The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Imas1501
No you're not ahah I find Latin so interesting :smile: I'm doing A level next year ..

I'm doing Classical Civilisation next year...

I personally love Latin because it has made me the one person in all my classes who will not end a sentence with a preposition.

It is something up with which I will not put.
Has everyone found the A402 paper the hardest so far, I did ! :frown:
Reply 222
Original post by chunkinorrisjho
Has everyone found the A402 paper the hardest so far, I did ! :frown:

If that's the Language 2 Paper I agree, personally I found the difficulty like this: Language 1 > Prose > Language 2. I know I messed up one of the ablative absolutes, but there's no point worrying now and we just have to do our best to focus on the Verse. :smile:
Hello! - just saw this thread!

How did people find the papers so far and how are you guys feeling about the Verse paper on Thursday?? I'm doing Nisus and Euryalus and I find the poetry stuff so much harder to learn than the prose... :s-smilie:
Also for the 8 mark question today I kind of just saw the word "admirable" and started straight away talking about Pliny's spirit of self sacrifice and stoic heroism etc. and didn't mention why he is NOT admirable.. Can I still scrape at least a 5 on that..?
Original post by Ayl0731

How did people find the papers so far and how are you guys feeling about the Verse paper on Thursday?? I'm doing Nisus and Euryalus and I find the poetry stuff so much harder to learn than the prose... :s-smilie:

Yeah poetry for some reason is so much harder! Maybe because we were taught it after the prose :/ but this paper today went really well (I did Pliny and Arria), how about yours? And the language papers I found were pretty easy because I prefer language a lot more to the literature :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ayl0731
Also for the 8 mark question today I kind of just saw the word "admirable" and started straight away talking about Pliny's spirit of self sacrifice and stoic heroism etc. and didn't mention why he is NOT admirable.. Can I still scrape at least a 5 on that..?

I don't think you had to say that he wasn't admirable, there weren't many parts in the passage where he wasn't, I only mentioned one point of how he isn't admirable as he can be to obsessive and not have time for other things etc so could probably get full marks? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shoe_
If that's the Language 2 Paper I agree, personally I found the difficulty like this: Language 1 > Prose > Language 2. I know I messed up one of the ablative absolutes, but there's no point worrying now and we just have to do our best to focus on the Verse. :smile:

Yeah one of the ablative absolutes was sooo weird and it took me ages to get it.. It was like ancilla discente and I think it meant while the slave girl was leaving or something like that? Because it had a present participle after it .. Idk I might be wrong ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any one else find the Pliny 10 marker so hard today? Everyone else was fine but I only had like 1 point for that 10 marker
what word did everyone put down in the Pliny, when you had say how you know the husband cared for the boy or something...?
Original post by ayeshas
Any one else find the Pliny 10 marker so hard today? Everyone else was fine but I only had like 1 point for that 10 marker

I know right! I was really struggling to find than 3 points I managed to scrape together 6 but would only give myself markers for about 4 of them!!!
Original post by Ayl0731

Yeah find the verse much harder... I guess it's that the word order is a bit weird!

Original post by littlebitthick
what word did everyone put down in the Pliny, when you had say how you know the husband cared for the boy or something...?

Oh yeah I think you had to write down the Latin word or something? I wrote down persaepe.. or something with means very often or smith idk.... hope it was right!
Original post by shoe_

Oh my gosh I completely agree:biggrin: Language 2 was definitely my worst and I was happily surprised by Prose
Original post by littlebitthick

If you mean the question I think you mean, I put down 'persaepe' to show he's frequently asking.
Does anyone have any predictions for the types of 8 and 10 mark questions that could come up for Catullus and Ovid? Thanks:smile:
Original post by Ayl0731

I shan't think you need to talk about how he isn't admirable, for it asked the extent to which you think Pliny is admirable.
Original post by daisy.spillane
If you mean the question I think you mean, I put down 'persaepe' to show he's frequently asking.

Yeah- 'persaepe'; it's a time conjunction which shows he's so frequently asking.
How's everyone feeling about the verse??

As someone who is doing Nisus and Euryalus...

That last set of lines- 367-445- is SO hard to memorise fully.

But personally I find verse harder, possibly due to the fact that I have less interest in Rutulians than with some guy who likes reading...:tongue:

BUT...
If that lad Rhoetus comes up I am so, so happy.
Rhoetus is just....se amo.
Reply 238
Original post by Ayl0731

You should probably get an 8, if you made sense, because the question said to what extent, so if you showed that you thought he was an all out hero you should be fine.
Reply 239
Ok so i was wondering if i could get some advice! I have done 0 nisus and euryalus and i have only tonight to revise that as well as maths!

I know im stupid but i was really ill most of these past two years in hospital :frown:

Any tips on what to prioritise? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending