The Student Room Group

A-level Insight days 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iBall
Last minute app to CS, sorry for taking someones space lads (and ladies) :wink:

if I get rejected im blaming you
How long do the banks usually take to reply back to you? (JP Morgan, CS & HSBC)

Also, how many places are there for these A-Level insight days?

Regards
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aran2121

Regards

Did you not get the memo that nobody knows?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aran2121

Regards

lol who finishes off qns with regards on tsr lol super well mannered aha

that aside, mid june say 3 weeks before the event is when you'll find out. you'll be on summer holidays when you find out
Original post by tazza ma razza
lol who finishes off qns with regards on tsr lol super well mannered aha

that aside, mid june say 3 weeks before the event is when you'll find out. you'll be on summer holidays when you find out

Not necessarily, HSBC have given out offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Not necessarily, HSBC have given out offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for inspiring potential?
for inspiring potential?

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

sh1t. i i got an email saying they received my application and nothing since!?! When did they send out notifications?
sh1t. i i got an email saying they received my application and nothing since!?! When did they send out notifications?

Couple people I know heard on the 18th. In the same boat as you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

submitted the application on 8th may - not sure if that was too late? Still, just logged on to the portal thing, still says my application is under consideration. Are they already full?
Couple people I know heard on the 18th. In the same boat as you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right ok *PHEW* ahaha they were probably early birds then lol
Hey guys, anyone here been accepted for HSBC? I got an email yesterday confirming my place.

Also what date does the RBS one open?

Regards
Original post by ImTooSmart
Hey guys, anyone here been accepted for HSBC? I got an email yesterday confirming my place.

Also what date does the RBS one open?

Regards

A couple I know have yeah. Grats on getting a place!

Answered that, read back through the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A couple I know have yeah. Grats on getting a place!

Answered that, read back through the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you Princepieman.

You seem to have quite the knowledge about IB, probably the most of any member at school on this site. I was thinking of applying for IB spring weeks next year when I'm at Cambridge and have a couple of questions.

1. Do IB's rate Cambridge grads highly? I know this question sounds stupid but I've heard that you are equally likely to get in from all the so called "target" universities for any decent course, and because I'm studying maths I may seem like an introverted candidate. My personality is actually quite the opposite though! So for example, would it make a difference if I got a 1st/2.1, as getting a first for Cambridge Maths seems quite a lot of effort, whereas I could focus more on EC's.

2. How much do you know about IBD TMT? Would this be a decent way to get into venture capital later on in life, and a future investing in technology startups? I've looked at some other areas but they just don't seem to appeal to me as much as this does.

Regards
Original post by ImTooSmart
Thank you Princepieman.

No problemo.

You seem to have quite the knowledge about IB, probably the most of any member at school on this site. I was thinking of applying for IB spring weeks next year when I'm at Cambridge and have a couple of questions.

1. Do IB's rate Cambridge grads highly? I know this question sounds stupid but I've heard that you are equally likely to get in from all the so called "target" universities for any decent course, and because I'm studying maths I may seem like an introverted candidate. My personality is actually quite the opposite though! So for example, would it make a difference if I got a 1st/2.1, as getting a first for Cambridge Maths seems quite a lot of effort, whereas I could focus more on EC's.

They rate them as well as any other target uni student. If you're outgoing, and can connect well (read: build rapport) with your interviewer, you'll have no issues. In fact, it may even be a plus because of the stereotype attached to maths students.

1st or 2:1 doesn't make a difference. I'd say spend your time outside of academia wisely (get an analyst/fund manager role within CUIFS, do extracurricular stuff you find interesting etc), will look much better than a 1st and a barren CV.

Once you hit Cam, PM me, I'll get you in touch with a buddy that landed a summer gig at a BB via his spring week. Although, he's in trading!

2. How much do you know about IBD TMT? Would this be a decent way to get into venture capital later on in life, and a future investing in technology startups? I've looked at some other areas but they just don't seem to appeal to me as much as this does.

Well, I want to go into TMT so of course I know the most about it lol.

The issue with VC in Europe is how small the industry is. There just aren't as many seats available, period. If it were me, I'd look into nabbing a traditional seat at a private equity house focused on tech (Silver Lake, General Atlantic) here in LDN then take the MBA route to break into VC within the US, where the market is a lot larger.

Generally, VC has two paths:

1. Consulting/IBD --> Associate --> MBA --> Partner track

2. Start a tech company and be successful (or fail but in a spectacular way) then join as a Partner.

Another route I guess is to do internal M&A (dubbed: 'Corporate Development') at a big tech company (ala Google, FB, eBay, Intel etc). You'd usually be working on acquiring tech startups that align with the parent company's overall strategy - i.e. FB with Whatsapp. Some tech companies also have corporate VC funds (Google Ventures, Intel Ventures etc) where a transition might be possible to.

All in all, IBD keeps many doors open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got HSBC
got JFS
Original post by Daniel9998
got JFS

Wait, what is JFS?
i got insight week at pwc (not related) applied to RBS
Original post by The gains kinggg
i got insight week at pwc (not related) applied to RBS

On RBS website it says applications not open?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending