^2(x) = 1, rearranged to sub in 1-Cos^2(x) for Sin^2(x) then split the fraction to get (16+9)/5 + -9Cos^2(x)/-3Cosx, which worked out as 5 +3Cosx. Not entirely sure if thats right or not though

That's what I got but then I couldn't get an answer for cos^-1= 5/3
Original post by voltz
Thats okay then, and what did you get for the question asking to find the sum from 4 to 12?

Yes I'd like to know this too because i got 72 but am beginning to think that was wrong. I'm so confused, i found this paper rather difficult.

Wait, was it from 4 to 12?? I'm sure i remember from 4-21??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BlackthornRose
Yes I'd like to know this too because i got 72 but am beginning to think that was wrong. I'm so confused, i found this paper rather difficult.

Wait, was it from 4 to 12?? I'm sure i remember from 4-21??

I got 90
Original post by Kayleigh216
I got 90

Yeah it seems everyone did.....I don't know what i did wrong, it looks like i forgot to add on 28 or something?
Reply 56
Original post by BlackthornRose
Yeah it seems everyone did.....I don't know what i did wrong, it looks like i forgot to add on 28 or something?

I got 88 - looks like I messed up
Original post by voltz
I got 88 - looks like I messed up

You and I both then, you and I both. Except, I also messed up on tons of other questions.....I don't even wanna think about it.
Original post by timothygrealish
I have contracted AIDS from that paper

I think everyone did 😂
Original post by rosieivison
what did people get for the transformation onto y=3√x^2+1? I'm not sure if that was the question asked correct me if I'm wrong??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Convert 3 to sqrt(9) and multiply by sqrt((x^2)+1) (surd rules)

= sqrt(9((x^2)+1))
= sqrt(9(x^2) + 9)
= sqrt((3x)^2 + 9)

therefore going from f(x) to f(3x) => stretch s.f. 1/3 parallell to x axis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending