The Student Room Group

National 5 Computing Science

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethan100
What did you get in the assignment ?

I don't know.

My teachers never bothered telling any of us.
Original post by A+Hunter
I don't know.

My teachers never bothered telling any of us.

It's so funny and weird... some computing teacher give you many attempts on the assignment to try and get something really high while others don't even bother to tell you.
Reply 62
How much is the assignment worth of your final grade?
Original post by Lewis H01
How much is the assignment worth of your final grade?

Assignment = 60 Marks 40%

Exam = 90 Marks 60%
It's so funny and weird... some computing teacher give you many attempts on the assignment to try and get something really high while others don't even bother to tell you.

Mine never told me either. Maybe it was too hard for her to say I actually did well in it :rofl:
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Mine never told me either. Maybe it was too hard for her to say I actually did well in it :rofl:

hhaha you showed her :P

Yep haha
Reply 67
How's everyone doing with their studying?
Exam is on Friday...
How's everyone doing with their studying?
Exam is on Friday...

Pretty good, just doing networks now :smile: What about you ?
Reply 69
Pretty good, just doing networks now :smile: What about you ?

I don't like the networks section and those pseucode questions worth (3,4 or 5 marks)

The rest is fine :wink:
I don't like the networks section and those pseucode questions worth (3,4 or 5 marks)

The rest is fine :wink:

I find the Laws very difficult to remember the differences and the names
Reply 71
I find the Laws very difficult to remember the differences and the names

Do we need to know selection and repetition? I've seen it on the 2014 N5 past paper, but I haven't seen it on the course notes...

Also do you know the differences between client severs and peer-to-peer networks?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do we need to know selection and repetition? I've seen it on the 2014 N5 past paper, but I haven't seen it on the course notes...

Also do you know the differences between client severs and peer-to-peer networks?

Yeah we do need to know the differences ... I had a question that come up on my prelim like that !
What do you do for revision? Do you know of any good websites that has questions or even notes on each sections of the course ?
Reply 74
What do you do for revision? Do you know of any good websites that has questions or even notes on each sections of the course ?

Personally, I like to write notes and try to include everything in the course. Also I just use SQA website for past papers and specimen paper.

Sorry, I meant to say could you tell me the differences between them?
Is there any more n5 computing practice papers to do after you have finished the ones on the sqa website
Reply 76
Could you tell me the differences between client servers and peer-to-peer networks?

@Ethan100
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone please explain the fetch-execute cycle to me ?
Could you tell me the differences between client servers and peer-to-peer networks?

@Ethan100

A client server network is a method of organising a network where you have lots of computer systems (the clients) that access different servers. (for example in schools and universities)

A peer to peer network is more like a network set up at home, or in a small office with less machines.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can someone please explain the fetch-execute cycle to me ?

The basic operation of a computer is called the ‘fetch-execute’ cycle. The computer fetches the instruction from its memory and then executes it. This is done repeatedly from when the computer is booted up to when it is shut down.

Fetching the instruction - The CPU fetches this from the main memory (the hard drive) and stores it in the CPU temporary memory

Executing the instruction - When the instruction has been decoded, the CPU can carry out the action that is needed. This is called executing the instruction

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending