The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Philosophy and Ethics predictions 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh..I found the race is not important question quite odd...so I just said that racism would lead to violence and is a form of judging...and then linked all of the bible quotes to violence and judging...I hope that was allowed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I like the race is not important question - I found loads of biblical quotes (from old testament) such as "Love your neighbour like yourself" and "don't stand by whilst the blood of your neighbour is split" for an equality point and I made up some weird stuff about all of us being descended from Eve and in Hebrew her name is "Chava" which means life and she's the mother of all living and I linked it weirdly.

I've never seen a paper where it's that high.
Admittedly, I've only done 2 papers - but in my mock I got 43 in Ethics 2 and it was 47 UMS....

is max ums 50?
Original post by 1jonam16
is max ums 50?

Yep.
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I like the race is not important question - I found loads of biblical quotes (from old testament) such as "Love your neighbour like yourself" and "don't stand by whilst the blood of your neighbour is split" for an equality point and I made up some weird stuff about all of us being descended from Eve and in Hebrew her name is "Chava" which means life and she's the mother of all living and I linked it weirdly.

I've never seen a paper where it's that high.
Admittedly, I've only done 2 papers - but in my mock I got 43 in Ethics 2 and it was 47 UMS....

Oh damn I forgot to mention the love your neighbour! However, I did mention Jesus' teachings of agape, which includes love your neighbour. I used Galatians 3:28 which says the neither Jew nor Greek...for you are all in one Christ Jesus. Then I mentioned Martin Luther King. I just hope I got full marks on that question...
Original post by Faizanasif
The part e that said race is not important? That's the easiest part e I've ever had! The wording of it can be confusing, as I was confused for like 5 minutes. I literally spent like 5 minutes doing part a b c and d for equality, it was the easiest section. Though part e I wrote like 2 pages. I talked about ecumenism along with Taize. Then I talked about slavery that Christians forced black slaves to convert to Christianity? If I don't get 12 marks for that question, I'll be so annoyed...

I genuinely smiled when I saw that part e) question! Alongside equality I talked about extremist Christians (e.g. KKK and apartheid) and I also brought in the Jim Crow laws of 1950s America. As biblical evidence for these barbaric actions I used, "God separated light from darkness" to imply that de juro segregation is acceptable and that God distinguishes between races. I also talked about the story of the tower of Babel... I also liked how the question allowed some mention of attitudes to other religions so I briefly talked about exclusivism and Rahner and Hick! I agree that it was one of the best questions we could have been given!
Original post by Hermione118
I genuinely smiled when I saw that part e) question! Alongside equality I talked about extremist Christians (e.g. KKK and apartheid) and I also brought in the Jim Crow laws of 1950s America. As biblical evidence for these barbaric actions I used, "God separated light from darkness" to imply that de juro segregation is acceptable and that God distinguishes between races. I also talked about the story of the tower of Babel... I also liked how the question allowed some mention of attitudes to other religions so I briefly talked about exclusivism and Rahner and Hick! I agree that it was one of the best questions we could have been given!

Wow seems like you know a lot! :smile:

The part e that said ethics is the best place for teachings or something? That was also an easy one, as you can talk about all the topics studied on that section, like euthanasia, abortion, suicide etc. Looks like the grade boundaries would be high. If not, then I want at least an A in this exam!
Wow seems like you know a lot! :smile:

The part e that said ethics is the best place for teachings or something? That was also an easy one, as you can talk about all the topics studied on that section, like euthanasia, abortion, suicide etc. Looks like the grade boundaries would be high. If not, then I want at least an A in this exam!

Yes! I loved the medical ethics question (though loads of people said it was really hard!). I agree it allowed you to talk about literally everything that we have studied. I hope they're not too high... ahah, yes same! :smile:
Yes! I loved the medical ethics question (though loads of people said it was really hard!). I agree it allowed you to talk about literally everything that we have studied. I hope they're not too high... ahah, yes same! :smile:

There was a part a in the exam where it basically gave you the answer. Something like what would a Christian use to seek ethics advice or something? It's obviously the bible! People are saying they left it out, how can that be?! :s-smilie:
There was a part a in the exam where it basically gave you the answer. Something like what would a Christian use to seek ethics advice or something? It's obviously the bible! People are saying they left it out, how can that be?! :s-smilie:

I didn't answer any of that question because I thought it meant like what chapter/book in the bible! But maybe I was just overthinking ahaha
Original post by chloecam29
I didn't answer any of that question because I thought it meant like what chapter/book in the bible! But maybe I was just overthinking ahaha

Yeah it was an odd question. It was too obvious to be true, I see what you mean. I think I put Jesus' teachings on Agape in the Bible or something, because I remember it saying seeking forgiveness or something? I completely forgot! :s-smilie:

Yes, I was thinking that - Bible is the most obvious answer! It was a really bad question though... that shouldn't be worth one mark
Yes, I was thinking that - Bible is the most obvious answer! It was a really bad question though... that shouldn't be worth one mark

I remember when I was doing the last years past paper, it said something like name one thing that happens in a marriage ceremony, how can someone not know that?! :biggrin:
I remember when I was doing the last years past paper, it said something like name one thing that happens in a marriage ceremony, how can someone not know that?! :biggrin:

Hahah! Yes! I remember that question... sometimes I wonder whether they just throw these questions just to see who doesn't know what they're talking about. I mean, marriage is one of the biggest parts of human relationships and so if you don't know anything about it, you probably haven't done any revision.
Hahah! Yes! I remember that question... sometimes I wonder whether they just throw these questions just to see who doesn't know what they're talking about. I mean, marriage is one of the biggest parts of human relationships and so if you don't know anything about it, you probably haven't done any revision.

They probably do that haha. Whoever gets it wrong they just mark their exam harshly for them to fail ahaha :colone: To be fair, whoever gets them wrong shouldn't deserve to pass their Philosophy and Ethics GCSE
They probably do that haha. Whoever gets it wrong they just mark their exam harshly for them to fail ahaha :colone: To be fair, whoever gets them wrong shouldn't deserve to pass their Philosophy and Ethics GCSE

Bit harsh haha! But you're probably right!!
Bit harsh haha! But you're probably right!!

Think about it though. The examiner doesn't have a clue how clever anyone is when marking, and part a is probably there to judge that haha. They ask questions anyone should know even if they aren't doing the GCSE. For example, I remember a past paper I did and there was one saying 'what is a miracle?' I mean come on, that's pretty obvious :biggrin:

By the way, what A Levels are you looking to take? :smile:
Think about it though. The examiner doesn't have a clue how clever anyone is when marking, and part a is probably there to judge that haha. They ask questions anyone should know even if they aren't doing the GCSE. For example, I remember a past paper I did and there was one saying 'what is a miracle?' I mean come on, that's pretty obvious :biggrin:

By the way, what A Levels are you looking to take? :smile:

I just don't see why somebody would even want to take the exam if they couldn't answer some of those a) questions... I can just imagine the despair of the examiners!

I'm doing RS, english lit, chemistry and spanish, what about you? :smile:
I just don't see why somebody would even want to take the exam if they couldn't answer some of those a) questions... I can just imagine the despair of the examiners!

I'm doing RS, english lit, chemistry and spanish, what about you? :smile:

Exactly haha!

My choices are Maths, Economics, Psychology and Chemistry. I would consider doing RS, but my school only has 1 proper RS teacher, and the rest are supply teachers! Some A Level classes have the supply teachers as their current teacher, so I don't want to do that because there's a chance I'll fail! I seemed to cope with the RS revision guide, but I know I won't be able to with A Level, and I want to do maths based degree anyway so it shouldn't really matter too much

I'll look back on RS GCSE in the future, hopefully it would bring back good memories if I get an A :smile: Its a GCSE that I'll never forget :biggrin:
Reply 38
Any predictions for philosophy...?

💝Life's too short💝
Reply 39
In case anybody was wondering o wants to cheat in their mocks...
Medical Ethics:
a) What does the term 'cloning an animal' mean?
b) Two occasions when an abortion might not be considered acceptable to Christians.
c) Describe one reason why some Christians might consider suicide to be wrong.
d) Explain how Christian beliefs might affect attitudes to abortion.
e) 'Religion is the best guide to medical ethics'
Human Relationships:
a) State one Christian teaching about marriage.
b) Give two reasons why a Christian might approve of contraception.
c) Describe one Christian belief about the ethics of remarriage.
d) Explain different Christian attitudes to the roles of women and men in family life.
e) 'Marriage is the right place for sex'
Responsibility for the Planet:
a) Give one Christian attitude to the treatment of animals.
b) State: i) One scientific view of the origin of life ii) One Christian teaching about the origin of humanity
c) Describe one thing Christians might do in response to the environment.
d) Explain why Christians might feel responsibility for the planet
e) 'Only human life matters
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending