The Student Room Group

Where does the idea that Man Utd are the biggest club in the world come from?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wilfred Little
More prestige in Europe, yes.

But Chelsea have twice as many major European trophies as Forest
Original post by difeo
But Chelsea have twice as many major European trophies as Forest

So what? They are major honours but not as prestigious as the European Cup. The Europa League is the second division of Europe and the CWC doesn't exist any more.

Forest have won the holy grail twice. Chelsea would swap their CWC and EL for what Forest have.
Reply 22
So what? They are major honours but not as prestigious as the European Cup. The Europa League is the second division of Europe and the CWC doesn't exist any more.

Forest have won the holy grail twice. Chelsea would swap their CWC and EL for what Forest have.

They're obviously worth less but don't play them down too much, you were just asking for a list where they're worth the same as the CL.

The CL is more prestigious than the European Cup (better teams), more recent wins count for more, and reaching the latter stages but not winning still contributes. All of that means Chelsea easily have more European prestige.
Reply 23
Original post by Dirtybit

I won't complain about Liverpool being the 5th best club in the world :wink:
Original post by Jimmy Seville
The whole 'playing the Man United way' their fans bleat on about is the most pretentious and pathetic thing in football tbh.

That coming from Jimmy Saville
Original post by James.Carnell
They have not won the most European Cups/CL... Liverpool have won several more even within the British Isles

Bayern, Real Madrid, Barca... all bigger for various reasons in the present day. The only way you'd say that Man Utd are comparable is the tonnes of mindless fans abroad.

I even think AC Milan are a bigger club... they've won 7 European Cups... That is more than twice the amount Utd have won.

They have been the most dominant club within the British Isles domestically but to most journos that must mean the whole world... righttt... It's the usual delusional media drivel that fools us into thinking we are still dominant on the world stage in club football.

They arent, but they are one of the biggest.
The Forbes list and the Deloitte reports are the recognised rankings of which club is the biggest in commercial terms. It's about money, just like other businesses.

United are third at the moment, but theres a chance with the new TV deal they could go top according to Deloittes.

Manchester United, who failed to qualify for either Champions League or Europa League last season, slipped from second to third following a year-on-year drop in revenue.
However, Deloitte said their "strong commercial growth" and "ability to agree impressive new sponsorship deals", such as the £75m-a-year Adidas kit agreement, compensated for a lack of European football.
With the new £5.1bn television rights deal starting from 2016-17 season, Real Madrid would come "under increasing pressure" next season and in future years, added Deloitte.
The wealth of the Premier League - mainly due to strong broadcasting deals - means 17 Premier League clubs feature in the top 30.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35359350
Original post by Redflag99
That coming from Jimmy Saville

Who's Jimmy Saville?
Who's Jimmy Saville?

that paedophile
that paedophile

And what relevancy does he have to me?
And what relevancy does he have to me?

Jimmy Saville - Jimmy Seville

you copied his name -ish
Reply 30
^damn this guy's good
Jimmy Saville - Jimmy Seville

you copied his name -ish

It's my name followed by favourite southern Spanish walled City...
It's my name followed by favourite southern Spanish walled City...

That's you in the profile picture isn't it

Are You Moh in disguise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
I won't complain about Liverpool being the 5th best club in the world :wink:

They aren't though lmao. The trophies are just part of the justification. Sorry.
Reply 34
Original post by Dirtybit
They aren't though lmao. The trophies are just part of the justification. Sorry.

Y u do dis? :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by sr90
That's you in the profile picture isn't it

Are You Moh in disguise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Makes sense why he calls himself after a nonce.
Nobody has ever claimed we're the biggest in the world. Biggest in England yes, probably 4th globally.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Not sure if srs but Chelsea have a CL AND an EL, they didn't even win the CWC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you on about, they won it twice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_UEFA_Cup_Winners%27_Cup

Yeah my bad. Got Villa and Forest mixed up for a second and thought it was Villa who had won it twice not Forest, hence the edit. Chelsea bottled the CWC recently though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Yeah my bad. Got Villa and Forest mixed up for a second and thought it was Villa who had won it twice not Forest, hence the edit. Chelsea bottled the CWC recently though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The CWC hasn't existed for nearly twenty years? It was merged with the UEFA Cup (now EL) in the late 90s.

You must be thinking of this - http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19423702

Quick Reply

Latest