The Student Room Group

electric field magnitude at mid point between 2 charges

Look at those attachments when calculating the magnitude of the electric field at the mid point between those charges when do i have to take in the direction of the e field? So i find net by finding the difference or the sum.
Original post by jonnypdot
Look at those attachments when calculating the magnitude of the electric field at the mid point between those charges when do i have to take in the direction of the e field? So i find net by finding the difference or the sum.

only the mid point between the positive and negative charges will have a magnitude, the midpoints of the other two fields have the field lines cancelling each other out at the midpoint.
You would have to find the electrostatic force, F between them and then use E=F/Q
Reply 2
Original post by The Rohan
only the mid point between the positive and negative charges will have a magnitude, the midpoints of the other two fields have the field lines cancelling each other out at the midpoint.
You would have to find the electrostatic force, F between them and then use E=F/Q

sorry forgot to say charges are not equal, also cant i use g=q/kr^2 at mid point and add them?
sorry forgot to say charges are not equal, also cant i use g=q/kr^2 at mid point and add them?

yeah if the charges aren't equal then find the difference between them and that will be the charge, Q, at the midpoint
Then wouldn't you use F=Qq/4pi(8.85x10^-12)(r^2) to find F
and then use E=F/Q and that should be fine
have you got the answers and figures to go with the question?
Reply 4
yeah if the charges aren't equal then find the difference between them and that will be the charge, Q, at the midpoint
Then wouldn't you use F=Qq/4pi(8.85x10^-12)(r^2) to find F
and then use E=F/Q and that should be fine
have you got the answers and figures to go with the question?

no but i once did a question between 2 charges and the ms showed you that they added the value for E at mid point of both charges
no but i once did a question between 2 charges and the ms showed you that they added the value for E at mid point of both charges

Could I see the question?
Reply 6
Could I see the question?

here

Quick Reply

Latest