The Student Room Group

Higher Accounting

I am considering self teaching crash higher accounting next year and sitting the exam as an external candidate at a college.

Has anyone on here done accounting at school or self taught? How did you find it?
What is the assignment like?
Does anyone have any textbooks or websites they would recommend?
In your opinion, how does it compare in terms of difficulty to admin and business management?

Any advice would be great :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it the now and half my class are crashing higher, some are finding it harder than others but if you put the time in and dedication you could get an A.

I couldn't compare it to Admin but in Accounting roughly 10% is theory and the rest is practical and some theory is just the same as business management, so I'd say slightly, only slightly, easier than Business.

If you are on the hunt for resources on the Higher Accounting page on SQA if you scroll to Related Information and find the document pack called Higher Accounting Terminology Resource Bank there is an abundance of questions there that helped me get an A in the prelim.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/47917.html
I have studied both Higher and National 5 Accounting, it is a subject which is suited to certain people, if you click with it then you will find the exams really easy and will score in the high 80's or low 90's while if you struggle with it and have a lack of understanding in regards to what you are doing you will most likely do pretty poor in exams.

The assignment is a third of the final exam but it is done on the computer over a split three hour session and is usually the same standard as the final exam with the benefit of a lot of time and being able to compare answers with others after each session of doing the assignment. Unfortunately there is a lack of accounting text books but there is one under 'Intermediate 2 and Higher Accounting' which has a lot of questions and some explanation but it is out of print and reflects the old course with some different topics i.e club accounts.

I am not in a position to compare it to Admin but Accounts is also a practical subject which requires slightly more intellect and ability than admin but its down to how you get on with the subject. It is harder than Business Management in the sense that you can't just learn the answers to exam questions and memorise theory but it if you have a natural aptitude for Accounts you will find it a lot easier to score high and do well in the final exam.
Original post by Aidan44
I'm doing it the now and half my class are crashing higher, some are finding it harder than others but if you put the time in and dedication you could get an A.

I couldn't compare it to Admin but in Accounting roughly 10% is theory and the rest is practical and some theory is just the same as business management, so I'd say slightly, only slightly, easier than Business.

If you are on the hunt for resources on the Higher Accounting page on SQA if you scroll to Related Information and find the document pack called Higher Accounting Terminology Resource Bank there is an abundance of questions there that helped me get an A in the prelim.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/47917.html

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by Caecillius_99
I have studied both Higher and National 5 Accounting, it is a subject which is suited to certain people, if you click with it then you will find the exams really easy and will score in the high 80's or low 90's while if you struggle with it and have a lack of understanding in regards to what you are doing you will most likely do pretty poor in exams.

The assignment is a third of the final exam but it is done on the computer over a split three hour session and is usually the same standard as the final exam with the benefit of a lot of time and being able to compare answers with others after each session of doing the assignment. Unfortunately there is a lack of accounting text books but there is one under 'Intermediate 2 and Higher Accounting' which has a lot of questions and some explanation but it is out of print and reflects the old course with some different topics i.e club accounts.

I am not in a position to compare it to Admin but Accounts is also a practical subject which requires slightly more intellect and ability than admin but its down to how you get on with the subject. It is harder than Business Management in the sense that you can't just learn the answers to exam questions and memorise theory but it if you have a natural aptitude for Accounts you will find it a lot easier to score high and do well in the final exam.

Original post by ___Sophie___

No Problem :smile:

If you are self teaching yourself just learn how to do each topic and do practice exercises on them and you should be fine
Hi! I'm doing Higher Accounting & Higher Admin. Higher admin is so much easier I feel. The higher admin course is 70% practical and 30% theory (SQA) Therefore, you can pick loads of marks up on the theory part even if you're not great at practical. Whereas higher accounting is difficult! There is very few books that are good or available and is a subject I wouldn't recommend self teaching. The course is spilt into three sections and throughout the course you complete 'NABs'. However, I feel the NABs should be harder as they do not prepare you for the exam in the slightest! I guess it is a good course for people who are interested and can cope with it but it's not easy..
Original post by Rhiannon353
Hi! I'm doing Higher Accounting & Higher Admin. Higher admin is so much easier I feel. The higher admin course is 70% practical and 30% theory (SQA) Therefore, you can pick loads of marks up on the theory part even if you're not great at practical. Whereas higher accounting is difficult! There is very few books that are good or available and is a subject I wouldn't recommend self teaching. The course is spilt into three sections and throughout the course you complete 'NABs'. However, I feel the NABs should be harder as they do not prepare you for the exam in the slightest! I guess it is a good course for people who are interested and can cope with it but it's not easy..

Yeah there is definitely a lack of resources for the course which is putting me off slightly so I'll have to think about it some more.

Do you think the course has a lot of content?
Original post by ___Sophie___
Yeah there is definitely a lack of resources for the course which is putting me off slightly so I'll have to think about it some more.

Do you think the course has a lot of content?

YES! I feel as though there is. Topics such as Partnerships, PLCs, Profit Maximisation & Overhead analysis w/ Job costing contain loads of work and are usually your big mark questions! It certainly gets better once you've done your assignment though, as those topics can't come up in the same form so it takes the pressure off as you have less to worry about.
Original post by Rhiannon353
YES! I feel as though there is. Topics such as Partnerships, PLCs, Profit Maximisation & Overhead analysis w/ Job costing contain loads of work and are usually your big mark questions! It certainly gets better once you've done your assignment though, as those topics can't come up in the same form so it takes the pressure off as you have less to worry about.

Ok thank you :smile:
What's our predictions for tomorrow then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spongebob74
What's our predictions for tomorrow then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overhead Analaysis & Job Costing (40 marks)
Partnerships (20 marks)
Profit max (20 marks
Maybe a manufacturing account or process costing for the other 20 marks?

Any thoughts yourself?
Reply 12
Overhead analysis (25)
Investment Appraisal (20)
Job Cost (15)
Manufacturing Account and Income Statement (20)
Appropriation Account and Current Account (10)
not sure what else
I thought manufacturing, process costing, decision making and job costing. No partnership. I wouldn't mind if it came up though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Think the specimen paper might be a hint?
Original post by RoryF69
Think the specimen paper might be a hint?

Yeah, agreed. How are we feeling about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Would be ace if it was cause just finished doing it haha, not bad got an A in the prelim. depends what comes up really. what about you?
I just got an A in the prelim so hoping for a good paper. Should be okay as long as nothing ridiculous comes up which I doubt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Yeah as long as there is no 20 markers on "make or buy" should go okay haha
Original post by RoryF69
Yeah as long as there is no 20 markers on "make or buy" should go okay haha

Praying for a huge overhead analysis question! Easy marks!

I'm hoping profit max didn't come up though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending