The Student Room Group

Best way to Print A2?

Hello,

For Graphic Design I have to print up two posters in A2 size. The teacher tells us to go to a printing shop and print them, for £10 each.

My first question: I think I can get it done cheaper online. Should I, or is it best to go down to the printing shop, and why?

Also, one of my posters I did in less than A2 size. No problem; I've just resized it to A2. The other one, however, is bigger than A2 size. Now, I have resized it down to A2, but I had the thought that maybe I should keep the file the original size to print it at A2 as it might be better quality.

My second question: What do you think I should do? Keep it the original alrger size and print it as A2 or resize it down to A2 size and print it as A2?
1. There is nothing wrong with online, but you need to include postage. Becayse your prints are one-offs rather than large print runs, then that will affect the price a lot. It seems from the sites I looked at that once you add pistage, then the price moves up to £10 anyway. You also need to decide how urgently you need it. An online facility might offer a format or print material your local printer cannot.

Check both out, but in your case for speed, plus the advantage of geting to talk to the printer and being able to see in person what its likely to look at on various papers, then I would use the printer.

2. Not sure your second question makes any sense. If you keep it the original larger size and wnat all the picture, then you will need to print it A1. If you have digital control and can resize it, then I can't see it will make that much difference, so I'd resize it to A2. Go and look at some similar sized artwork and make your own mind up.
Original post by 999tigger
2. Not sure your second question makes any sense. If you keep it the original larger size and wnat all the picture, then you will need to print it A1. If you have digital control and can resize it, then I can't see it will make that much difference, so I'd resize it to A2. Go and look at some similar sized artwork and make your own mind up.

I meant, the digital file size is bigger than A2. When I normally have a file that's, for example, A3 size and I want to print A4 I don't resize the image to fit A4 I just set it to print in A4. So, I was wondering if I should keep this file the size it is and just set it to print in A2.

Also, do you know how long it takes to go to the printers and print out two posters? Is it like instant or do you have to wait 20 mins?
As you don't know the resolution that the printer will use, being 'bigger than A2' is meaningless. You've got so many pixels and throwing them away is not going to make any sense: their software will cope with as many as you can throw at it.

Depends, but a twenty minute wait is not unreasonable.
Original post by unprinted
As you don't know the resolution that the printer will use, being 'bigger than A2' is meaningless. You've got so many pixels and throwing them away is not going to make any sense: their software will cope with as many as you can throw at it.

Depends, but a twenty minute wait is not unreasonable.

So I shouldn't bother resizing it to A2?
Losing pixels before printing something is always a bad idea.
Original post by unprinted
Losing pixels before printing something is always a bad idea.

As I thought, thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest