The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics - P1 - 25th May 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentshavefun
image.jpg

Any idea on how to do this question?
I'm so bad at drawing reflected rays or refraction, do you think it is likely to come tomorrow?

what year paper is it?
Please could someone define ''virtual images' and 'real images'??
Original post by Tasha_140
Please could someone define ''virtual images' and 'real images'??

Ones which form behind the mirror is defined as real and virtual is images which are not formed by real light rays
Original post by Omz123
Someone please break down a 6 marker on the Big Bang please

It would most likely be on what is the Big Bang? What provides evidence? (Or something along the lines of that)

The Big Bang theory states that the universe started from an initial point and then started to rapidly expand.

Cosmic microwave background radiation provides evidence for this as there is microwave radiation all over the observable universe. Microwaves are a form of EM radiation, and it's thought that shortly after the Big Bang there was infrared radiation too due to intense heat, this wave stretched to become microwaves, and so can only be proved by the Big Bang as the theory is that the universe is expanding

There is also the idea of red shift. All galaxies are showing red shift. This is where light from distant galaxies moves towards the red end of the spectrum, and so the observed wavelength is increased. This therefore shows that the galaxies are moving away from Earth. The further away the galaxies the bigger the redshift, which means they are travelling away further. This therefore provides evidence for the Big Bang theory.

I did this very quickly so there may be some errors, but I hope this gave you a nice little insight on it all :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by studentshavefun
image.jpg

Any idea on how to do this question?
I'm so bad at drawing reflected rays or refraction, do you think it is likely to come tomorrow?

remember to draw the arrows on the rays to show the direction!
Reply 65
Original post by PrinceKian
It would most likely be on what is the Big Bang? What provides evidence? (Or something along the lines of that)

The Big Bang theory states that the universe started from an initial point and then started to rapidly expand.

Cosmic microwave background radiation provides evidence for this as there is microwave radiation all over the observable universe. Microwaves are a form of EM radiation, and it's thought that shortly after the Big Bang there was infrared radiation too due to intense heat, this wave stretched to become microwaves, and so can only be proved by the Big Bang as the theory is that the universe is expanding

There is also the idea of red shift. All galaxies are showing red shift. This is where light from distant galaxies moves towards the red end of the spectrum, and so the observed wavelength is increased. This therefore shows that the galaxies are moving away from Earth. The further away the galaxies the bigger the redshift, which means they are travelling away further. This therefore provides evidence for the Big Bang theory.

I did this very quickly so there may be some errors, but I hope this gave you a nice little insight on it all :smile:

Thx also to clarify: shortly after the Big Bang there was gamma rays which had stretched to form microwaves which take up the universe today
Original post by Omz123
Thx also to clarify: shortly after the Big Bang there was gamma rays which had stretched to form microwaves which take up the universe today

I'm pretty sure it was IR waves and not gamma, their wavelength is well too small
Reply 67
Help
Reply 68
Original post by PrinceKian
I'm pretty sure it was IR waves and not gamma, their wavelength is well too small

Look at primrose kitten 10 hardest p1 6 markers...she says it was gamma to microwaves..?
Oh hell!
Reply 70
😴 Night!

Wake up early for last minute revision. :-)

Best of luck for tomorrow.
Original post by LNDNWASPS
Yeah Big band could be a 6 marker or comparing power stations or overhead and underground powerstations

what's cosmic background radiation could you tell me a bit about it if you could please
Reply 72
Original post by I'm a babe
what's cosmic background radiation could you tell me a bit about it if you could please

Afterthe big bang, it had created a gamma radiation which lingered in the background, after expansion occured by time its wavelength increased naturally and turned to microwaves. This CMBR helps support the big bang theory.
I feel relatively comfortable with this exam. I'd go so far to say I think I could ace it.

There's nothing in the (past) papers which I don't know about and I have a pretty good understanding of the said topics to be aware of.

Out of the 3 sciences, I'd say this should be the easiest because it will revolve around equations SHC, Efficiency, Power and Buy-back time. It also will ask for processes of Power stations, Kinetic theory etc... which are all quite straight forward.

Last years A* I believe from memory was 47/60.
Reply 74
CMBR (cosmic microwave background radiation) is microwave radiation filling the universe. This comes from the radiation present shortly after the Big Bang.

Spoiler

Reply 75
that was wavy
Does anyone have the mark scheme?
Original post by Lennie14!
Does anyone have the mark scheme?

I think they're constructing one at the moment at www.gcseanswers.com under the physics section.

I'm not too keen on how it's shaping up at the moment...:s-smilie:
Original post by Kezzabells
I think they're constructing one at the moment at www.gcseanswers.com under the physics section.

I'm not too keen on how it's shaping up at the moment...:s-smilie:

The address is www.gcseanswers.co.uk
Made so much easy mistakes. Well f u c k ing donE to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending